Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Enduro shock spring color and rates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2022, 10:22 AM   #1

Default Enduro shock spring color and rates

Recently added brass to my enduro and now I feel as if I need some stiffer shock springs. It currently has the stock ones that came with the builders kit. I think black springs on all 4 corners.The truck weights in at 8.4 lbs and will be adding slightly more weight to it with a brass front diff cover. My question is what does the shock springs color mean? Any suggestions on what colors I should start with and or what weigh shock oils also?. Also would not be opposed to a better shock as well. Thanks for any help in advance.
Lspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2022, 10:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Enduro shock spring color and rates

You can check the spring rate of the ones you have by looking at the ends of em where they are painted a certain color. Once you figure out what rates you have, you can go up to the next higher rate.

Element Enduro spring rates listed from soft/stiff @ lb/in:
Green - .71
White - .95
Grey - 1.49
Blue - 2.09
Yellow - 2.47
Black - 4.75 (IFS)
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

"Interesting" that grey through yellow are relatively close to each other, but then there's a HUGE difference between yellow & black. Would be great I'd there was something in-between...something right around 3.5 (+/- 0.25).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Gray is as stiff as I like it execpt on an IFS build.

Greens are a bit too soft unless is a super light comp build, other wise they just bottom out (100% droop)

White and gray are the ones I use most often.

Lspencer you might try the Blue or yellow spings, black spings are likely to be way too stiff.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:39 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post

Greens are a bit too soft unless is a super light comp build, other wise they just bottom out (100% droop)

Lspencer you might try the Blue or yellow spings, black spings are likely to be way too stiff.
Can't speak for the Op (since he didn't indicate)...but, I am adding the IFS Conversion Kit. For the front, I just think the black springs are a bit too stiff. That's why I think something between yellow & black would be good. I haven't even adjusted the front preload (all the way 'up'), and it looks like it's riding slightly high.

Granted, while I have the servo & motor installed, I haven't checked the ride with ESC & battery in place...so, once they're both in place, in things could 'change'. Still, I'd prefer ever-so-slightly softer springs & some preload, over stiffer springs & no preload.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 02-03-2022, 06:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Can't speak for the Op (since he didn't indicate)...but, I am adding the IFS Conversion Kit.

I started a IFS suspension tuning thread Enduro IFS Shock Tuning thread

I had to go back to it to see what I ended up doing, yellows up front with lots of preload and blue in the back with no preload (running the gatekeeper body)
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:53 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I started a IFS suspension tuning thread Enduro IFS Shock Tuning thread

I had to go back to it to see what I ended up doing, yellows up front with lots of preload and blue in the back with no preload (running the gatekeeper body)
1) Thank you did that info.
2) I'll definitely be reading that thread (as if you couldn't have already figured that out...lol).

Old 02-03-2022, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:

I looked at mine and it looks as if I have the Grey springs. Think I will try the next one up on the front and maybe keep the Grey in the back for now. The front end just feels like it is really un dampened when crawling from the weight.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
You can check the spring rate of the ones you have by looking at the ends of em where they are painted a certain color. Once you figure out what rates you have, you can go up to the next higher rate.

Element Enduro spring rates listed from soft/stiff @ lb/in:
Green - .71
White - .95
Grey - 1.49
Blue - 2.09
Yellow - 2.47
Black - 4.75 (IFS)
Great thanks for the info. I checked mine and ibdo have the Grey springs.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:14 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Curious if there are any other springs that fit. The black as others have mentioned are a bit stiff. The yellows if I max out preload the truck is still sitting pretty low with full sized pack and a bit heavier bumper than stock.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:52 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Curious if there are any other springs that fit. The black as others have mentioned are a bit stiff. The yellows if I max out preload the truck is still sitting pretty low with full sized pack and a bit heavier bumper than stock.

I've been wondering the same thing...say, something like the Pro-Line Big Bore Scaler Shocks Spring Set, and using the "stiff" (ie. 'red') for the IFS. Of anyone has all three springs (AE/Element 'black' & 'yellow', and the 'red' Big Bore Scaler), can you test-fit the Pro-Line spring on the Enduro shock? And also test/compare their compression against each other?

Old 02-04-2022, 12:32 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Axial springs fit, and as you can see the Gmade RSD springs are the same diameter so there should be some kind of solution out there.
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

TRX4 Springs also work. Their blue spring rate is between the yellow and black Element springs. Had to run a decent amount of preload to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:43 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Here is a Trailrunner chassis and a 1300mah 3s lipo on Yellow springs before force is applied:

You can see that it will hold up the weight, but any bigger battery and it won’t hold itself up.

Here is after bottoming out the suspension:

This is as high as it will return to on these springs and a small battery. As for flex:

The front gets to inline with the skid before lifting the rear tire. The jack is completely maxed out here. The back corner is completely bottomed out, and will bottom out before the front ever does.

I’ll do the same with the TRX4 blues next.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Same setup as the yellows, just with the TRX4 blues instead:

Before bottoming out:

After bottoming out:

And the flex test:

It returns to better ride height with these. Again, arms only get to parallel before bottoming out.

Both tests were done a brand new Trailrunner.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:35 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Springs have 0 effect on bottom put, that's the bumpers on the shock stopping it from bottoming out.

You also don't want it riding high on the suspension, increases COG and thus tip over rate.

Bottom out is a bit conservative as well, limiting travel, can go further.

tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Enduro shock spring color and rates - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proline shock spring rates chipgibbs Axial Wraith 3 04-13-2016 05:29 PM
spring rates & shock lenghts 73fordhighboy Duratrax Cliff Climber 1 09-30-2009 02:12 PM
losi shock spring rates limpy88 General Crawlers 3 08-07-2009 07:02 AM
savage shock spring rates? muddeprived General Crawlers 2 05-05-2007 11:44 AM
shock: oil and spring rates???? rockhound General Crawlers 0 03-04-2005 12:06 PM