Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 55t/evx/1 or 2 batt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 55t/evx/1 or 2 batt

This is my setup:
Clod drivetrain. Rear axle backwards, running like the front. I have integy 55t motors, traxxas evx, and 3600mah/3700man batteries. I'm wondering if i should use the two seperate motor connectors on the evx, one going to each motor or use one connecting to one motor, and the 2nd motor wired to the first motor?

My plan is to run one motor and i will do the one-batt mod for the evx but wondering how different it would be running dual batteries. Longer or shorter run time or the same?

This is my first major wiring project, other than clipping and re-wiring the nylint, which is nothing. I've been searching for the past 45 minutes but can't seem to find the answer related to my questions. Still lookin though.....

2 integy 55t motors
evx esc
TP 945 servo
tq2
3600mah/3700mah
clod drivetrain, rear axle flipped, motor in rear.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Depends on how fast you wanna go.....If I had an evx I would be running 14.4 volts on my clod, 55t's are made for 12volts. So either way will work. If you don't care about the weight and want to bash then use both batteries, if not then do the single mod. Or just make a shorted deans plug to use one battery, then if you just want 2 its a quick swap.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Depends on how fast you wanna go.....If I had an evx I would be running 14.4 volts on my clod, 55t's are made for 12volts. So either way will work. If you don't care about the weight and want to bash then use both batteries, if not then do the single mod. Or just make a shorted deans plug to use one battery, then if you just want 2 its a quick swap.

This is my trail/basher rig. It needs some speed to get from location to location but also enough power to crawl on the rocks and sling a little mud. I haven't decided on pinions yet cuz i'm still researching which is best to use. I'm thinking 10 tooths maybe...it all depends on how fast it will be.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:36 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Use both motor lead sets on the EVX.. It'll save headaches and make for wiring in a D.U.D style dig quite easy...

As for running double packs... That'd definaly perk up the wheel-speed... One guy in our group runs a 3S LiPo thru his 55's w/8T pinions and the extra voltage gives him wheel-speed comparable to my 7.2V/2x27T also w/8T pinions but with FAR more torque and virtually no sign of Clod stall...

However, another in our group ran dual packs on his XR SD with 2x55T's and fried his rear motor right out... The comm. got all hot, glowed and stuff was dripping off it it got so hot... Wether it was a bad motor is undetermined as the one that fried got too wasted to really tell anything... But boy did it smell... Even from a distance, you could smell the fried bits...

As far as I know, lathe motors really like 12V... Knowing that, I can't see why 2.4V more would cook a motor... >shrug< Mebbe it was just luck of the draw...

Either way, more voltage than 7.2V is a good thing... Just keep in mind, you're probly going to want an RX pack with the EVX or a voltage reg. to spice up the servos as the BEC on the EVX is only 5V/1.5A and nowhere enuff to resonably power even one servo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
...just make a shorted deans plug to use one battery, then if you just want 2 its a quick swap.
x2 on that one... Then you can go with a single pack for conservation or when you need to go slow and still be able to drop in that 2nd pack and go a fair bit faster in the slippery stuff...

Last edited by DaViolentOne; 05-10-2007 at 02:38 AM.
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViolentOne View Post
Use both motor lead sets on the EVX.. It'll save headaches and make for wiring in a D.U.D style dig quite easy...

As for running double packs... That'd definaly perk up the wheel-speed... One guy in our group runs a 3S LiPo thru his 55's w/8T pinions and the extra voltage gives him wheel-speed comparable to my 7.2V/2x27T also w/8T pinions but with FAR more torque and virtually no sign of Clod stall...

However, another in our group ran dual packs on his XR SD with 2x55T's and fried his rear motor right out... The comm. got all hot, glowed and stuff was dripping off it it got so hot... Wether it was a bad motor is undetermined as the one that fried got too wasted to really tell anything... But boy did it smell... Even from a distance, you could smell the fried bits...

As far as I know, lathe motors really like 12V... Knowing that, I can't see why 2.4V more would cook a motor... >shrug< Mebbe it was just luck of the draw...

Either way, more voltage than 7.2V is a good thing... Just keep in mind, you're probly going to want an RX pack with the EVX or a voltage reg. to spice up the servos as the BEC on the EVX is only 5V/1.5A and nowhere enuff to resonably power even one servo...

x2 on that one... Then you can go with a single pack for conservation or when you need to go slow and still be able to drop in that 2nd pack and go a fair bit faster in the slippery stuff...
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna start out just running one battery for now and see how it does with maybe 10t pinions.

I'm getting mixed results on using a rx pack. Some say the evx runs fine without one and others are saying you'll need one. I guess i'll just try it without and see how it does. If i need it, i'll shove one on there.