Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Best way to power 4 motors and 4 servos in 1 truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Best way to power 4 motors and 4 servos in 1 truck

Well I'm trying to figure out the best way to power everything on my 8x8 project. Its using clod axles and giant tracs the outer most wheels are at 24".

This is what I have for electronics going into this 4 45t lathes,4 tower pro 945 servos, 2 super roosters, and 2 br6000's. All that running off possibly 2 separate 4200 6 cell packs

Here is what my original plan was to run 2 esc's 1 for the front 2 axles and 1 for the rear 2 axles, then power the servos on those axles with the esc's so each esc would be running 2 motors and 2 servos. Each esc would have its own battery pack, I don't think a 6 cell pack would like running 4 motors and 4 servos,even if it will take it runtime will be short.

Here is my issue if I run the bec of both esc's to the rx then I would probably fry that and maybe the servos too.

If I ran 2 escs to the rx, both with bec's would the voltage double or would the amperage double?

I am using 2 super roosters they put out 6v at 3 amps. So would it be 12V @ 3 amps or 6v @ 6 amps. If its the amperage then I can live with that but if its the voltage that doubles than it won't work.

Another idea I had was to run the escs/ motors off 1 pack and run the 4 servos off of another with a voltage regulator. I really don't like this idea cause I think that running 4 lathes is asking allot if a single pack. Also I think that there can be a slight tendency for clod stall even with 2 ecs if they are running off of the same battery.

Here is what I would like to do but am unsure if its possible. Run 2 rx's 1 to control the front 2 axles and 1 for the rears. Using a dx6 I think it may work. This way I can power everything the way I want to and makes wiring easier. I just don't know if it will work.

Just to lay out my reciver setup for everyone.

1 rx.

Battery empty
Channel 1 front esc
Channel 2 front servos on a y harness
Channel 3 rear servos on a y harness
Channel 4 rear esc
Channel 5 empty
Channel 6 empty

2 rx's

front rx

Battery empty
Channel 1 front esc
Channel 2 front servos on a y harness
Channel 3 empty
Channel 4 empty
Channel 5 empty
Channel 6 empty

rear rx

Battery empty
Channel 1 empty
Channel 2 empty
Channel 3 rear servos on a y harness
Channel 4 rear esc
Channel 5 empty
Channel 6 empty
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2007, 01:25 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

THe amperage would double for the BECs in an ideal world, but many BECs, especially linear ones do not like to be paralleled and the "better" BEC might overheat. Might be best to keep them powering their own bunch of servos rather than ganging them together to power the servos together.
DKNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:12 AM   #3
MWRCA'er

How I would do it?

Isolate the servos and plug them into your power sources. Two to the front battery, two to the rear battery. Tower pro's can take 7.2 power.

Plug the rest of the stuff into one reciever. Disconnect the BEC of one ESC.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
RCC Addict

^^ He beat me to it. Have one battery for the front 2 axles, and one for the rear. Each battery would then be powering 2 motors and 2 servos, which would be fine. Switch off ONE of the ESCs and your Rx will have power to function too.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

What about running two recievers on the same frequency? So you;re controlling two sets of EVERYTHING with one controller.
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You are overcomplicating this a whole lot. Run 1 BR6000 rx, run both esc's into 2 seperate channels, y harness the esc's to one battery. Run one servo into each of the 4 remaining channels, you can then mix the front two together and mix the rear two together. You won't hurt anything by running the bec's together. Its realy simple. If you want I can pm you me phone number and I can explain it in detail. A castle bec would be best though.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I would still use the two batteries, but run them in parallel with each other and to both ESC's. One RX is plenty and the servo power can run through the br6000, it has thick enough traces.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote