Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak Releases "The Goat" brushed/brushless esc and sintered brushless motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Novak Releases "The Goat" brushed/brushless esc and sintered brushless motor

Check out Novak's new esc and motor! RCP Crawlers will have these in stock the minute they become available.

Since Novak’s original press release for the #3019 Crawler Sintered Brushless System, Novak has raised the standards once again by incorporating several exciting features to the speed control that is now affectionately called “The Goat.” New features include Full Programmability, Compatibility with Brushed Motors, a Servo/Robotic Mode, an Expo Crawler Mode to accommodate entry-level transmitters, smoother application of Drag Brakes, and built-in Brushless Motor Rotation Software. The Goat ESC will also be available as an individual purchase item. The updated ship date is Early September 2007. Follows is the updated press release.

GET TO THE TOP WITH THE GOAT
Irvine, CA – August 8, 2007 – As the R/C crawling segment gains popularity, the need for crawler-specific equipment has become greater. Novak is happy to fill the need with the new Goat Crawler Brushless System (#3019), Goat Crawler Brushless/Brush ESC (#3219), and Crawler Sintered Brushless Motor (#3419). Novak has always felt that brushless technology is an ideal fit for crawling applications due to their instant throttle response, super low-speed drivability, and explosive torque — the very features crawling enthusiasts look for.
As any crawler aficionado can tell you, crawler vehicles require precise movement control at very low speeds. That being said, it makes sense to use equipment specifically designed for this purpose. Enter Novak Electronics. One of the few, if not the only R/C manufacturer, who offer electronic products specifically designed for crawlers. The new sensor-based Crawler Brushless Motor and System are equipped with features that enable crawlers to climb over, maneuver through, and conquer the most challenging terrain.

The following four driving profiles make the Goat a versatile speed control:

Ø Standard Crawler — maintains crawler motor response in both forward and reverse and features high-powered drag brakes.
Ø Expo Crawler — features the standard crawler profile but uses a built-in exponential curve for smoother response to accommodate entry-level transmitters.
Ø Servo/Robotic Mode — features precise and symmetric motor control in forward and reverse for robot applications, but without the drag brake.
Ø Brushed Mode — is automatically selected when used with a brushed motor. For use with brushed motors down to 27-turns.

And if multiple profiles weren’t enough, Novak’s software experts have designed the Goat ESC with a Fully-Programmable Interface using Novak’s easy One-Touch button and four LEDs. The following parameters can be adjusted in all four driving profiles: Dead Band, Minimum Drive, and Hill/Drag Brakes (except Servo/Robotic Mode). The Drive Frequency can also be adjusted in the Brushed Mode. For further flexibility, the Li-Po Cutoff Circuitry can be activated in all of the throttle profiles, and Motor Rotation Direction can be activated in any of the three brushless profiles.

The Goat ESC has also been outfitted with a rugged 6 volt / 5 amp BEC to provide powerful and precise steering while embarking on unsteady landscape, with no additional BEC to purchase or install. It also employs an exclusive active drag brake that uses battery power to slow the vehicle to a wheel-locking stop, reducing the vehicle’s tendency to slide or roll while traveling on steep grades.

Additional features of the Goat ESC include Zero Reverse Delay for instant power delivery in both forward and reverse when needed; adjustable Active Hill/Drag Brakes that use battery power to slow the vehicle to a wheel-locking stop; and a Built-In 6-Volt Power Output for an optional cooling fan or detail items like lighting features or a winch.

The other half of the brushless system is Novak’s new Crawler Sintered Brushless Motor, which is an 18.5-turn motor. This specially-designed brushless motor scales over other brushed motors because of its massive start up and low-speed torque, all without sacrificing speed. This eliminates the need to use 3-cell Li-Po packs like other out-runner motors, which adds unnecessary weight to the rig. Novak’s lightweight brushless system can tackle the most challenging terrain on 2-cell Li-Po packs.

Additional features of the Crawler Sintered Brushless Motor include sensor-based commutation for precise rotor position control; a high-performance sintered rotor for stronger motor braking power and improved performance in higher temperature conditions; an oversized front bearing for extra durability and extended life; ribbed aluminum end bells to reduce weight; and a solder tab system for flexible soldering options.

