Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Speedy's Utron-Runner Project!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2023, 02:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Talking Speedy's Utron-Runner Project!!!

What's up fellow tiny truckers and builders!!!
It’s been a few years since I got started in the hobby and joined a couple of forums, since I have been slowly fallen down the rabbit hole and building a collection. By nature, I have always love tinkering and wrenching on things I am an CAD/Electrical engineer by profession and taking apart things and learning how they work is always been a passion.

This place has been great source of information and entertainment for the hobby, and since I try to participate and post frequently. However, I have never started a build thread of my own until now.

My journey with the tiny trucks started in late 2019... I took a break from riding and wrenching on motorcycles to spend time with my boys in the garage and teach them how to take apart, fix, wrench and learn motor controls. RC is perfect for it... it has the mechanical aspect and the electronics to get them started in STEM activities at a manageable scale, plus as I mentioned I get enjoy both their companion as well as joy for building.

The collection includes rigs from SSD, Vanquish, Axial, Losi, Kyosho, FMS, RC4WD, Traxxas, MST, Boom Racing and the most recent acquisition from ELEMENT.

As many of you already know it’s not hard to fall down the Rabbit hole within this hobby and the market for them has been blowing up in the past few years with so many different options and set ups available the temptation is obvious.

The latest addition to the stable is the Recently introduced Element Utron. I have yet to see any builds with this platform so I thought it be a good start for a build thread. I know this truck has varying opinions for what it is, entry level package with bushings and all mostly plastic, unlicensed and questionable looking body, however the price is right on point for an RTR with ok electronics and a very light and capable. I really mean light and capable with emphasis. I was very surprised at the weight, granted I did not have any experience with Elements Rigs so I was not expecting it to feel and act so well out of the box.

The main reason this rig was added to the stable was the IFS-2, I have plenty of straight axle trucks for crawling and try to keep different set ups in the collection to give it some different flavors. Stashed away still have the gatekeeper and IFS-1 set up for a Tacoma build that should be coming soon, but too many projects on the backburner. I personally look more for scale over performance as I like the challenge rather than walking all over the terrain with ease.

The plan is to slowly built this rig with upgrades while trying to keep it scale and a fun challenge on the rocks. The Utron body is let’s say a bit of an acquired taste ... who are we lying is ugly ... or most accurate FUGLY. It has big hips and flat faced, it seems to give me that RIVIAN & Tesla Truck look. In all honestly, I seen some improvements with the printed parts and accessories that help the look but still far from appealing. So, the Utron body will be making its way out of the build.

Many years ago, I had a second gen 4runner that I really enjoyed driving and wheeling so before the Utron Acquisition a proline 4runner had made its way to the shop for some paint and details without even having any ideas for the chassis. Well, the Utron has the correct drivetrain for a second get 4runner ... I know that the SAS runners are far more capable but this is a scale build and we are keeping the IFS.

Before the changes I could not hold myself to drive it the way it comes and let me tell you I was impress on how well it drives and how nimble and planted it is, most likely due to its weight. The included electronics seem to be up to par for the truck in stock configuration - we will be changing things out and they will surely be truly tested and give a good shakedown. ESC has nice modulation and hold brake, it does get pretty hot in comparison to other ESC's in the stable (HW's 1060's. 1080's, Traxxas and Axials). I would not say that my backyard trails are long but there are some challenging areas and I sure put the rigs throughout their pace without overly abusing them. No WOT on the rocks for me but I can’t say the same for my 3- and 5-year-olds as they love to see the dirt and pebbles fly off the tires as they full throttle their way throughout the backyard. .

Ultimately the drivetrain is what I was looking after as I wanted to try the IFS-2. The front end is nice and robust and has good geometry while looking fairly similar to a 1:1 IFS set up. The shocks are nice and so far, leak free but could use a little softer spring up front, something we will be playing with as we add more weight and details to this build. Moving back to the rear axle I noticed a bit of clicking, so this will probably will be one of the first changes. Open up the rear axle and perhaps do some shimming as it seems to be the weak point for the Element rigs, from my reads and lurking of the forum it seems to be a common point of failure. So that would be one of the first areas to check.
Well, that should be enough introduction to the build, the goal is to document the improvements while having some fun changing stuff around and will be doing some CAD to create inner fenders and hidden body mounts for this Rig. Some stock pictures to come before the changes. See you soon with updates!!!
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2023, 06:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Speedy's Utron-Runner Project!!!

