Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX5C scroll wheel fail jumping menu choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2024, 09:08 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default DX5C scroll wheel fail jumping menu choices

I have two old DX5C tx, both have developed problems with the scroll wheel.

Menu choices are now impossible to make, the choice jumps around when the scroll wheel is turned.
Model selection is very difficult, model naming is impossible.
Worse, steering settings, and other settings change to crazy numbers.

Driving and things like diff lock and unlock and lo range high range work well, if you don't change settings.

Any ideas on how to fix this? These radios control 6 different vehicles, most channels used are 5 on a TRX-4. Changing radio brands would require 6 receivers, but it might have to be done. Two transmitters are needed so two vehicles can be driven at the same time. Use is mostly crawling and woods driving, not fast stuff.

RC sailboat guys have switched from Spektrum to Flysky to get away from random hits while racing, so I'm sort of familiar with Flysky.

Anybody know if Flysky 5 or 6 channel surface tx can work with both AFHDS and AFHDS 2A? My FSi6 stick radio can and this is very useful.

Thanks
MikeSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2024, 07:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: DX5C scroll wheel fail jumping menu choices

I have a similar issue with my DX5R scroll wheel. I can get to what I want (switching models) if I'm patient but adding and setting up a new model is just not happening.

I cant find it now but I thought one of their updates fixed this issue. You do need to create a Spektrum account to download the update. First make sure to backup your models (the Export All option within the system setup menu towards the bottom). The bummer part is you will have to rebind everything again but you can reload your models and all of their settings will be saved. I needed a micro SD card to transfer the files back and forth on the TX. Its worth checking yours, it could be a regular SD card but probably not.

I haven't actually done the update yet as I have a dozen models to rebind, so I cant confirm this fixes it for sure.

EDIT: I found the update description saying it improves the scroll wheel
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:47 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Asked for help on Southwest Texas RC Crawlers. A member suggested blow it out with air, spray with electrical cleaner.

I did this and now the scroll wheels work as they should. Air was used first, then CDC QD Electrical Cleaner from Wal-Mart was used with the small tube and sprayed in and the wheel rotated in both directions. After a while the selection process became reliable again.
MikeSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:27 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSSS View Post
Asked for help on Southwest Texas RC Crawlers. A member suggested blow it out with air, spray with electrical cleaner.

I did this and now the scroll wheels work as they should. Air was used first, then CDC QD Electrical Cleaner from Wal-Mart was used with the small tube and sprayed in and the wheel rotated in both directions. After a while the selection process became reliable again.

Yup, always try a contact cleaner first. About 80% of the time, this will do the trick. If not, you're gonna be in for a not so fun experience of either replacing the radio (and since they're used, might have the same issue), or tearing the radio down to replace the part. Now there is a bright side to that, it's not likely to be some expensive hard to source rotary encoder. It'll likely be a fairly inexpensive and easy to locate part, but quite a bit of labor to replace.

You may also reach out to Spektrum and see if they'll repair it as well. Which might be costly.
diezel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 10:25 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSSS View Post

Thats a great idea, thanks

I'd much rather try that than trying to update the thing.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I finanlly ended up spraying some electrical cleaner into the wheel area and its now fixed for me, thanks again for the tip.

Side note dont shake the radio to get the cleaner to dissipate it does not like plastics (at least the one I used doesn't). The plastic surface got melted in a few areas and some got between the screen and its cover and its now brighter in that area. Nothing too major just cosmetic.

If I have to do this again I'll probably try compressed air first.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:42 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Yup, gotta be careful with contact cleaner. I work on antique radio gear for a hobby as well. Some of the plastics are absolutely unobtanium these days.

I've relied on Sprayon EL2020 and CRC QD 05101 to not harm plastics. For all metal contacts where plastics are of no concern, DeOxit Gold works awesome.
diezel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 11:11 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I sent my dx3r for scroll wheel potentiometer replacement 1.5 years ago to Horizon/spektrum and it costed like $12 and 1 week of down time.
crawlinisfun is offline   Reply With Quote

DX5C scroll wheel fail jumping menu choices - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS-GT3C - can't scroll through menu? dogsofwar Electronics 1 05-04-2019 06:39 PM
Spectrum DX6i scroll wheel replacement BigSki Chit Chat 4 02-13-2017 07:09 PM
Broken dx3c scroll wheel monturacer3 Electronics 10 03-28-2014 12:14 PM
Scroll wheel for a DX3C BigSid00 Electronics 1 03-24-2013 06:06 PM
DX3R Scroll Wheel issues! :( MRCCRAWLER1.9 Electronics 2 08-07-2011 06:38 AM