Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Thinking of going brushless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Thinking of going brushless

After having many problems with my electronics I started looking into a BL set up, and now I have a few questions. I'm very interested in the revolver2/mamba 25 combo from holmes hobbies. The price seems too good to be true. I spent almost that much for my ESC and 45t lathe. What are the cons of this set up? Holmes mentiond somewhere that this combo was not comp worthy. I'm not too concearned about that I won't be enetering any comps soon, but why isn't it worthy? Will it give me the same torque as a 45t lathe motor? Will I need to go lipo?
Spucknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

go brushless you wont regret it... a guy here locally runs a quark/ revolver2 combo and loves it.. personally i like the original revolver motors that you cant get anymore. i also prefer the quark33 ESC. you wont have to go lipo, i run 8 AAs with mine and always have.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I just bought that combo last night. John said with that combo, you're gonna wanna go with 8 to 9 cells get proper power.
fast5xc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

All small motors are low on the total power scale. I don't recommend it for comp use because of the finicky nature of the gearing, voltage, and variance of vehicle weight. Some people use it for comps and love it. Some people want more power and gearing choices plain and simple.

Run high voltage with low gearing and you can get away with it like butter, but the servos will need another power source such as a voltage regulator or RX pack.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm using a R2 tranny. I'm not sure of the ratio, but it seems to be geared quite low. And ever since my first tamaya "Wild One" which i got got about 20 years ago I've always run rx packs. I have a two new 2500 mah stick packs now. I could take them apart and make one 9 cell if you think that would work. I would rather not have to buy new batteries.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #6

The r2 has PLENTY of geardown. If you could put together a pack yourself, it is super cheap to buy loose 2/3A cells and make a pack.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I run 8 AA loose cells that i made into a pack... Total cost including deans plugs was under 25 bucks. And with my brushless system and r2 trans i dont run a reciever pack.

Last edited by dieselfuel; 05-22-2007 at 10:59 AM.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I used to run 8 cells and now run 6 because it is easier. I have had no issues in my comp rig and my scaler.

Stop thinking of going brushless and just do it. Everybody is.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Even I have BL now... In my TLT, I run the Novak Crawler system... A tad on the expensive side, but, it was there and I needed something within a couplea days and online was just too slow for that part for me...

Running some NP 1500 2/3A shotgun packs and I can get quite the runtime out of it... I need to add more drag-brake and raise the gear ratio some... Currently has 13/82 and I'm gonna go to 13/87...

The thing about BL I didn't expect is just how slow you can go anywhere and not stall out the motor... Another thing I didn't expect was the stall points in the sensors, I think, as sometimes it won't go in a low throttle setting 'til I kick it up a bit more and then tend to lanuch off and/or over an obstacle... heh

But as FrankyRizzo there said... Stop thinking and just do it... You won't be disappointed with the performance and runtimes of a BL setup...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Alright, twist my arm. I've made the decission to go BL. Now what should I buy. I like the price of the mamba 25 with the revolver2 combo, but the quark 33 and the crawlmaster seem like a top notch combo for a tlt. Either way it looks like I'm going to have to wait. JRholmes' web site shows "out of stock" on the first combo, and "coming soon" on the second. Any idea how long the wait might be???
Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quark definitely!!!

I have never had an issue with them. Plus you don't need a link to program them.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

What's a Quark33?

link?
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Here you go....

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...2&cat=2&page=1
Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
WOW that sounds like the Best ESC ..?

What about brushless ?
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I did not like the BL thing just my opinion I know people get them to work but I hated it. No smooth throttle control it was off (cogging) or all on at once (broken axles) no in between
draven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #16

What motor, esc, voltage, and gearing were you running Draven?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I really like my BL system and it was purchased from John Robb as well.

I run a Hyperion Z3013 with a 14T on my R2 V2 and the Mamba 25. I found that with the original 8T it was just to super slow for me using 6 cells of the Elite 1500 2/3a. So I went up to the larger 14T and added another Cell and it is much quicker and it still has the torque and can still move really slow if needed.
What I did find however with the R2 is that the V2 hole is still to small for the Robinson Gears from RCP Crawlers to fit a 14T or 16T into it. I had to actually widen out the hole to fit the gear in nice and easy.
Eviltwin_52s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
What motor, esc, voltage, and gearing were you running Draven?

I do not remember the gearing it has been about 3 months ago I had a mamba 25 esc with your rr2 first tried 3 cell 2480 mah lipo at 11.1 volts than tried a 2 cell 1760 mah lipo at 7.2 volts I believe that they are good just not for me but also it could have been the esc that I was using but set up right they are good I guess
Old 05-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I was afraid of what happened to draven, but I have overcame my fears. I bought a mamba max, inlieu of Rizzo's adivce to go with the quark, and pre-ordered one of JRH's crawlmasters. A little more than I wanted to spend, but I think the added programmiong capabilities of the max are critical. I shouldn't have to worry as much now. I'm still not positive, but I think I can program the throttle curve with the max which should solve the problems that Draven had. I'm extremly excited about trying the new "Crawlmaster". I just spent some dough at JRH's website to prepare for arrival of this motor. High voltage wires and connectors ect. Hopefully just a few more days...

Last edited by Spucknit; 05-31-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spucknit View Post
I was afraid of what happened to draven, but I have overcame my fears. I bought a mamba max, inlieu of Rizzo's adivce to go with the quark, and pre-ordered one of JRH's crawlmasters. A little more than I wanted to spend, but I think the added programmiong capabilities of the max are critical. I shouldn't have to worry as much now. I'm still not positive, but I think I can program the throttle curve with the max which should solve the problems that Draven had. I'm extremly excited about trying the new "Crawlmaster". I just spent some dough at JRH's website to prepare for arrival of this motor. High voltage wires and connectors ect. Hopefully just a few more days...

Good luck

pm. me with the out come if you don't mind

I feel the dark side calling me again