Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Ok, ordered the Berg .. now what ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #1

Question Ok, ordered the Berg .. now what ?

I have been looking to get a crawler for a while, my idea is to do competition later on when I am half decent .. my philosophy is, always make sure you buy the best .. so when you fail, you can only blame yourself .. not the equipment

with that in mind, I ordered a Berg 2.2 kit from Japan (I'm in the UK) 2 spark 1000 brushless motors and the enroute esc's .. so my n00b question now is .. to make this into a class A crawler .. what do you advise ?, change the chassis ? to what ?, change shocks ? to whom ? and what tires ?

Sorry, I know this can be quite a generic set of questions, but I hope some feedback can be given.

cheers

Null
NullMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

My .02 cents would be to just get the rig on the rocks in stock form maybe a set of Losi Claws for tires and as your driving experience grows so will the need for upgraded parts. Plus try and find a local club and see what some of the popular parts are for the terrain you'll be crawling on are. Good luck
Chargerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Drive it! I'm living proof that a pimped out crawler doesn't win comps. Kamikaze did quite well with his stock newage I'm told, and I do quite poorly with my tricked out berg, so I'd say at least 75% is driving skill.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Get a zero chassis, some clod offset beadlocks and some panther cougers and you are set. Well I wouln't run brushless, 2 55t lathe motors is all you need.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Get a zero chassis, some clod offset beadlocks and some panther cougers and you are set. Well I wouln't run brushless, 2 55t lathe motors is all you need.
why not brushless, are they not good for crawling ? (the spark 1000's price was quite good... I think .. then again, I am a Nitro guy)

clod offset beadlocks, can you advise some good alloy ones ?

Last edited by NullMind; 06-16-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:27 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Mayham Eng. and Vanquish Products both have Berg specific alloy rims in the vendors section
dorji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

This is what i would do.

Zero chassis,Mayhem OCM/Berg offset wheels,Panther Tires,NWTT foams,55T motor and a 3 cell lipo.

The brushed motors IMHO are way smother.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The BlackJack is a nice fit as well. But that depends if you like a low COG and like a droop setup.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #9

thanks guys, lots of great info
Old 06-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
RCC Addict

You just need to get it, build it, run it, then decide how you want to go.

ESPECIALLY if you aren't running gated comps, you probably won't need to go to narrower wheels off the bat. Heck, if running full width, you can do great at comps.

A LOT of chassis options out there, just look through the vendor's section. A couple are making some now that are "Berg Specific," but most of the comp chassis' out there can easily be adapted to run Berg axles. Heck, I am running a $2 piece of aluminum c-channel right now, and love it.

Tires will mainly be dependent on the local terrain, so ask around if there are any other crawlers nearby. See what works for them, and grow from there.

As stated, I would have skipped on the BLs. Great for speed, great for scalers, but when you just want that low end "grunt" in the middle of a comp, a nice torqie brushed motor is what you want.

Good Luck On The Build!!!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote