Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MambaX BEC and High Volt Servo Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2022, 12:23 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default MambaX BEC and High Volt Servo Question

I’m wondering if the built in BEC in the Mamba X is sufficient when using a Savox 1210SG servo. It says the BEC can handle 8amp 8V. Does anyone have experience with it?

Setup
Mamba X: 8V 8amp BEC
Savox 1210SG: 7400mA at 7.4v
HH Puller Pro Stubby V2: Not sure of Amps
FS-BS6 Receiver: 8.4v max input power
Battery: 1400mAh 3s 60C
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2022, 12:33 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: MambaX BEC and High Volt Servo Question

I run 8v with my nitro pro servo in my gspeed v3 with no issues. Runnin the flysky gt5 with a ai6 rx, which will handle 8.4v like the bs6 rx does.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 01:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

the savox servo i used would brown out if not used with a capasitor/glitch buster and even then it had its limits and that was with the
mamba monster x it dident mater what the votage was set at and it evetualy burned up from to much heat

but honestly it all comes down to your rig at your set up if your rig is 6lbs im sure it would be fine but but if its 12lbs with 2.2 tires that are 400oz each you might have a problem
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
the savox servo i used would brown out if not used with a capasitor/glitch buster and even then it had its limits and that was with the
mamba monster x it dident mater what the votage was set at and it evetualy burned up from to much heat

but honestly it all comes down to your rig at your set up if your rig is 6lbs im sure it would be fine but but if its 12lbs with 2.2 tires that are 400oz each you might have a problem
What was the setup you burned your mamba X on? Mines going on a carbon fiber Gspeed with 1.9s, so not too heavy at all.
Old 04-17-2022, 03:08 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

You're fine running that servo from a mamba x. We're talking less than 500oz-in of torque. I'm running an NSDRC RS1 straight from a mamba x right now and it's trying to put out 1200+ oz-in of torque. It browns out sometimes, but not enough for me to install a bec, since it's in the truck temporarily.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 06:16 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
You're fine running that servo from a mamba x. We're talking less than 500oz-in of torque. I'm running an NSDRC RS1 straight from a mamba x right now and it's trying to put out 1200+ oz-in of torque. It browns out sometimes, but not enough for me to install a bec, since it's in the truck temporarily.
Wow. I’m genuinely curious, what is a situation where you would even need 1000+ oz of torque?
Old 04-17-2022, 06:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
Wow. I’m genuinely curious, what is a situation where you would even need 1000+ oz of torque?
Never. I'd never need my dick to be 12" long either, but if I had the option, I'd take it... haha.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:17 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
Never. I'd never need my dick to be 12" long either, but if I had the option, I'd take it... haha.
I would make mine 12.3” so I could mount my power wagon body to it.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:54 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

savox servos are power hungry they can and will draw more than 8 amps but probably not on a ultra light the 10 amp becs seem to handle them just fine

one of our members did a pretty good test of servos and.there power draw tang i think it is rc review is his channel i think
although it was a very simple test he did a pretty good job getting the basic info like amp draw it might be worth a watch
it wont make you a expert or anything but its still good info
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
savox servos are power hungry they can and will draw more than 8 amps but probably not on a ultra light the 10 amp becs seem to handle them just fine

one of our members did a pretty good test of servos and.there power draw tang i think it is rc review is his channel i think
although it was a very simple test he did a pretty good job getting the basic info like amp draw it might be worth a watch
it wont make you a expert or anything but its still good info
That guys channel is awesome. He actually has a video building up a very similar Gspeed V3 to mine. Only exception is he’s using an SHV500v3 Holmes hobbies servo. I just looked up the specs and it looks like it’s an 11v-14v servo. I don’t believe he was using a BEC, just the Mamba X. That being said, maybe the HH servo isn’t nearly as power hungry and won’t ever come close to needing that much juice.

Video:
https://youtu.be/Fj2WkeaGDkw

Edit: Just realized the SHV500v3 servo is a direct power servo.

