Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Stoopid Me Can't Decide on a Radio System

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2024, 03:15 PM   #1

Default Stoopid Me Can't Decide on a Radio System

How's everybody doing?

As the title states, I'm looking to get myself a new Tx/Rx system to replace the factory Turbo Racing stuff that came with my RTR. All I have is the mentioned Turbo Tx for my Hobby-Plus kit-bash 1:18 rig. I don't need a bunch of bells and whistles, or more than 3-4 channels (for now, but it doesn't hurt to future proof), as I won't be doing much besides trail stuph, and I don't run rear-wheel-steer (not a fan). Maybe a drift car later on.

I've decided to go with FlySky due to their cost/quality ratio, and the fact that their quality must be better than my current Tx. But am also open to other suggestions as well.

I am aware that there is better still equipment out there than FlySky, but I don't have Futaba money. Or even Spectrum money. Thusly my brand decision.

Where I'm undecided is which specific system to get. I know with all the FlySky discussions had before, I'm basically deading a beat horse, but I ask here in order to get current opinions on the landscape these days.

Should I get the 3-channel GT3C, with its LiPo compatibility and hackability/expandability? Should I look to the GT5 for its simplicity at its feature level? What about the newer G7P, which seems to be more like an up-to-date GT5? Again, I'm open to other suggestions besides FlySky.

I'm just looking to gauge some opinions, and to see how many people are going to tell me to search. And did I mention I'm open to other suggestions?
Zenith the Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2024, 07:55 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Stoopid Me Can't Decide on a Radio System

I'm going to come out of left field with the Radiolink RC6GS V3. 80ish bucks directly from Radiolink on Amazon.
I have the v2 and the GT5 and other that overall feel of holding the radio, the Radiolink RC6GS is a better usable radio imo.
It's a bit of a bulky radio but not uncomfortable.
But as far as features and ease of use, I think its much better than the Flysky.
The v3 is 7 channels full mixing, a variable knob (rear steer) 2 3 way toggles) plus other 2 say or programmable buttons which can all be mixed or used independently.
Extra Rxs are between 15 and 24ish doll hairs.
The only Other thing is you'll need a paddle type thumb wheel to one hand drive unless you got LONG Thumbs. lol

The flysky feels better in my hand and its not had any issues, I just find the Radiolink better for overall ability.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:11 PM   #3
Go Buckeyes!

I'll second the RadioLink systems. I have a few Flysky GT5's and they have been great, but last year I bought my first RadioLink RC4GS and now it is my goto. I currently own 3 and love them. They cost aroung $60 bucks and the R6FG receivers are around $17 I believe.

I have not yet tried the RC6GS as @Timmahh suggested, but I have heard they are great radios too.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm on the Radiolink band. I'm a few years into the hobby and my first was the RC6GS so I never got to experience the other radios mentioned. Although bulky like Tim said, I didn't mind the retro vibes and I liked the toggle switches it has for 3 position things. I could also recommend this radio as I think it is pretty good value still today, or just Radiolink in general.

I would still be using that Tx today if I didn't exceed the 10 model memory it has (now using RC8X).
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:08 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I like the gt3c though the wheel is a bit far away for single hand driving. I am curious on Radiolink t8s.

Last edited by hnoroian; 03-27-2024 at 10:22 PM.
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:48 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The gtc3 is still a valid option even as outdated it is....I personally would go radiolink rc6gs as they are on offer right now and receivers are fairly cheap.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:04 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Radiolink rc6 and rc8. I have been very happy with both. I did slip and fall once with the rc6 and yes the 6 went flying. A year later I was in the same area and the wheel came off in my hand. No worries easy fix. rx's are $33 for a 2 pack on amazon. I get 2-4 packs usually when I order.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:04 AM   #8

I don't know what I'd choose these days, but it would NOT be RadioLink. They are still using a fragile, external antenna. That's laughable and should not be something on a modern radio.

My current most used Radio is a FlySky GT5. It's not bad and receivers are cheap.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:13 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

personally I like all the radios mentioned but I would say the gt5 is easyer to use and feels better in the hand the radio link rc4 seems crisper to the car if that makes sense but the feel of the actual radio feels odd mine had screen issues the inner and outer screens touch everyonce in a while and make funny spots on the screen not a big deal but annoying and all the badging and stickers warped and fell off
it really doesn't like the heat the gt3c and the gt5 were sitting next to it and had no issues
the radio link has the best range 1200ft if you use the double antenna receiver or 600ft with the stock reciver
if your really on a budget the dumborc is a cheaper version of the radio link running older radiolink software I did have a problem with 1 esc that didn't play nice for what ever reason but only 1 even others same model and brand name worked fine
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:46 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith the Zero View Post
How's everybody doing?

Should I get the 3-channel GT3C, with its LiPo compatibility and hackability/expandability? Should I look to the GT5 for its simplicity at its feature level? What about the newer G7P, which seems to be more like an up-to-date GT5? Again, I'm open to other suggestions besides FlySky.

I'm just looking to gauge some opinions, and to see how many people are going to tell me to search. And did I mention I'm open to other suggestions?
I have a G7P that I would sell if interested PM me.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:01 AM   #11
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't know what I'd choose these days, but it would NOT be RadioLink. They are still using a fragile, external antenna. That's laughable and should not be something on a modern radio.

My current most used Radio is a FlySky GT5. It's not bad and receivers are cheap.

I agree, the antenna is dumb. Hell for what I use the radio for it doesn’t even need to be there!

The GT5 receivers are cheap and do work great. I have no complaints about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:05 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for all the useful suggestions. I hadn't considered Radiolink, and now they're on my radar too.

I came across this Dimension GT3X for $35 from Nitrorcx, which seems to be a rebranded GT3C. A quick google search brings up losikid's confirmation that it's still FlySky hardware inside. For that money, it can't be beat, can it? I've never ordered, or heard of, Nitrorcx.com before, are they legit? If they are, I might just go this way.

Gramps, I'm considering your offer as well.
Zenith the Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith the Zero View Post
Thanks everyone for all the useful suggestions. I hadn't considered Radiolink, and now they're on my radar too.

I came across this Dimension GT3X for $35 from Nitrorcx, which seems to be a rebranded GT3C. A quick google search brings up losikid's confirmation that it's still FlySky hardware inside. For that money, it can't be beat, can it? I've never ordered, or heard of, Nitrorcx.com before, are they legit? If they are, I might just go this way.

Gramps, I'm considering your offer as well.
NitroRCX is legit, but I would not recommend that radio. I had the early FlySky radios. Others love them.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:32 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Arrow Re: Stoopid Me Can't Decide on a Radio System

A good budget option is the Hotrc ct8a...also sold by Rlaarlo 30 bucks,8channels and nice features.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead horse, flysky, gt3c, gt5, radio

Stoopid Me Can't Decide on a Radio System - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stoopid noob question? CHADIUS Newbie General 7 01-23-2010 08:58 AM
Stoopid ghosts... (glitch) Locked Up Electronics 22 10-03-2008 12:43 PM
which radio system is better Wicked_Jester Electronics 2 05-23-2007 07:09 PM
God stoopid ebay people TLTCrawlin Chit Chat 5 09-21-2005 07:27 PM