Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Endless laptops.. endless li-ion power?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Endless laptops.. endless li-ion power?

Hey guys.
First I have to say this is a great site! I have been lurking here for quite a while.

My question is this. I have access to a pretty much endless supply of laptop batteries. Are there any howtos for building packs for R/C use? I plan on getting a Li-ion capable charger too.
cheesefart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Will those batteries have enough punch (amp draw capacity)(C rating) to work in a crawler application ?
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

doesn't sound too safe cheesefart. Its a good idea to get the right batteries for the right application.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

find out the c rating anything ove 12 c and 1500 mh should be fine. as long as your are not trying to build a drag racer.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapegoat View Post
doesn't sound too safe cheesefart. Its a good idea to get the right batteries for the right application.
Li-Po batteries don't sound safe but people use them.I think the benefit of Lithium ion batteries would be insanely long run times,anybody think of any drawbacks?I have a Duratraxx ice,Can I charge a Li-Ion battery with it?
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

yes it has a li-ion setting on it.

li-po's are safe it is just people that arent. bad chargers will blow up any battery I have seen ni-cad and ni-mh blow up and they throw shrapnel at you when they go.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've never seen a battery explode but I have let the majic smoke out a couple of times
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Laptop batteries are HUGE for the power output that they deliver, but if you were doing some big truck, I would see this as a possibility. But for anything like a 2.2 or super clod, not happening. you can use the a123 Lithiums, I use those on my super. Lipos are perfectly safe...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ0SNESIkWk

no, none of my lipos have ever exploded or failed. the only time that this sort of thing happens is when people are being stupid and abusing them. as long as you charge them right and use them right they are perfectly safe.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:36 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Ok. Good to know. Thanks guys. I thought I saw someone on here using laptop cells for their AX-10 so I thought I would give it a try. I guess I will pass on that now
cheesefart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
RCC Addict

laptop batteries are huge because they have a bunch of other stuff in them. R/C applications are the only place I can think of where you get a raw li-po. If you have the balls to do it, take a laptop battery apart some time, it has the cutoff circuitry and charging circuitry and overtemp protection etc....they want to make it as hard as possible for idiots to screw them up (you remember when macs were catching on fire in peoples laps) there may be a couple of usable cells in there, just make sure the rating is right
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #11

i use li ion laptop batteries on my axial in a 2s2p set, and the only warning i could give is dont fully discharge them, unless u have the luck to find a cut off for li ion instead of lipo
brilamb2 is offline   Reply With Quote