Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 55T 370 motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 01:58 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 55T 370 motor

I am working on a project that is smaller than the average 1/10 scale 4x4.
I am utilizing the axles and trans from a VMG mini giant (aka leo-x, etc,etc) and I have a question. would it be worth my time to try to find a 55T 370 motor, are they even feasible? i have looked at the gd600 as a gear reduction and while that is a solid source of tourqe and the obivious choice, space is at a premium while im trying to maintain as much of a "scale" appearance as possible. I have no knowledge of how to hand wind my own motor so my option would be to see if my lhs would do it or find a company on the web.
as always, all input is appreciated.
DOC
docsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

From what I understand, re-winding a motor isn't that difficult, but a smaller 370 might be a pain.

I used a Park 370 brushless in my VMG. PLENTY of torque and no gear reduction. I did keep the slipper gear in there because I'm pretty sure that motor could easily strip out the gears otherwise.

Although there's plenty of torque, it has a little too much initial wheelspeed, so I had to spend some extra time tweaking the Mamba ESC and dialing out alot of exponential on the radio.

I think the best combo would be the Park 370, a Quark 33A ProCar ESC and then dialing out the expo on the radio. The Quark speedo is MUCH smoother than the Mamba, so that, combined with very little exponential dialed in results in good low-speed throttle control.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm building a similar rig with VMG axles, but I was thinking of using a gear reduction of some sort. I haven't really looked for one yet, but there's got to be one that will fit that size motor. It would give you less wheel speed and more torque!
shutupanddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
~THE SCALE SHOP~

what about the gear reductions that the airplanes use? hell there specifically made for 370's
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
what about the gear reductions that the airplanes use? hell there specifically made for 370's
Exactly, thats what I want to use. I'm sure there's one on Tower's website that would fit the bill.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Actually, there is a GWS gearbox and a HiMax gearbox that work well. Can't find a specific link though...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:31 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have found a motor I am going to try. It is a GPM 27 turn motor for the mini-T. It is supposed to have a lot more torque than the regular 370s. I have also been toying with the Idea of using a mini-T trans with a 61t main gear and 13t pinion.the mini T trans is obviously more compact than the VMG trans and hopefully the gear set up will increase the torque.
opinions welcome.
docsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Anyone know about the mounting patterns for these smaller motors? I see gear reductions for 300/350 and 400 sized motors, but nothing specifically for the 370. Are any of them the same?