Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I might have found a mini Li-po that works

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up I might have found a mini Li-po that works

Its called a lithium prismatic cell the bad is that its only 1400 mah but so far im getting between 20 and 25 minutes of run time the charger that the site recomends takes 2 hours to charge but i figured WTF at only 11 bucks to build one pack y not throw it on my duratrax peak charger and see what happens well twenty minutes later the light started blinking to let me know that it was done and then i put it on the li-po charger to make sure it was done and sure enough it was! it had a little more punch on the higher charge rate but barely any noticable difference in run time. be warned if you run this WOT even with lathe motors you only get about 7 minutes of run time. but its super tiny so why not buy a dozen packs or so? i took the overcharge curcuit off to make it smaller since im using a peak charger. And its pretty close to the same size as the rx im using! with out the over charge curcuit
heres the link to the battery
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...-45&type=store

the only bad part is you have to take of the battery bars that come on it and just use a small peice of wire to connect one positive and one negetive side together and then just solder wires directly to the other end with a plug on it

O yeah please Note: I only have 3 runs through this right now and there have been reported problems with these little li-pos after 10-15 runs so if your not willing to drop 11 bucks down the drain then wait untill i get a few more runs in to see how it turns out
Brad
team-nyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

are those the ones that have a tendency to explode when charging? or is that something else?
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Exclamation

yeh li-po's tend to explode while charging and if u take a nasty crash with them in yur truck they get damaged and explode then too. i only run them in my airplanes cause all airplanes can take is 1 crash then there done for. ive thought abought runing li-po's in my txt but havent got the guts to try it out yet.
hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

yeah i heard they have the tendency to explode to but i was also told that they have a soft casing but these seem to be as hard as a normal sub C cell so far these havent even gotten warm yet now after 7 runs they are still just as good as new im just getting ready to put another run through them now
only time will tell how well these things really work keep an eye on this thread
Old 03-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J
are those the ones that have a tendency to explode when charging? or is that something else?
If you're smart with them you're fine. Don't overcharge, don't pull too many amps, don't run them too low. They're high maitinence. I love my NiCds for the fact that I can charge them at 6 amps and beat the crap out of em
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

yeah think ill just stick with my NIMH's and bash the hell out of um
hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Do you know nothing of how dangerous LiPo's are you tool!!!

You put a lipo on a DURATRAX nicad/nimh charger??? I hope you burn your house down. It really is people like you that cause technology to DIGRESS due to drawn out lawsuits and court costs for companies. LiPo's are AMAZING batteries, but you have to learn to take care of them. They also should have a voltage warning system installed to prevent them from going under the manufacturers min values.

Sorry if I come off strong or rude...but your ignorance is just laughable.

Watch the video before I read about your untimely accident in the news
www.helihobby.com/videos/LithiumBattery.wmv

And read the warnings please...no need to see someone else get hurt...

* Only use chargers designed specifically for Lithium Polymer battery.
* Double check the charger, number of cell selection setting, and mAh
* before every charge. Only charge the batteries on a non-flammable non-conducting surface, such as bare cement floor.
* Do not charge the battery inside the model plane, inside of ones car, home furniture or wood floor/carpet, or anywhere near flammable material.
* Monitor the charging of the battery pack at all times. Do not leave the battery unattended.
* Place a fire alarm above the Li-Poly battery charging location. Follow the fire alarm installation instructions.
* After a crash, inspect the battery pack for damage. Discard the pack outdoors if there is any sign of damage.
* Store the pack fully charged in a cool and dry location and out of reach of children.
* Do not assemble packs in series into parallel packs, as mismatch could result in fire.
* Do not carry or leave Lithium Polymer/Ion with model fuels such as Petrol/Gas or Methanol
* Do not store Lithium Polymer battery inside a car.
* Do not short the battery as it may catch on fire. If you accidentally short a battery, place it in open space and observe the battery for 10 minutes. It may swell up and possibly even catch on fire.
* Do not discharge Lithium Polymer battery below voltage according to the number of cells in series in the following chart.

