Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor break in and winch servo questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Motor break in and winch servo questions

hey guys,
i have many different ways to break in your motors. to start off with im running a mag mayhem. ive read that to dip it in water, lathe the comms or just put it in the truck tap the throtle 1/8-1/4 throtle. i dont have a lathe so that throws that idea out the window. ive heard to not run the mag mayhems in water due to the bearings. what is the best way for me to do this? if its to run it in water for how long and with what power supply.

now for the winch servo. i have tower pro 945 that i modified. the problem im having is how to the the POD in the servo to stay still. there are three wires running to it, can i just take the two outer ones and soder them together? what can i do to make the servo from spining when i first plug it in?

thanks in advance. i appreciate EVERYTHING!!!
mudrinner4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
Winner of the '07 RCC dumbass award!

If the motor is new its obvously clean. water is not going to hurt your bushings.

Take it in the bathroom, draw some warm water in the tub, and run 7.2v through it under water for atleast 30 seconds. its going to throw some water around, might wanna do it in a pan outside...

Take one of the brush springs off careful not to lose it and pull the brush out and check it. It should be worn evenly and all the way across the face of it. Not just the center of the brush.

Put the brush back in exactly the way it came out so it mates correctly.

If it looked good and uniform, your done!

If not, give it another wirl in the tub. Don't run it for more then 30 seconds under water at a time so you don't waste brush material.

The winch servo, Just turn on your radio, center the trim on that channel, then turn the POT inside so there is no servo movement.

Then CA glue the shaft so it WILL NOT rotate. allow to dry, turn it sideways in the servo and assemble.

You should be able to get away with running two 2.5k Ohm resistors but the tolerance on most resistors is off just enough where one is a little more or less then the other. This will cause the servo to rotate in the direction of more resistance. If you have trim on that servo no big deal, you can just trim that out.

Basicly that Potentiometer in the servo is two variable resistors. The center connection is common.

I would just CA It in place... easy enough and I never had a problem.

Good luck Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrinner4ever View Post
hey guys,
i have many different ways to break in your motors. to start off with im running a mag mayhem. ive read that to dip it in water, lathe the comms or just put it in the truck tap the throtle 1/8-1/4 throtle. i dont have a lathe so that throws that idea out the window. ive heard to not run the mag mayhems in water due to the bearings. what is the best way for me to do this? if its to run it in water for how long and with what power supply.

now for the winch servo. i have tower pro 945 that i modified. the problem im having is how to the the POD in the servo to stay still. there are three wires running to it, can i just take the two outer ones and soder them together? what can i do to make the servo from spining when i first plug it in?

thanks in advance. i appreciate EVERYTHING!!!
WheelChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelChair View Post
If the motor is new its obvously clean. water is not going to hurt your bushings.

Take it in the bathroom, draw some warm water in the tub, and run 7.2v through it under water for atleast 30 seconds. its going to throw some water around, might wanna do it in a pan outside...

Take one of the brush springs off careful not to lose it and pull the brush out and check it. It should be worn evenly and all the way across the face of it. Not just the center of the brush.

Put the brush back in exactly the way it came out so it mates correctly.

If it looked good and uniform, your done!

If not, give it another wirl in the tub. Don't run it for more then 30 seconds under water at a time so you don't waste brush material.

The winch servo, Just turn on your radio, center the trim on that channel, then turn the POT inside so there is no servo movement.

Then CA glue the shaft so it WILL NOT rotate. allow to dry, turn it sideways in the servo and assemble.

You should be able to get away with running two 2.5k Ohm resistors but the tolerance on most resistors is off just enough where one is a little more or less then the other. This will cause the servo to rotate in the direction of more resistance. If you have trim on that servo no big deal, you can just trim that out.

Basicly that Potentiometer in the servo is two variable resistors. The center connection is common.

I would just CA It in place... easy enough and I never had a problem.

Good luck Hope this helps!

WOW!!! THANKS!!! ive already tried glueing it and it just broke. but then again i took a pliers after it so ill center it, glue it and see what happens! THANKS A TON WHEELCHAIR!!!!!!
mudrinner4ever is offline   Reply With Quote