Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dead battery?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Dead battery?

I was putting some female deans plugs on my batteries today and the wires on both of them touched during the process and sparked. I decided i would finish putting the deans plug on so i can test it and see if it is really shorted out or not. So i finished it and plugged it in. The led on the esc lights up, but nothing is happening. There is no respone at all. It worked great yesterday when i had the tamiya plugs on both the battery and esc and now it isn't working. I also tried putting deans on my other battery and while i was cutting the tamiya plug off it sparked also. So that battery doesn't work either. Did i just kill both batteries? Thanks.

Oh the battery is a V-Maxx super duty. 2500 mah 7.2 volts.

Ok, i did some troubleshooting. I pluged the battery into the motor, and checked the charge on both batteries and they are fine. I didn't ruin the batteries. I pluged the esc in and left the motor connection out and checked the voltage on that. There is power getting to the motor wire on the esc. I am trying new radio equipment now. I did notice some corrosion on the controller where the AA's go in. But the light on the controller is still on. Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by Norcal crawler; 06-11-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Was it fully charged while you were switching plugs? How many volts is it reading on the charger/volt meter? Try recharging the pack.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

did you cut one wire at a time? i dont think that will kill a battery but its definately not good. do you have them on backwards? blk to red, red to blk? not insulting you or anything but just giving ideas
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijuan View Post
did you cut one wire at a time? i dont think that will kill a battery but its definately not good. do you have them on backwards? blk to red, red to blk? not insulting you or anything but just giving ideas
Black goes to Red??? I thought black goes to black. Problem solved. Ok, well at least i didn't ruin the battery. I'll have to switch them and let you know how it goes then.

I'm running out of heat shrinks.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

NO! black to black!!!!!!!!

i just was wondering if you accidentally mixed it up! i doubt you ruined the battery, you may have just discharged it really fast?
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Red (positive) goes to the fatter side of the Deans plugs. Black goes to the skinny side. Make sure everything is polarized right. It shouldnt ruin a battery just shorting it once and getting a spark.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Ok, red is to the fat side. And i didnt switch them around. I'm going to try switching radio equipment now and see what happens.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
MWRCA'er

As long as your red battery wire goes to your red esc wire and your black battery wire goes to your black esc wire. It doesn't really make a difference how they get there. Just as long as the red goes to red and black goes to black otherwise your esc shorts out.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
RCC Addict

It was the reciever. I plugged a spare one in and now it works. Thanks for all the help though.

Dang, now i have to buy more stuff. I think it is time for an upgrade from the tq3.