Before charging, your Lithium Polymer should have this minimum voltage. Check battery pack voltage before charging S = Series, P = Parallel

Minimum voltage
1 Cell 1SXP = 3.0V
2 Cells in series 2SXP = 6.0V
3 Cells in series 3SXP = 9.0V
4 Cells in series 4SXP = 12.0V

Check your charger for safety. After charging, check battery with a digital voltmeter, voltage should read between Min and Max: Full charged pack should voltage between these numbers:
Minimum full charge to Maximum full charge
1 Cell = 4.16V to 4.23V
2 Cells in series = 8.32V to 8.45V
3 Cells in series = 12.48V to 12.68V
4 Cells in series = 16.64V to 16.9v

Maximum discharge: Do not discharge your Lithium Polymer battery below the voltage listed below, no load and load voltage. Max Discharge Voltage for Li-poly cells and packs

No Load (Motor not running)/Loaded (Motor running)
1 Cell = 3.0V/2.5V
2 Cells in series = 6.0V/5.0V
3 Cells in series = 9.0V/7.5V
4 Cells in series = 12.0V/10.0V
Krod_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Its called a lithium prismatic cell the bad is that its only 1400 mah but so far im getting between 20 and 25 minutes of run time the charger that the site recomends takes 2 hours to charge but i figured WTF at only 11 bucks to build one pack y not throw it on my duratrax peak charger and see what happens well twenty minutes later the light started blinking to let me know that it was done and then i put it on the li-po charger to make sure it was done and sure enough it was!
Wow, that's the longest sentence I have seen since I read "A Tale of Two Cities."

or...

Holy lack of punctuation Batman!

Sorry, but I hate what the Internet has done to the English language. Every now and then I have to vent my frustration.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Hack: Yeah I know, but I didnt have time to do correct punctuation, and capitlization in that post. But usually I try not to type like I'm 12.

Krod_Clod: Yes I realize what could happen. However what I left out of my post was, that I am charging in a fire proof box. And since I have a new charger and thats just my back up, I wanted to see what would happen. But after that one experimentation run, I've gone back to the li-po charger. Do you honestly think I would invest in something like li-pos and not know about them? Then you'r more of a "tool" then I am.

On a lighter note: I have two more runs in for a total of 9, and so far no ill effects. After my charger test (which offended some people) I think we can say that these batterys handle pretty extreme conditions. But as soon as this snow melts I will throw some more runs on and see what happens.
Brad
Old 03-15-2005, 07:49 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

You claim you know about lipos...but you STILL put one on a duratrax charger that is not meant to charge anything but nimh and nicad?? Being able to buy one and being able to safely and properly use one and understand the RIGHT and WRONG way to do something are two totally different things man....

Any rich bastard can buy an airplane too...but knowing how to operate it properly is another story.

Really not trying to start a war, but please think about it the next time you decide to "experiment" with things you obviously know very little about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team-nyke
I wanted to see what would happen.
Famous last words....If you wanted to see what happens when they are mis-used....watch the video in my last post above. But hey...what do I know...its your house man.
Krod_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Not trying to continue the war either but did you miss the part about me charging them in a fire proof box per the li-po manufacturers warning? any way thats all the more I'm gonna argue with you about it

I have 2 more runs on them and they are still holding up great more to come
Old 03-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack
Wow, that's the longest sentence I have seen since I read "A Tale of Two Cities."

Nyke... Nobody wants to start a flame war, we're trying to stop flames! Then again, I am no "Captain Safety" myself!

Can you tell the duratrax how many volts/amps to charge at? If so, I'd just say to be EXTREMELY careful not to overcharge them. Electricity is Electricity ;)
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:55 PM   #13
06 Super National Champ

Oh, we'll know when they crap out...

JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 07:20 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

don't worry you'll be the first to know
Old 03-21-2005, 08:06 PM   #15

the biggest issue is the cell not peaking properly (ignoring the facts about them going boom) i have run several lithium packs up to 4000mAh but not for crawling with NO problems BUT i have always used chargers ESPECIALLY DESIGNED for Lipo packs...ANYWAYS i think if nyke hasn't seen any issues the only issue at this point he MAY encounter will be a shorter life in the pack due to either draining it to low POSSIBLY or MAYBE from an improper peak detect

I am no expert by any means but i HAVE seen them go sizzle sizzle...just my .02
myclod is offline   Reply With Quote