Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Refreshing old batteries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Refreshing old batteries

Tried seaching I have a old (12 years old) 1300mah pack is there a way to get it up and running. It lasts about 5-10 minuts and that is a streach. Useing a lol AE motor that came with my RC-10 with a 93 tooth spur and 13 pinon. I have a old Pro tech charger just as old.

Yea I know I need to get new stuff, but trying to skimp cause I need to get gifts for other people not just me.
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
MWRCA'er

Those older nicds can sometimes be cycled to work ok. Basicly fully charge it then fully discharge it a few times back to back using a discharger. New pack technology is so much better though. With the way your describing the pack I'd say it's already gone.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I had some old batts in the same situation. They would only take about about a quarter of a charge and then die quick. I ended up trickle charging them then draining them just above being fully dead and then put them on an old equalizing tray. It took about a half dozen times/cycles but they now take a full charge and last like they should. Worth a try in my book...
Mr_Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks I will try and see if it works but I think some new batteries might be in my near future.
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

At what discarge amps and charge amps should somebody use? I have some 2100mah packs that are not quite that old but they don't give me the run time one would expect with a 60 turn lathe motor? Getting about 15-25 minutes which I thought was fine till I saw everybody else getting an hour from their 2/3 saddle packs! If those things are that good it's going to be hard to decide to go with them or LiPo's
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:16 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm running into the same problem, what would you reccomend for a discharder?...I know it may be a dumb question, but electronics definately are not my strong point at all.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I use my old bulb discharger that I made for touring car racing. Made out of 10 automotive tail light bulbs. I also made a relay cutoff too so the bulbs don't flat my packs if I'm not paying attention. A search should bring them both up.
Mr_Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote