Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: RCBee NEEDS HELP W HOLMES HOBBIES BR-XL.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default RCBee NEEDS HELP W HOLMES HOBBIES BR-XL.....

Aloha Crawlers!!!!

I need some help today with my HOLMES HOBBIES BRXL ESC I have 3 of them have never had a problem and I chenge the settings with a Castle B Link controller.

Yesterday I was changing some settings on my TRX4 and after finishing I noticed the acceleration was crazy both in forward and reverse so I went back and set the b link again and the green light would just flash and no throttle, so I went ahead and I programmed the throttle trigger and I got my throttle back but now it has no sensitivity to the throttle and punches so hard in reverse and even when I set the transmitter to lower the endpoint for reverse it still is punching back very hard!!

I also noticed when I tried to change the settings on the b link and finished setting them my throttle would be out again so now the throttle only works when settings are on default and the throttle is punching like crazy in reverse so im stuck here in the Honey Help a Bee out Please and BUZZZ......
Attached Images

Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: RCBee NEEDS HELP W HOLMES HOBBIES BR-XL.....

Just took the rig out to my backyard course and it performed beautifully except for that reverse it’s unforgiving it punches so hard even though I took the EPA to 5% it still punched but little slow reverse like before so I have no idea what’s going on with this thing!
Old 10-08-2021, 04:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyman108 View Post
Just took the rig out to my backyard course and it performed beautifully except for that reverse it’s unforgiving it punches so hard even though I took the EPA to 5% it still punched but little slow reverse like before so I have no idea what’s going on with this thing!
John Holmes has a tech question thread somewhere on here. He's pretty good about answering questions.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Make sure you didnt bump the trims on your radio and turn the throttle down a bunch or something.

If you've got one you might try programaing it with a Castle link instead of the B-link just to eliminate it as a potential cause.

does your radio have an adjustable throttle throw? some have a 50/50 setting and a 70/30
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Make sure you didnt bump the trims on your radio and turn the throttle down a bunch or something.

If you've got one you might try programaing it with a Castle link instead of the B-link just to eliminate it as a potential cause.

does your radio have an adjustable throttle throw? some have a 50/50 setting and a 70/30
BUZZ Humboldt....

Im using a Flysky gt5 never had a problem before with the BRXL esc's the only settings I used previously were sound off and I adjusted the reverse rate but I had no previous issue with that massive acceleration!

I suspect the castle usb link will be better too im being lazy with the b link but it did work previously no problem!

Truthfully the only reason im using the BRXL is the amp rate and the fact I could use a 4s lipo to run the 2 Holmes shv800 servos which I did run this afternoon its almost too much power the front servo stripped the horn clean in like 10 mins of crawling!!!! im also just temted to go back to a HW 1080 or a mamba x even though I run a Brushed Holmes motor!!
Old 10-09-2021, 07:02 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Pretty sure Holmes doesn't recommend the Bluetooth module specifically because it does weird stuff with throttle ramping and curves.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:14 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Pretty sure Holmes doesn't recommend the Bluetooth module specifically because it does weird stuff with throttle ramping and curves.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

BUZZZZ VOODOOBREW....

Sounds like you hit the bullseye and that's all it has done is mess with the throttle in about 3 different crazy ways and I know castle link will have more options so ill give it try today and see!!! Thanks Man.... BUZZZZZ.......
Old 10-09-2021, 07:47 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i think the break curve is the setting that needs adjusting for better reverse throtle control i think
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i think the break curve is the setting that needs adjusting for better reverse throtle control i think

I agree with this.

I did the brake curve similar to the throttle curve in my mamba x and reverse is much more controllable.

Did the same with the BRXL and similar outcome.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
Were you using the castle B-link??
Old 10-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
I agree with this.

I did the brake curve similar to the throttle curve in my mamba x and reverse is much more controllable.

Did the same with the BRXL and similar outcome.
Hey Benp were you also using the Castle B-link?

I did not adjust the throttle curve but tried it didn't do anything when I tried to change it on the b-link.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hey Benp were you also using the Castle B-link?

I did not adjust the throttle curve but tried it didn't do anything when I tried to change it on the b-link.

Sorry. I use the Castle Link.

But my reverse has always been rough with anything but the softest touch.

This was mamba x and various Holmes motors.

I mentioned this in trx4 section and someone said to adjust brake curve.

So I adjusted it the same as my throttle curve 70/30.

I now have a finesse reverse. Absolutely beautiful. I can pick my way out backwards as slow as I want to go.

I put a BRXL in my Gspeed paired with 11t Stubby Magnum. Again same throttle and brake curves.

Same outcome as the Mamba X. Slow as I want forward and slow as I want reverse.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:48 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Your a godsend Benp! Want to get that reverse smooth like butter like you’re talking!

So I can take this to the actual mountain here in Tennessee and take an actual video And maybe I can go out today or tomorrow Sne get that uploaded after I fix this break curve! So again so I get it right 70/30 means 70 forward 30 reverse??

And both throttle and break curve 70/30 ?
Old 10-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Your a godsend Benp! Want to get that reverse smooth like butter like you’re talking!

So I can take this to the actual mountain here in Tennessee and take an actual video And maybe I can go out today or tomorrow Sne get that uploaded after I fix this break curve! So again so I get it right 70/30 means 70 forward 30 reverse??

And both throttle and break curve 70/30 ?

Haha. Nope. Nope. Nope.

On the curve 70/30 means 70% throttle input = 30% power.

Give me a moment and I’ll have pictures of the curves for you

ETA -

So this is my BRXL curve settings.

Hope this helps.

One thing I have noticed is that with this reverse curve, the self righting when flopped on your side isn’t as easy.

Oh well. I’ll take that compromise.

Last edited by Benp; 10-09-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:40 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Haha. Nope. Nope. Nope.

On the curve 70/30 means 70% throttle input = 30% power.

Give me a moment and I’ll have pictures of the curves for you

ETA -

So this is my BRXL curve settings.

Hope this helps.

One thing I have noticed is that with this reverse curve, the self righting when flopped on your side isn’t as easy.

Oh well. I’ll take that compromise.

BEMP Thank you so much im going to get down to the hobby room today and fix the those brake and throttle curves!! My only question is does it let you input the number figure via keyboard or do you have to move the curve with the mouse???
Old 10-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
BEMP Thank you so much im going to get down to the hobby room today and fix the those brake and throttle curves!! My only question is does it let you input the number figure via keyboard or do you have to move the curve with the mouse???

Click and drag.

The graph is marked.

Here is a HH video discussing tuning the BRXL. Mine is tuned verbatim to the video with the exception of the reverse/ brake curve.

https://youtu.be/SmKM7IZBhzM

And actually my BRXL came stock programmed to Holmes suggestions with the exception of the throttle and brake curves.

If you have a Mamba X I highly recommend checking out HH tuning videos for that. Excellent excellent! I cannot recommend them enough.

The biggest benefit of HH tuning videos I have found is that he explains the “why” of each setting.

Hope this was helpful.

RCBee NEEDS HELP W HOLMES HOBBIES BR-XL..... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
holmes hobbies 7t non ya Electronics 6 02-11-2009 08:22 PM