Cool to see a thread started on one of these!

I plan to pick one up as well, whenever that may be but the price is just on point. I do want to use the body for something else though. Looking forward to your updates anyway.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:17 PM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

First Utron build on the board!?

Nice intro, bring on some Yota. HOpe this be the first build thread of many!
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:08 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

Congrats on your first build thread!

Glad to see a Utron making a debut here on RCC. I don't have one yet, but the plan is to get one later this year.

Following along to see what great things you have in store for it!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 09:56 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
Cool to see a thread started on one of these!

I plan to pick one up as well, whenever that may be but the price is just on point. I do want to use the body for something else though. Looking forward to your updates anyway.
Thanks Goro, the body is not too bad or as I make it seem but given there is better options, Well!!! As for the Rig its definitely well set for upgrades given the cost. nonetheless a great base!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
First Utron build on the board!?

Nice intro, bring on some Yota. HOpe this be the first build thread of many!
Thanks Smog , Yes I thought there be more interest since its been out for a little while but no much fuzz about it at least here. I really believe its the shell or the fact that is basic ... perfect for building!!! and yes I will try to share some other projects/threads going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Congrats on your first build thread!

Glad to see a Utron making a debut here on RCC. I don't have one yet, but the plan is to get one later this year.

Following along to see what great things you have in store for it!
Thanks B-Mow, Yes I thought it be the perfect opportunity to introduce myself, get more involved and share some info with fellow truckers Not to mention is something new and not a lot of them showing up here. it has been a bit quiet around here.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:09 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Back in here with some updates...

Finally got my account back and working to be able to post some pictures of the progress... as we all know we come here for the imagery. I was not able to upload pictures straight to the site and I rather not have to create account to be able to image-share. Here is how the Journey started as a box stock Utron.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2023, 11:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

back in with some updates before the weekend... hope some of you get to enjoy a bit of tiny trucking this weekend whether on the bench or out and about.

Even though is really easy to order stuff online and sometimes being able to get it by the next day is a plus, I really like to go shop a place where I can physically pick up parts so I always try to visit one of my (3) Local Hobby Shops that are relatively close to my commute. Lucky!!! I know!!! I've read some members here are probably not as fortunate on Hobby Shop availability. Although I bet they can find better crawling spots available than in here. Besides it is always a good excuse to check out for the newest releases and being able to see them in person rather than the tube or pictures. On to the build.

Started messing with the wheel base to be able to fit the 4runner body. At the LHS's I was able to get a set of enduro rear link set (ASC42044) along with some axial capra 1.96 hd M4 Rod ends bent rod ends (AXI234006) and the always useful Traxxas long rod ends (TRA5525) to be able to play with the wheelbase. Before I settled in getting these parts i played around with a set of links from a vanquish kit that I used the axles on the TGH-Holmes build. The lengths of the links probably would of work but the hollow balls on the VP's are too wide for the skid and I was already plannning to use the VP link set anyways. Like I mentioned too many projects, work, kids, maintenance, we sure do get caught up!!!

The stock plastic links on the utron have offsets on the ends like the capra... unfortunately they are one-piece plastic and very stout. They will get used a lot with the IFS at front and long wheelbase it will use the belly and links to slide around. As I mentioned before the front springs are a bit stiff but going softer might droop too much and affect the clearance (will be playing with that in the future). With a combination of straigh and bent rod ends and the 100 & 108 mm links a was able to get the wheelbase on point for the Runner body with no binding and using the original driveshaft, which was shortened about 8 mm approximately.