Last edited by SaltyDog; 04-18-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Putting this is a new box so it doesn’t get jumbled up, but would a possible solution to avoid a BEC be to get an XT60 to JST adapter for my battery, and then use a Holmes Hobbies bypass adapter to give my Savox 1210SG servo direct power?

Or alternate solution, get a XT60 duel JST pass though, plug ESC into the XT60 plug and servo into JST for direct servo power?

Just trying to avoid installing a BEC due to limited mounting space. The extra wires from a bypass adapter or pass through are easier to deal with and conceal with some wire sleeves and shrink tubing.

Last edited by SaltyDog; 04-18-2022 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Links
Old 04-18-2022, 12:23 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I’ve been running a protek 370tbl off my mamba x no problem. I’d run it first and see if you have any problems before buying a bec and adding potentially unnecessary wiring

Also, I just looked and the 1210sg says it’s only rated to 7.4v. Probably not a good idea to direct power unless you’re only running 2s, and for the love of tiny trucks I hope you’re on 3s at least.

Either way the mamba should handle that servo no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by twade984; 04-18-2022 at 12:29 PM.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:49 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I’ve been running a protek 370tbl off my mamba x no problem. I’d run it first and see if you have any problems before buying a bec and adding potentially unnecessary wiring

Also, I just looked and the 1210sg says it’s only rated to 7.4v. Probably not a good idea to direct power unless you’re only running 2s, and for the love of tiny trucks I hope you’re on 3s at least.

Either way the mamba should handle that servo no problem

So if I were to do direct power to servo, I’d need a servo that can handle at least 11v to match up with my 3s batteries? Or else risk burning out my servo.

I already have a CC 10Amp BEC a could potentially desolder from my SCX10II, but just want to avoid all the wires and finding a place to mount it. Not to mention the connection wires are so short, you need the thing to be within a few inches of the ESC power cables.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
So if I were to do direct power to servo, I’d need a servo that can handle at least 11v to match up with my 3s batteries? Or else risk burning out my servo

That is correct, most direct power servos are rated for up to 3s

I hate extra wiring so I prefer direct power. Although I definitely make use the of stout bec in the mamba. And I run 2-300oz-in servos in my 1080 equipped rigs because they aren’t going to see a lot of amp draw anyway

Old 04-18-2022, 02:40 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
That is correct, most direct power servos are rated for up to 3s

I hate extra wiring so I prefer direct power. Although I definitely make use the of stout bec in the mamba. And I run 2-300oz-in servos in my 1080 equipped rigs because they aren’t going to see a lot of amp draw anyway

So... hypothetically speaking of course... if I wanted to go direct power, this combo would be pretty plug and play into my Mamba X?

XT60 with JST tap
Holmes Hobbies SHV500 LP
Old 04-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
So... hypothetically speaking of course... if I wanted to go direct power, this combo would be pretty plug and play into my Mamba X?

XT60 with JST tap
Holmes Hobbies SHV500 LP

Absolutely. IMO that servo is a good choice for your application, pretty high torque plus light weight

Old 04-18-2022, 04:01 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Absolutely. IMO that servo is a good choice for your application, pretty high torque plus light weight

My only reservation is that it’s low profile and I’m not sure how that will play with the Gspeed lay down servo mount. Wondering if the servo arm will have enough clearance.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:15 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:

XT60 with JST tap
Holmes Hobbies SHV500 LP
I ran that servo on 4s in my hilow. Love it. Then NSDRC came out with the RS700 low profile, which is stronger and cheaper... making it my new go-to direct power servo. I'd be running one in the truck I referred to with the RS1, but it's on 6s, and those servos are only rated for 4s.

Tags
amp, bec, mamba x, servo

MambaX BEC and High Volt Servo Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BEC and High Output Steering servo??? AsILayDying Newbie General 17 08-24-2011 07:07 AM
jr high volt woes SDS Customz Electronics 0 07-26-2009 08:06 PM