Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 2s lipo now or wait for 3s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2020, 07:08 AM   #1

Default 2s lipo now or wait for 3s

Just bought a Capra rtr and requires a shorty. I wanted to get a Gens Ace 3600 3s shorty but current stock is on back order, so I ordered 2 1500 3s from Amazon that will take a few weeks to be delivered. In the meantime I have no battery to run my new rig. LHS has the 7.4V 4000mAh 2S 50C Reaction 2.0 Hardcase LiPo in stock available to pick up today. My dilemma is should I buy the 2s so I can run my rig now and ultimately have one 4000 2s and two 1500 3s lipos or wait for 2 weeks for the 1500 3s lipos arrive and order the Gens Ace 3600 3s on back order. Reminder I will only have 2 1500 3s batteries to run until the Gens Ace 3600 3s arrives, whenever that would be,lo. What should I do?
nucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2s lipo now or wait for 3s

Regarding that 4000mAh, I don't think it'll fit.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:04 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Go get the 2s and run it. You can't tell me that you are ok with a brand new car just sitting there.
triptherip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triptherip View Post
Go get the 2s and run it. You can't tell me that you are ok with a brand new car just sitting there.

Ditto that. I even run mine on 2S at times. Works well in most scenarios.
Richr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Consider the fact that your Amazon order could be really late. I have one outstanding order right now that is taking far longer than it should. The pandemic is definitely affecting delivery times.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Regarding that 4000mAh, I don't think it'll fit.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Capra max battery dimensions are 26x98x47mm and battery dimension is 25x96x47mm. So should fit. Same battery that was sent to a few YouTubers that did the capra kit review
Old 05-15-2020, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by triptherip View Post
No I am not ok with it just sitting there. Especially with me being on holidays next week.lol
Old 05-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Consider the fact that your Amazon order could be really late. I have one outstanding order right now that is taking far longer than it should. The pandemic is definitely affecting delivery times.
This is very true
Old 05-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucklehead View Post
Capra max battery dimensions are 26x98x47mm and battery dimension is 25x96x47mm. So should fit. Same battery that was sent to a few YouTubers that did the capra kit review
That's the dimensions of the battery compartment (can't really call it a "tray")...but, good luck fitting something that long in there (I have 2, so I do know). There's a thread dedicated to Capra batteries, which I highly recommend reading. The longest pack I've been able to fit in there is the ProTek 1800mAh 3S 90C (86.5mm), and it's a tight fit. When you take into consideration the battery's wires, you end up with less USEABLE space...something a lot of people didn't take into consideration when randomly ordering batteries. That's why I HIGHLY recommend reading that Capra battery thread. Plenty of people (myself, included) have posted in there what fits, and what doesn't. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #10

Quote:
That's the dimensions of the battery compartment (can't really call it a "tray")...but, good luck fitting something that long in there (I have 2, so I do know). There's a thread dedicated to Capra batteries, which I highly recommend reading. The longest pack I've been able to fit in there is the ProTek 1800mAh 3S 90C (86.5mm), and it's a tight fit. When you take into consideration the battery's wires, you end up with less USEABLE space...something a lot of people didn't take into consideration when randomly ordering batteries. That's why I HIGHLY recommend reading that Capra battery thread. Plenty of people (myself, included) have posted in there what fits, and what doesn't. Good luck.

I was just going by the dimensions as advertised. I am Still learning and obviously my inexperience shows. I’ll take your word that it will not fit and I’ll look at the Capra battery thread. Appreciate your kind reply.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was just going by the dimensions as advertised. I am Still learning and obviously my inexperience shows. I’ll take your word that it will not fit and I’ll look at the Capra battery thread. Appreciate your kind reply.
You're welcome. Honestly, I'm not all that far ahead of you...only got into crawling 7 months ago, starting with the Capra. My first packs were the smaller (and even shorter) 1400mAh. It's want until after building that I, as work many others, started "playing around" with other packs. It was almost like a 'competition' to see who could figure out what the largest (physical dimensions, as well as mAh) pack that would actually fit was.

I'm used to getting 15-20 minutes on a 5000mAh in my off-road vehicles...so, when I discovered I was getting approx double that runtime in the CAPRA, on a small 1400mAh pack, I finally understood why 3000mAh, and larger, wasn't needed. With the 1800mAh, I get approx 45min.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Consider the fact that your amazon order may be really early too.... I've had some things (flysky) take REALLY long. And had others show up 2 weeks early.