As mentioned this truck is bare bones as in everything is plastic and no bearings. I will be ordering a bearing kit at some point as I still want to open the rear axle for inspection. The plan is to use it as it is and start the upgrades as we go throughout the truck. Changing all the ball ends to metal is part of the changes and possibly some ssd goodies for the axle will be in the future.

Shortening the wheelbase meant that the rear shock towers have to move or it will have the shocks leaning backwards. So the shock towers were moved to the furtest forward holes in the frame to allow for better shock travel. The rear springs have softened more as they have more travel and flex by the links.

Also worked on the Runner body, paint was laid a few months back looking for a retro and used truck look from the 90's. There were more details to be done and more to come. Ive been using fusion360 for a while and im confortable creating parts with the help of the caliper scale and paper templates so i made some windshield wipers and rear view mirrors. I also bought and downloaded the Knight costumes 4runner grill which will be added accordingly but for now the lexan grill and front end was painted and will be staying. The plan is to avoid the body post and pins and create a mounting system sort of hidden. Its not going to be seamless but it wont be body pins. Ive used magnets successfully in previous builds and heading on that direction made sense. A while back I ordered some magnets mounts from Ebay, they are 2 plastic strips with keyed magnets secured with screws and holes for factory body post. I only used the front as it will be under the hood and I was planning on using the rear on the rear body post but I really wanted to keep the rear body post hidden so I will work on a magnet and key rear post to hold the back end from inside the tailgate.
Working on making a new bumper mount, rear floorboard and body mount alltogether. Ive laid down the body with the stock bumpers and it looks great at front but the rear needs to be moved forward to clean the look. Unfortunately the stock bumper mount wont allow to slide it back all the way, reason im making my own mount is ideal. I will either shoegoo the magnets or find a way to put a screw and washer, This to be determined.

Thats all for now ... time to work on fusion for some parts. Here is the Runner body with some of the details i added ... rear stock wing that came on the runners is on the horizon as well and a roof rack will be added on later.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2023, 01:11 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well back at it with a little update before printing starts... I will be using the mentioned magnet mount up front on the body post as it fits perfectly. I used two screws that sorta look like the wiper nozzles for the windshield... a bit oversize but it gives the look. I added a small strip of double sided tape so that the plastic and the Lexan don't rub and flop around scratching all the paint on the inside, I always give the bodies a coat of truck bed liner as the last layer after the paint cures for all my lexan bodies. It gives it a thick layer and adds rigidity to the Lexan.

As mentioned I wanted to avoid the body post visible through the body and did not want to make holes on the top of the body. I also needed to move the rear bumper forward since I adjusted the wheelbase and the rear bumper would not slide any longer with the original bumper brace. Given the opportunity a new bumper brace and magnet body mount needed to be created in fusion. moving the rear shock towers forward also created a lot of empty space between the shock tower brace and the rear bumper mount so I filled the space with the new bumper mount to close the area and create a floor board in this area. Here is a pic of the contraption, ready to print in two parts ... the floor board, bumper mount and magnet mount in one piece and the brace for the body that will be fixed by some screws. The magnets are countersunk and will be fixed in the printed parts with screws, that way they can be reused and clean if the parts need improvements. The good thing about creating your own parts other than learning is that you can modify them accordingly as you progress in your project.

Will be back again as I am working on the rear inner fenders. I have a file from KnightCustoms for the TrailRunner that has inner fenders but given that I moved my towers they will need to be modified to accommodate the new location of the towers.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2023, 09:54 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Body looks cool! And can't wait to see the oem spoiler, that'd be a nice touch. I'd even love to buy one from you for my Gen8 4Runner.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:00 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Body looks cool! And can't wait to see the oem spoiler, that'd be a nice touch. I'd even love to buy one from you for my Gen8 4Runner.
thanks goro ... oem spoiler is on the works. Will let you know when its ready. I also want to include some of the window visors ... much like the ones on your Landcruiser build.

Last edited by Speedy-Triple; 08-24-2023 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:42 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Well this thing is looking better and better... parts have been printed and fitted with great results.

