Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: might need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #1

Question might need some help

ok here is the deal, i have a clod that i just got in a trade, it has a evx esc in it with dean plugs. Here is where it gets tricky i went to the hobby shop today to get myself and charger and a battery, and some dean plugs.
after coming home and switching everything over to deans somthing does not work. i thought i charged up teh battery but the car does not turn on or anything. the battery is a vemon 3000 and the charger is a duratrax mini plus charger. if anyone has any experience with this let me know, im really stumped :-( :-(

this is not my first rc car and i know some about electrics but not a whole bunch.
paperclipracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

so what might you need some help on?
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #3

i want to know why its not working the guy i got the evx from said it was working. so im not sure it might be the charger im not sure
Old 04-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

well if you just got the charger, it probably isnt. verify that the pack has a charge. check all your polarities. does anything power up, ie, led on esc or servo moving? just go through and do some basic trouble shooting mr i know some about electrics but not a whole bunch.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #5

well the thing is i did, nothing is moving, the led is not on and the servo is not going anywhere. there is a red led that lights up on the charger, so it might be the battery or the deans im not sure ... are you making fun of me ?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclipracer View Post
are you making fun of me ?
just a little.

make sure you got good solder joints on the deans. do you have a multimeter? if so check charger output, or rig somthing crude up with a 12v auto bulb
Old 04-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #7

i think i got good solder joints that might be it hmm i use to have a multimeter ive ruled everything else out
Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

if you or a buddy have other compnenets, esc, reciever, battery, try swapping stuff.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #9

i re solderd the deans and still nothing works i will try what you said but im at a loss and its a shame becasue i just bought this stuff today sigh
Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster View Post
just a little.

make sure you got good solder joints on the deans. do you have a multimeter? if so check charger output, or rig somthing crude up with a 12v auto bulb

*lmao*

Did you try putting you voltmeter to the power wires on the batt? and did you try plugging your batt into the charger, but not all the way, then touching the voltmeter to the deans to check the charger?
Nlee111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Start from the beginning - battery. Make sure it has a charge. If you have a cheap charger w/ no display, you'll need a meter. Or just try another known good battery.
If your battery is good, the next component in line would be the esc, right? If you apply the correct voltage to it and get no reaction, you probably got a bad esc in your trade.
It helps to have spare parts to try, or a friend's parts. Swapping in known working parts will eliminate some of the confusing technical details (I tend to differentiate between "part swappers" and actual "troubleshooters", but if you don't know exactly what you're looking at voltage-wise, part swapping will eventually eliminate your issue)
An esc is a part that I personally prefer to buy NIB. Any electronics actually, I've learned my lesson on Ebay.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I noticed that you said you have a evx, and you bought a new battery. An evx takes two batteries, so if you only have one batt. hooked up that could be your problem.

New batteries also have a tendency to false peak sometimes, the first time you charge them. I used to have a charger like yours, and sometime it would false peak as well.

You could try and repeak your batteries. It won't hurt them, just stay close and check the temp with you hand. The battery should get warm (100 degs or so). If a battery is done charging and its cold, it did not get charged.

Let us know if any of this helps. '

Later,Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:23 PM   #13

hello all update, i tried everything you guys said and well it now works yay. there is a mod you can do you run a evx off one battery thats wha i did. i just had to switch the connections on the deans plugs and everything started to work... ONE problem though. i know this might sound newbe but i have a hitec aggressor cvx radio its a great radio, and no problems with it untill now, i charged up the battery pluged it into the esc . pluged everything into the reciever and turned on the radio then the esc everything comes on, but nothing no movement im lost i never had this problem before ugh i know its a new problem but any help would be welcomed
Old 04-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #14

still no luck
Old 04-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

does throttle work, can you move the truck forward or backward? what radio are you using? maybe the rx is no good.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #16

nothing is coming from the throttle im useing a hitec Crx i think the rx is no good. hmm