Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: motor and battery current

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default motor and battery current

Hey all,

Me and a friend are in a little quibble as to how much current our little rc motors and batteries are putting out. I say they can hit as much as 30 amps, possibly more. He says it isn't possible for them to deliver/draw 30 amps, no more than 10 amps maybe.

He also mean Amp hours when we say amp, and aren't talking about real electronic world amps.

Now, I don't really want to spend the $60 to get a watt-meter to install in my brushless rc18t and in my clod crawler to get watt, amp, volts and such numbers. That is a lot of cash that I could use toward parts, but if I have to in order to settle this I will.

So, what I am wondering is if any of you guys know or can get/give or direct us to a reliable source of this information.

Thanx,

rash
rash_powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 11:35 PM   #2
Keep it real

1 word(actually 3), Johnrobholmes
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

What do you mean when he says amps, he means amp-hours, not real world amps? The terms amps and amp-hours are both very real world and have very different meanings. The two terms are not interchangeable so if you mean amps, say amps and if you mean amp-hours, say amp-hours.

If he is saying the battery we use cannot deliver no more than 10 amp hours, he is right (have you ever seen a 30 amp hour battery in RC?). I think the largest one I've seen for these crawlers is a 4 amp hour lipo pack. If he is saying they cannot deliver 30 amps, he is wrong. Amp-hour is a measure of energy (Joules, which a wattmeter can't measure), and amps (combined with voltage) is a measure of power (Watts, which a wattmeter can measure).

It would seem that he is arguing about energy and you are arguing about power. Both of you have the right meaning, but someone has their terminology mixed up.

A battery that can deliver 1A for 1 hour (1 amp hour) is able to output 10A, it just won't be able to keep it up for anywhere near an hour.

Last edited by DKNguyen; 08-08-2007 at 11:32 AM.
DKNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Motors can pull 30 amps, batteries can deliver 30 amps. 30 amp hour batteries are not possible yet for small scale RC, but many motors can easily pull 30amps/hour.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote