Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Lower suspension and steering mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #1

Default Lower suspension and steering mod

Issues and resolutions with lowering suspension.

I lowered my suspension by moving the shocks to the lower link location and mounted with longer screws. Doing so resulted in a few issues.

Interference from original mount location
- Most people use a spacer and longer screw to give clearance. I chose to cut a section out of the original mount thus no space. If I want to use the upper location in the future I can swap the plastic mounts to opposite sides and be back to factory spec.

Panhard bar limiting travel
- Panhard bar limited travel due to interference from the pumpkin. I made a new bar with a couple bends to resolve that issue. (this is still in evolution, I intend to make another with more precise and extreme bends).

Servo horn issue
- Servo horn hit frame so I shortened the horn.
- Link on horn hit the bar linking left and right wheels, I relocated the servo to be top mounted offering more suspension travel.

Steering/Panhard link interference
- Steering link hit panhard link limiting left turn radius. I made new mounts with the holes further from the center of rotation. This allowed a few more degrees of rotation.
- I also made a shorter link from the servo to the wheel allowing allowing me to utilize 100% of steering potential.

With these mods I have near 100% suspension travel in all steering positions.

All these parts look a little rough, I'll make nicer looking ones in the future.

This image was before I made the steering link.

iH8usrnames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Lower suspension and steering mod

Great write up of what’s needed to lower the shocks. I plan on doing this soon and appreciate the knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nice write up. I did lower the rear of mine. Mine had a stink bug look. I had the some spacers laying around and used them on the rear shocks. Mine now sits level. Real happy with the way it looks and wheels better too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeeptec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looking at lowering my rig as well... You are limiting articulation and shock travel from the get-go, why not just put spacers in the shocks to lower them, instead of reengineering the front suspension?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #5

There is an offset servo steering arm made for the HPI Venture that may clear the frame. Just a thought. I enjoy following your build.
Prescott John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Looking at lowering my rig as well... You are limiting articulation and shock travel from the get-go, why not just put spacers in the shocks to lower them, instead of reengineering the front suspension?
My rear suspension has full travel. Front is about 3/16” from full travel and will be full travel when I’m done figuring it out.

Some have suggested softer springs, which may happen on the rear.
iH8usrnames is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower suspension and steering mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
any one tried one lower link suspension steven318is Newbie General 4 12-28-2016 09:44 PM
looking for steering mod and axle mod advise.... jared86 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 08-18-2016 11:12 PM
Xirtic + JP High Clearance Steering Mod on Mod JeffK11 RC4WD Bully 1 02-01-2012 09:55 AM
Front Dig Mod,steering mod & pushbar TheButcher69 General Crawlers 1 11-06-2006 06:32 PM