Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: re-oiling motor and plastic dip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default re-oiling motor and plastic dip

My rig's gonna see some H2O every now and then so i want it to be prepared. I have plans to use a sealed container from RS for the esc and speed control. The motors are 55t lathes and i was wondering what oil to use when cleaning and re-oiling them? I got some hits when searching but most threads only say "re-oil the motors" but not which type of oil.

I've been reading about this "plastic dip" which is supposed to be a sealant for electronics. I read in a thread about one who dipped his esc into this stuff and that had me wondering. If the heat sinks on the esc are dipped in this stuff, will they still fend off heat just the same?

I have sealant plans for the servo and will use a small o-ring and some grease for the servo output shaft. That should do it. Everything else will have it's own plastic cell box.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2007, 07:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If the heat sinks on the esc are dipped in this stuff, will they still fend off heat just the same?
Nope - they are designed to transfer heat from a high temp part to a lower ambient air temp.
If you coat them w/ anything like Plasti-Dip, you'll be essentially insulating them, and they won't transfer the heat.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

After running the motor in the water, you should remove it from the car and clean it with motor cleaner from the hobby store, or an electrical parts cleaner from the auto parts. Disassembling the motor is best, but you can get away with pulling the brushes out and spraying in through the endbell. After letting all the cleaner evaporate, use a light oil and put a drop or two in each bearing. Any light oil will work, but I like the motor oilers made by Trinity, which make it easy to get the oil right where you want it.
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Just wanted i needed to hear. Thanks guys.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
I have plans to use a sealed container from RS for the esc and speed control. everything else will have it's own plastic cell box.
Does anyone have a photo of this??

Got me thinking......
hkusp45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkusp45 View Post
Does anyone have a photo of this??

Got me thinking......

Something similar to that. Radio shack has all sort of sizes for batteries and stuff. You just have to seal it up with some sealant and you are good to go. I used this on my nylint rockcrawler to seal some of the electrical components.