With that said... I'd get a 2s anyways. I don't have a Capra, but on my T4 stadium truck, I tend to be happy driving around on 2s 80% of the time, and don't have to worry about tearing it up too much... then i have a 3s to get wild on.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

People have said the gearing is maybe a bit high on the Capra, could 2S be a better fit due to this I wonder?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #14

The thing I don’t understand is that this 2s reaction battery is what horizon is recommending. HH sent Harely Designs a Capra kit along with the now discontinued version(DYNB3800EC) of this 2s battery. The new version(DYNB402596H3), same dimensions as the discontinued version. RC Girl also recommended this battery when the kit first came out. Spoke to my LHS and asked if this 2s battery would fit in the Capra and he replied “ this is what Horizon is recommending.” Obviously this battery doesn’t fit based on forum members own experiences, so why mislead the public and recommend this battery for the Capra?
Old 05-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The thing I don’t understand is that this 2s reaction battery is what horizon is recommending. HH sent Harely Designs a Capra kit along with the now discontinued version(DYNB3800EC) of this 2s battery. The new version(DYNB402596H3), same dimensions as the discontinued version. RC Girl also recommended this battery when the kit first came out. Spoke to my LHS and asked if this 2s battery would fit in the Capra and he replied “ this is what Horizon is recommending.” Obviously this battery doesn’t fit based on forum members own experiences, so why mislead the public and recommend this battery for the Capra?
Honestly, wish I had an answer for your last question...but, I don't. In a matter of speaking, it's not much different than what HH "recommends" as Servos for HH-branded kits (ie. they're always less powerful, and slower, than what is TRULY needed. All of my off-road racing vehicles are TLR (part of Losi, and, thus, a HH-owned company), and this is something I learned very early on. I always look up the specs of the "recommended" servo, then get something that is at least 25-30% stronger.

Getting back to the battery, if memory serves me correctly, even Harley said he had trouble in fitting the battery, and that the "recommended" battery was too long to realistically be used.

Old 05-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
People have said the gearing is maybe a bit high on the Capra, could 2S be a better fit due to this I wonder?
That all depends on the motor. As JRH said, "Gear down, and Volt up." For the motor I went with in my first Capra (2080kV), the stock gearing (14T) was to high. You'll find several people who've dropped down to a 10T pinion (the smallest that fits in the stock transmission). As I'm using the Vitavon Racing machined trans housing, I was able to drop down to a 9T pinion. The Castle 2080kV motor, with 3S battery, on the 9T pinion, is 'perfect' (I should also mention that I've installed the TGH OD gears in the front portals).

Old 05-15-2020, 11:35 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

IMO any 3s lipo cheapo is better then a 2s lipo. if its not on amazon try some where else and go for the 3s. Even if its smaller, will just help to lower you center of gravity.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:58 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
IMO any 3s lipo cheapo is better then a 2s lipo. if its not on amazon try some where else and go for the 3s. Even if its smaller, will just help to lower you center of gravity.
Exactly. As for Amazon (and eBay), there are currently LOTS of packs that would fit. There's also Amain, HH, RPP, and countless others. Even a lot of LHSs, such as Sheldon's Hobbies (San Jose, CA), Friendly Hobbies (Las Vegas), and Indy RC Raceway & Hobbies (Indianapolis), have an online presence that people can order from.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Exactly. As for Amazon (and eBay), there are currently LOTS of packs that would fit. There's also Amain, HH, RPP, and countless others. Even a lot of LHSs, such as Sheldon's Hobbies (San Jose, CA), Friendly Hobbies (Las Vegas), and Indy RC Raceway & Hobbies (Indianapolis), have an online presence that people can order from.

I am in Canada so buying lipos from the USA is a pain from what others have experienced. I just received an email from a Canadian distributor that their Gens Ace Adventure 3600 3s lipo has been restocked and my LHS is a dealer . so I just sent off an email to my LHS to confirm they are a dealer.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I am in Canada so buying lipos from the USA is a pain from what others have experienced. I just received an email from a Canadian distributor that their Gens Ace Adventure 3600 3s lipo has been restocked and my LHS is a dealer . so I just sent off an email to my LHS to confirm they are a dealer.
Email? If they're your LHS, why not call? It's faster. As for online, Amazon & eBay, both, have Canadian websites, plus Amazon had Canadian Fulfillment Centers.

2s lipo now or wait for 3s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I know it'll be a while, but I can't wait... cuban b Chit Chat 17 02-15-2009 09:28 PM
Cant wait rmp750 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 02-13-2009 08:26 PM
Can't wait! SStone Newbie General 6 12-23-2007 09:14 AM