Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: SHV500 Servo Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #1

Default SHV500 Servo Question

Does the servo include the adapter to go from the balance port on the battery to the JST port on the servo? Or is that something I would need to purchase/build separately? I hate working with JST connectors, mostly because I can't seem to make myself buy the crimper for them.

I tried a quick search and could not find this so I apologize if it's already been answered on here.
IronOKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SHV500 Servo Question

The SHV500 V3 does include a JST lead so no need to crimp, just soldering.

Side note, I shelled out for the nice crimper and its been a great tool for electrical work, well worth it though I'm a heavy user.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

The JST lead would need to be soldered to your esc’s battery plug. Note that once the battery is plugged in your servo has power regardless of what your esc and remote are doing. Never want to leave a lipo plugged in anyway but this just adds to another reason why so keep that in mind.

It does not come with an adapter to power off the balance port but it does come with the jst plug to solder to your esc battery plug.

Check out Justin’s overview of the servo here if you’d like, he touches on the install.

Shv500v3
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
The JST lead would need to be soldered to your esc’s battery plug. Note that once the battery is plugged in your servo has power regardless of what your esc and remote are doing. Never want to leave a lipo plugged in anyway but this just adds to another reason why so keep that in mind.

It does not come with an adapter to power off the balance port but it does come with the jst plug to solder to your esc battery plug.

Check out Justin’s overview of the servo here if you’d like, he touches on the install.

Shv500v3
+1
Rinanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #5

Quote:

Shv500v3

Perfect that's exactly what I needed to know!
Old 07-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
The SHV500 V3 does include a JST lead so no need to crimp, just soldering.

Side note, I shelled out for the nice crimper and its been a great tool for electrical work, well worth it though I'm a heavy user.

I supposed I need to get one, between this hobby and building other electrical projects I deal with them enough to justify it. I have a nice set of butt connector pliers and they are worth their weight in gold.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #7

Hey everyone, I’m fairly new to the crawling side of RC. I just finished getting my Trx-4 sport kit together and am running all Holmes Hobbies electronics; Br-xl esc, SHV500 V3 servo, and Trailmaster Sport 21t 550 motor, and no BEC (due to not needing one).

My question is, due to the SHV500 V3 servo running directly to my battery, do I need to remove the red wire that goes from the esc to the receiver?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watermelon_Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #8
Gold Star Baby!

No need to pull any wires, especially from the esc. The Holmes v3 comes with the plugs needed to work with the direct battery power with no additional adapters. Just need to solder the jst plug into your esc battery lead.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
No need to pull any wires, especially from the esc. The Holmes v3 comes with the plugs needed to work with the direct battery power with no additional adapters. Just need to solder the jst plug into your esc battery lead.
I believe the red wire is already removed.
joaquinriviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquinriviera View Post
I believe the red wire is already removed.
Correct. From the servo wire/plug that goes to the receiver.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:00 PM   #11

Thank you all for your quick response. I should have been more specific. This pic is from another rig that I run, except this one has a BEC. If you notice, the red wire coming from the esc (Ch.2) is removed.

I’m just curious as to if I need to do that same thing with my rig that I am running the HH Br-xl and SHV-500 V3 servo. I have ran it like this perfectly fine for a few days with no issues, I just do not want any long term issues to arise because of it. Any input is appreciated.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

As mentioned above you're fine but heres a bit more detail: EDIT nevermind I just noticed this is another rig. If the BEC is plugged into the receive and you arent using a bypass adapter you have it correct with the red wire removed from the ESC plug. A bypass adapter takes care of the red wire essentially, sending power directly from the BEC to the servo while skipping over the receiver.

The red wire on the ESC plug is removed when a BEC is used because the BEC has a red wire thats supplying power to the receiver and if you didnt remove the red wire on the ESC you would be double powering it. I know you dont have a BEC with your setup but this servo is essentially powered separately just the same as a BEC would be and they can both lead to double powering the receiver. If you do double power a receiver it shouldn't burn it up, it will most likely act weird and glitch out.

So since the Holmes hobbies servo only has a ground and signal wire (no power wire) it isnt feeding voltage to the receiver and you're okay to leave the red wire on the ESC plug. If you remove this wire and you'll have nothing to power up the receiver.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-22-2020 at 01:25 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
As mentioned above you're fine but heres a bit more detail: EDIT nevermind I just noticed this is another rig. If the BEC is plugged into the receive and you arent using a bypass adapter you have it correct with the red wire removed from the ESC plug. A bypass adapter takes care of the red wire essentially, sending power directly from the BEC to the servo while skipping over the receiver.

The red wire on the ESC plug is removed when a BEC is used because the BEC has a red wire thats supplying power to the receiver and if you didnt remove the red wire on the ESC you would be double powering it. I know you dont have a BEC with your setup but this servo is essentially powered separately just the same as a BEC would be and they can both lead to double powering the receiver. If you do double power a receiver it shouldn't burn it up, it will most likely act weird and glitch out.

So since the Holmes hobbies servo only has a ground and signal wire (no power wire) it isnt feeding voltage to the receiver and you're okay to leave the red wire on the ESC plug. If you remove this wire and you'll have nothing to power up the receiver.

Thanks so much for clarifying. I really appreciate all of the input from everyone.

SHV500 Servo Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HH SHV500 12V Servo Problems The Chad Electronics 0 05-14-2017 09:46 AM
SHV500 servo twitch shakemandril Electronics 7 08-30-2016 09:42 PM