The rear bracket worked like a charm as subfloor, bumper brace and magnet mount. The Inner fenders were modified to fit the towers since these were moved forward to adjust the wheelbase and also were given some paint.

I decided to pick up the Knightcustom's TRD grill for some bling up front and painted it silver along with the exhaust for some contrast. I did have to mirror the exhaust as there rear passenger shock tower has an extension of some sort that is on the way. its there to support something but I have no idea what is? Does anyone know?... is it used as a front tower and this is the pan hart mount? you can see it on the second picture where I chopped that print hence the extension is on the way.

While the stock wheels and tires are great and perform really good... the wheels actually look nice on the 4Runner but I already had some Wrangler MTs mounted on the black Wagon wheels that I think give it a more scale look, all button up with the stock wheel hubs provided on the stock wheels and added a Aisin/yota locking hubs. These added a bit of weight and made the Utron-Runner more stable.

As you can see the front bumper works and looks great on this body however the rear one is a 1/2 inch too wide and sticks out a bit more than I would like in the rear quarter panels. I really like the style on the bumper and works and protects the body really good but still bugs me.

So far I am loving this build and will soon start to experiment with actual performance changes to the truck. Still have some cosmetic plans for it but as its getting more weight and use its going to require the bearing kit and maybe some brass... I have yet to see them available but the faux brake rotors included in the Element SE are the perfect for some brass replacements. Anyways ... there is some pictures for your entertainment.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2023, 06:26 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Looks pretty good if you ask me!

A set of window visors and that rear spoiler will scale it out nicely.

As for the rear right shock tower, it looks like that's a panhard mount? Shock tower is repurposed from the early Element kits before they revised the panhard mount to the metal one it seems.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:08 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Little Update ...

I really dig the performance of this Rig as it sits ... the weight of the aluminum wheels really made a difference in how it handles and stays pretty planted. It responds well and is nimble when it 3 wheels and unlike the solid axle trucks

the IFS lets you rectify your weight and allows you to settle the front end with a bit of steering input just like a 1.1. yota's. I printed the rear spoiler and changed the wheels to some CNC customs wrapped in some Milestar Patagonias that my

Trail King was rocking. Still looking to add the window visors and interior but that will come later. Next is a bearing kit to go throughout the whole truck as I'm putting in a lot more run time and is getting heavier ... its definitely a lot of

fun to drive around being able to throttle up and go trail around faster than the solid axle trucks, and although it shouldn't be as capable as some of my other crawlers ... its surprisingly good at everything in my little course.

Here are some pictures of the latest changes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Speedy-Triple; 09-15-2023 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:29 PM   #14
Slow is the new Fast

Nice work man! Your effort is paying off nicely. Love all the printed detail pieces. I do agree with your appreciation for your local hobby shop. If not for mine I likely wouldn't even be engaged in the hobby. It's nice to be able to see and touch the stuff.

Anyway, she's a beaut, keep it coming!
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 02:52 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Beautiful.!
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 07:50 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Rig looks great! And that spoiler turned out awesome.
Old 09-18-2023, 08:26 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Nice work man! Your effort is paying off nicely. Love all the printed detail pieces. I do agree with your appreciation for your local hobby shop. If not for mine I likely wouldn't even be engaged in the hobby. It's nice to be able to see and touch the stuff.

Anyway, she's a beaut, keep it coming!
Thanks Smog ... Definitely adding the bits to the lexan compliments it. Only problem when going to the LHS is that I end up grabbing more than I need or end up interested in another project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post
Beautiful.!
Thanks SteveB1. More to come.

Quote:
Rig looks great! And that spoiler turned out awesome.
Thanks Goro. Send me a PM with your Address for the spoiler. Also I saw this over the weekend on the HWY and reminded me of your build. VVVVV
Attached Images

Speedy's Utron-Runner Project!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
boyer/scx10/t-runner project bvrc 1.9 Scale Rigs 28 07-13-2013 12:55 PM
Project "Ridge Runner" Silverado SS 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 03-26-2008 04:49 PM