The Novak Goat Crawler Brushless System (#3019, Retail $339) includes everything that is needed for crawling straight out of the box. The Crawler Sintered Brushless Motor is factory-installed to the Goat ESC making installation a breeze. Both the Goat Crawler Brushless/Brush ESC (#3219, Retail $219) and Crawler Sintered Brushless Motor (#3419, Retail $139) are also available separately. All three new items are scheduled for shipping Early September 2007.

GOAT CRAWLER BRUSHLESS/BRUSH ESC FEATURES
Ø Four user-selectable brushless throttle profiles that feature Zero Reverse Delay and full programmability (except Servo/Robotic Mode):
o Standard Crawler: maintains standard throttle response in forward and reverse
o Expo Crawler: Standard Crawler profile featuring a smoother exponential throttle response
o Servo/Robotic Mode: delivers symmetrical motor control for robot applications
o Brushed Mode: an automatically selected brushed-motor mode
Ø Fully programmable interface using the Novak One-Touch button to adjust high-power Hill/Drag Brakes, Minimum Drive, and Deadband. Drive Frequency is adjustable in the Brushed Mode only
Ø Built-in Li-Poly Cutoff Protection which prevents Li-Po battery damage (can be activated in all profiles)
Ø Built-in Motor Rotation Software (can be activated in brushless modes only)
Ø Built-in power 6V output for optional accessory fan (Novak #564, or other detail items
Ø Gold-Plated PCB Direct-Solder Wiring Tabs for flexible soldering options
Ø Water-resistant case

Last edited by Rockpiledriver; 08-09-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

sounds good ! any drag break?

never mind it has one !
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

So is this the Sintered Crawler system or a completely different system? Pretty cool.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
So is this the Sintered Crawler system or a completely different system? Pretty cool.
This is essentially the sintered system. They added some new features.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

The new software stuff is pretty trick. Gives you a bunch of new adjutability even if you don't have a "good" computer Radio.

When are you coming by Brian?
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Big features no question.

More than I have spent to date for a motor and ecs.

Looks like it would fit nicely into my Christmas socking.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #7

The waiting is killing me(AX-10 and crawler system), but it sounds like some nice improvements so......
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Sounds nice but is the 339 msrp that is usually higher than street price? The main thing I see as a bonus over the sintered update is the brush capability. The programming is nice but I think I could do without it. I wish the price was lower because JIA's video with it in Ralph was inpsiring to me lol.
cembom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
06 Super National Champ

The programming is what allowed Ralph to hold position the way he did.

Prior to installing the new system into Ralph I was running the first gen system with the sintered rotor. He wouldn't hold position no matter what I tried and I'm running some deep gearing on Ralph.

There's no comparison, the new system rocks.

BTW, MSRP is usually higher than street price.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The "street price" should initially be about $205-$210.

The OP has the wrong photo for the controller. The correct photo is in the updated press release:

Get to the Top with the Goat
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Now at that price I might not have to wait till Christmas
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Talking

This Esc sounds sweet. So you can now program the amount of drag brake and run a brushed motor right??? How much or how little can you adjust the Drag brake when used with a brushed motor??
51504rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Whats the street price for the ESC only?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Novak Releases "The Goat" brushed/brushless esc and sintered brushless motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep them coming Charlie, and thanks for the crawler specific
systems. Novak does ROCK! ROCK ON NOVAK!!

Rick

Last edited by cars69; 08-08-2007 at 10:50 PM.
cars69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
The "street price" should initially be about $205-$210.

The OP has the wrong photo for the controller. The correct photo is in the updated press release:

Get to the Top with the Goat

I fixed the photo sorry bout that.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Is there going to be some kind of upgrade available for those that suffered through the first Crawler system and its woes?
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
Whats the street price for the ESC only?
The "street price" should settle down to @ 129, same as the price for the regular Novak XBR controller. The MSRPs for both products are the same.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster View Post
Is there going to be some kind of upgrade available for those that suffered through the first Crawler system and its woes?
Yes, there will be an exchange program for the old Crawler items. The earlier 18.5T motor can be upgraded with the sintered rotor by the user, so the motor does not necessarily need to be returned for exchange.

Details of the exchange policy will be added to the Service Replacement Options page within 4-6 weeks of the initial shipping date of the new Crawler Systems.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Nice to see!! Novak is always listening. You guys do a great job. I love all my Novak products!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet... But congrats to Microgoat for having a speed control named after ya...

Nice to have some recognition for all the testing you did for the Big Orange
I'm sure most of those "new features" were your suggestions as well
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote