Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin rebel II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Tekin rebel II

So about 10 months ago I got the Tekin Rebel 2 esc and it worked great.

About a month ago I started having what I have narrowed down the a problem with the ESC. So I figured I would ask and see if anybody has had this problem or the same problem even with a different ESC...

My rig is a tlt and I run a 7.2 2200 mAh NiMH battery pack with a 55 turn motor.

When I get into thos situations where alot of load is on the rig it just won't move forward--like its ran outa poop. I have tried 2 other battery packs and another motor to see if it changed. There was no change(even with not turning the wheels it seems to have no change).

So I am suspecting the ESC is having an issue with not being able to handle the load. I have searched and can't seem to find anybody having issues with this ESC and back when I bought it I also found alot of folks happy with it..

So anybody have any input on this?

Am at the point if it indeed is the ESC I am just going to go with a brushless (goat) setup....

Thanks...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

what and how many servo's are you runnin? is this mike from nw wheelers?im one of too tall jeremies wheelin buddies.Back to topic,the tr2 leaves alot to be desired in the crawlers i think.With out an external bec the geenie's goin to come out,just a matter of time.I would recomend an up grade.Personally i like brushed,brushless is like havin a s.b.c. in a zuke you dont need that much power parts snappin basterds.That should get the bl guys chimin.Im likeing the rooster crawler esc so far,drag brake holds real good,very smooth throttle on it also.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

What gearing are you running. I had an lrp not to long ago that did the same thing, once I changed it out I was better off.
Silversamps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I;ve been running the TR2 for almot 2 years now and no problems. I run a 55t,Hitec 5955TG (steering) and a Skyion G82122 (1444oz) servo for powering dig. I an thinking about getting a Rooster crawler ESC, but only for the drag brake. Not because of issues with the TR2.

LOL!!!!! Edit: thats 144oz not "1444oz" .

Last edited by DRCMAN; 11-04-2007 at 05:18 PM.
DRCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like the motor may need a rebuild. Get the com turned and put new brushes on it. IF you take the brushes out and they are short and the comm is really black and rough, you will know thats the problem.

Later,Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCMAN View Post
(1444oz)

some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_guy View Post

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely a typo Hey when dig just has to work

Still ROFL!!!!!!!
DRCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #8

I was going to suggest gearing too. My crawler stalled in my friends rock garden because I got in one of those situations. We changed the pinion gear and the thing worked great. Just needed to put a little torque to the wheels/tires. I run an LRP ESC. It works but I'd rather have the Rooster crawler.
2002firebirdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ok--I know its not the motor--swapped it with another spare I had with no change.

I am runing dual servo's One is a cheapy and the other is a hs-645mg

I am runing an 87t spur and I think its an 18t piniod(thought it was lower)...

rockmike--yup one in the same--speaking of which I need to call jeremy...
Old 11-04-2007, 11:38 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I hav'nt had any problems with my TK2 even when I was running rear steer with dual hs-645's....but it's coming out verry soon to get a ESC with brake and no reverse delay. not having a brake cost me some points at my last/first comp.
dhoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:40 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoffroad View Post
I hav'nt had any problems with my TK2 even when I was running rear steer with dual hs-645's....but it's coming out verry soon to get a ESC with brake and no reverse delay. not having a brake cost me some points at my last/first comp.
And thats why I got this ESC--heard nothing but good stuff. But like anything---there is always the chance of getting a bad one--or having one fail. I guess tommorow if I can get out of the shop for a bit I will try the rig without the servo's hooked up and see what happens.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:22 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Try a 14 tooth pinion you will be alot slower but gain alot more power. then go up one or two teeth untill you get what you want for power and speed.
ratterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:33 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I didnt read it anywhere . might i suggest re-programming ya speedy wit the radio, incase it has lost its settings. U might find that it isnt set up for full power forward or reverse, as per same with ya trim on the throttle. Hope ya find the problem. I have a TR2 and i loved it, but love the rooster crawler even more. Cant beat drag brakes and the smooth control u get down hill. The TR2 is in the Hilift doin its job.

Frank
ford mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Ok I will try to change the pinion.

As for reseting the ESC--We tried that and no change...:-(
Old 11-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I agree on the pinion change and unplugging one of the servo's. A 645 on it's own is all a Rebel II can handle.

One last idea, Tekin has a great service department that will turn it around quick. They can fix almost any problem on these cheap. I had problems once with mine and they treated me right.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well I tossed a 14t pinion in---and went and wadded it up--broke a shaft

So I will get it out in the next couple of days and see how it goes--thanks for everybody's input
Old 01-28-2008, 09:09 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I figured I would pop this back on top...

So today I was out testing my new setup and then all of a sudden it would not go into reverse--wel it did but it hardly moved in a VERY VERY slow jerky fashion and the esc was getting hot....

So I ripped the new r2 tranny out and dissassembled it and also the motor just to verify all that was good. I didn't find a single problem...

So I went and reversed the leads on the motor and it still did the same thing except the motor was going the oposite direction which tells me the motor/tranny are ok again.

So I try another radio and reciever..

Same thing..

So has anybody had a failure of there ESC yet?

This sucks because this was going in my kids comp rig since I have a novak goat on its way......
Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Its probably the esc, I have owned 4 TR-2's you should be able to fill out a form on their website and the can repair it for $25 or so dollars, I sent my last one back and they sent me a brand new for only $25
5150 Krawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85toykrawler View Post
Its probably the esc, I have owned 4 TR-2's you should be able to fill out a form on their website and the can repair it for $25 or so dollars, I sent my last one back and they sent me a brand new for only $25
Thats what I was thinking too and found there site late last night.....