Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Unsolder and change configuration Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Unsolder and change configuration Question

I just found two 7 cell packs that I got with an E-maxx I bought several years ago.

They are 2400mah Sanyo cells...NiCds I assume since they are older.

My question, will it hurt to unsloder them and group them differently?

They are set up as 6 cells side by side and the 7th is off to the side.

I want to do sort of a pyramid pack to mount on the front servo.

ANY SAFETY ISSUES I SHOULD BE AWARE OF? I've never done any battery soldering work.
mascman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
I'm a stupid C U N T!

you want to have some sort of battery holder so the cells will stay while youre sloldering them, you want to tin the cells before you install the bars, then, when you go to finish the soldering you want to watch out for over heating your cells
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d
you want to have some sort of battery holder so the cells will stay while youre sloldering them, you want to tin the cells before you install the bars, then, when you go to finish the soldering you want to watch out for over heating your cells
How about Duct Tape to hold them?

By tinning you mean a little bit of solder on them, right. I was thinking that when I unsolder they will already be tinned but I can add more.

Also, I should only have to solder a couple of the cells. Basically split in half and solder in the pyramid formation.

Is it necessary to put an ice pack or something around the cell or should I just be quick about the soldering to avoid too much heat?

THANKS!
Old 03-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I just found two 7 cell packs that I got with an E-maxx I bought several years ago.
How about buying new ones? I really dont think they are good, if they are more than 2-3 years old.. Depends on how the car has been driven.. A stickpack in a 1:10 prof onroad car doesn't last more than about 1 - 1½ years..
Deora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deora
How about buying new ones? I really dont think they are good, if they are more than 2-3 years old.. Depends on how the car has been driven.. A stickpack in a 1:10 prof onroad car doesn't last more than about 1 - 1½ years..
I know that I only ran them once.

I'm charging one now just to see what it will take.

It also looks like it will be hard to fit them on the servo since they are C size unless i totally rip the pack apart and even then it will be tight.

I tried an 8.4v pack and was really thrilled with the extra power over the 7.2v so when I found these I thought I had hit the jackpot.

We'll see, if it don't work no loss!
Old 03-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nicads will last like forever(not literally) on the shelf if they're drained before each charge. The newer Nimh's will lose charge and just life after a year or 2 on the shelf.... not Nicad's
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man
Nicads will last like forever(not literally) on the shelf if they're drained before each charge. The newer Nimh's will lose charge and just life after a year or 2 on the shelf.... not Nicad's
That is what I thought. i have some very old NiCds that still charge up.

I have a 3000mah NiMh that I bought from you about 2 years ago. I used it the first year and it sat all last year.

Now it won't charge for more than a minute and a half...and only runs for less than 15 minutes.

Some said to trickle charge overnight, but either my Pirahna Digital peak charger won't trickle charge or I don't know how to set it up.

Can I use my old charger that is NiCd only to try and trickle charge my NiMh?

Hate to think this battery is shot with such little use!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I dont abou piranha but my M Peak you just dont press the start button and it will trickle at .25 amps
lohocla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The Pirahna automatically goes into trickle charge after a peak charge if you don't touch anything after the peak finishes... unless you changed the settings...

I think you also set one of the user programs to do a trickle charge...
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Trickle charge is just a super low amp charge... I have a Piranha, too, and will be charging some new packs I got the other day... A pair of Intellect 3600's and an SMC 1400MaH RX pack... I'm gonna charge 'em up at 1/10C.. In other words, 1/10th the capacity of the pack until it's charged... That's equivalent to trickle charge.. Just set your charger output rate to 1/10 of the pack... 3000 = charge at 300MaH or 0.3A... It'll take a few hours, but, it'll get the job done... Try that...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViolentOne
Trickle charge is just a super low amp charge... I have a Piranha, too, and will be charging some new packs I got the other day... A pair of Intellect 3600's and an SMC 1400MaH RX pack... I'm gonna charge 'em up at 1/10C.. In other words, 1/10th the capacity of the pack until it's charged... That's equivalent to trickle charge.. Just set your charger output rate to 1/10 of the pack... 3000 = charge at 300MaH or 0.3A... It'll take a few hours, but, it'll get the job done... Try that...
Could you walk me through step by step?

I can only set it for 200MaH, but even at that, I cannot seem to get it to trickle charge!

After it "peaks" and it is supposed to trickle, it seems like it just stops.

I followed the instructions but something just seems wrong.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Sounds like the trickle has been turned off... If I recall, that's in the user set-up to turn that on and off... It's been a while since I set-up the chager, so, I'm not exactly sure how and where to turn trickle on and off... I do have to reprogram for the new packs I got, so, I may find it there...

I found the manual online if you want to read it and get it friect from the horses mouth, so to speak...

http://manuals.hobbico.com/dtx/dtxp4005-manual.pdf

That'll explain how to turn on the trickle and so on... This particular charger goes into trickle mode as soon as it's done the peak cycle by default... Sounds like it's been turned off... Check that manual out... I lost my paper one and I'm gonna save the PDF in the link... But the trickle is settable for 0, 100 and 200MaH... Try the 100 setting... That's default as I didn't play with the trickle on mine at all...
Old 03-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the help.

I did download that a couple years ago when I got the charger used.

I'm trying it on the Auto setting to see if maybe that helps.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

That might be a good idea... I did the first charge on one of my 3600's, finally peaked about 3am, and I shoulda used Auto for the battry capacity as it stopped at 3600... Now I know it'll take more... So when I do the other one, I'll leave that one on auto and see what it does when that one finishes and use that for the pack settings...