Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need help with DX5C, steers with throttle input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #1

Default Need help with DX5C, steers with throttle input

While on vacation, I tried to set my sons Bomber up for larger tires and messed with the steering trim. Didn't really change much except travel, expo, endpoint.

Somehow I managed to get the steering to turn slightly right with forward throttle and slightly left with reverse.

AVC and mixing is inhibited.

Any thoughts?
adauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Need help with DX5C, steers with throttle input

Did you do anything with mixing? EDIT: reading comprehension, nevermind on the mixing bit.

also is the servo actually moving? or is it simple veering left and right on its own?

I ask because its pretty typical once you have trim set to go straight (while moving forward) for a rig to veer left a bit in reverse.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-25-2021 at 06:53 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:35 PM   #3

I did have the wheels off the ground, and the servo will turn. The steering servo even starts to turn before the wheels turn.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:22 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

AVC dosent just turn off some times, power it on and rotate the rig in the air, the wheels should remain in place if avc is actually off.
If they move, you need to plug something into the 3rd ch er something lake that to turn it off, or possibly turn avc on and reduce the value to zero. then maybe turn it back off.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:55 AM   #5

On the DX5 series, “Inhibited” doesn’t mean that the function is disabled, just that the control of it by the transmitter is “inhibited”. As a test, go back and re-enable AVC on the transmitter and set AVC gain to zero and see if it makes the problem go away (you may also try this with mixing although I have no experience with it). If it does fix the issue you have to disable AVC on the receiver or just leave it active on the transmitter and set the gain to zero without assigning a trim button to change it.
BigWonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:33 PM   #6

I tried what was suggested, no changes.

My only guess is I changed something and turned off the model or transmitter then tried to change again...not sure. I've honestly never had these problems until I started messing with the steering settings.

So I went ahead and started over which has added another issue....no throttle

I reset the model, and re-binded the receiver. I'm using a Kastle Mamba X combo with the SRS6000 receiver.

I have binded the receiver, and I have steering along with the throttle controlling the steering with no motor control.

I'm sure I have overlooked something...again so bear with me.

Looking to now get the throttle contol over to the speed controller.....grrr.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:08 PM   #7

Quick update, I did finally complete the bind process, was likely the length of pause between calibration steps.

Throttle works,.steering works,.however the same issue holds....the steering moves slightly with the throttle, with the AVC on 0%. Also, I don't have reverse, only left steering with reverse.

This is freaking nuts. Car has been perfect for over a year, this only started with me changing some travel and rates.

Last edited by adauphin; 06-27-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #8

Moving along,.I have reverse, was a trim setting...duh.

Still have steering mixing with the throttle, can't shut it down.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:53 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

In order to disable AVC completely you must insert a 2nd bind plug into the disable port when binding.

Just throwing that out there in case you missed that.

You could also try starting over with your profile, delete the old one and start from scratch.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:11 PM   #10

Does the AVC affect the mixing when the vehicle is sitting still? I can have the receiver off, transmitter on, and watch the steering and throttle mix on the mixing screen work simultaneously.

When I pull the trigger, the steering values change but at a lower rate. This is what I cannot change, seems to be only in the transmitter.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:08 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I dont know, I never use AVC, I only know its on if I am carrying the car, or rotating it in the air while inspecting.
Resetting the transmitter should fix what ever you may have done.
Maybe update the transmitter firmware.
Who knows.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #12

I was on a lengthy tech call yesterday with Spektrum and we went over just about everything. We reset and deleted all the data, replicated all the settings a few different times, their controller did not mix the steering, and mine stayed the same.

We did discuss a firmware update but they said that would not fix this issue.

The transmitter has been dropped a few times on accident in the last 2 years, it's looking like an issue that would require me sending the transmitter in.

Part of me at least wants to try a firmware update but I will likely purchase another TX and if I get this one fixed I can use it for another application.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

It's not that the new firmware might fix it, but it might to a better data reset is my thinking. I believe it gives an option to wipe the data when you update the firmware.
It's very unlikely that a drop damaged the board in a way that there would be interference from the throttle to the steering pot, but I suppose its not impossible. That's chasing unicorns though.
Also try creating a new profile and binding that to the car.
If it persists, I would suspect the receiver too. So try a different one if you have one.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:15 PM   #14

I'll keep this updated, I will get the USB cable today and see what happens. My guess is the receiver is good as the transmitter does this on it's own. Visible on the mixing screen, the steering slider moves with the throttle.

Need help with DX5C, steers with throttle input - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car steers but no throttle Budget rc Newbie General 6 03-24-2020 05:08 AM
Need help with binding issue / DX5C / runaway throttle Titan 21t Davey Electronics 4 06-17-2018 02:16 AM
Gearing vs max throttle input to control heat. Shawns303 Electronics 41 07-17-2017 09:02 PM
truck steers when in reverse and full throttle problem bro_die Axial SCX-10 3 07-08-2011 04:20 PM
Problem with Tekin FX-R - throttle input makes the truck jump formward Tomy Electronics 9 01-20-2010 01:30 PM