Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: My Berg: Transition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default My Berg: Transition

I had a competition this weekend, so I had to do a quick build once I received my Berg axles last Tuesday. The long term plan is to build a linkless stick chassis similar to my Super Class Clod. For now, I basically stripped down my TLT comp rig and put the new Berg's underneath the chassis.

Some Spec's:

Berg axles
My chassis/links
Losi shocks
MaxAmps 3-cell 2000mah Lipo
Tekin FX-R
Integy 55t lathe motors
Hitec 645mg steering, Hitec 85mg for dig
10 tooth pinions
Rear motor cutoff (dig)
Wheels are currently undecided
Panther Cougar tires
HPI Bug body, I love how low it looks on the berg

Here are some pictures from Saturday's East TN competition.

My TLT offset Mayhem Engineering beadlocks put the track width too wide, so Greg (one of the local drivers) let me borrow a set of Proline beadlocks with Hammers mounted. They got the width down to 10 1/4" which was much easier to handle. There are so many different beadlocks out now that I can't decide what to go with. It's a wonderful problem to have so many choices. I'm currently trying to decide between Proline's, Mayhem's, or Erickson adjustable offsets.

Before the comp I had zero time on the rocks with this truck, the only driving I had was on my apartment floor. I hammered on it pretty good during the comp and didn't have any major issues. Had a Revo rod end pull out of a link, but a little CA fixed that pretty easily. I didn't even notice it came out until after the run. Best part is I got first place with it on it's first outing. It seems like I broke something on my TLT during every competition. The Berg is so much more fun to drive, knowing I don't have to worry about things like mechanical dig engaging, a transmission, or even the dreaded shaft slipping off the axle pinion.

Body off pictures coming soon...

Last edited by SVEN; 06-16-2008 at 05:44 PM.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Good job on the win.

I guess we all better watch out at the SERCRC event next week.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I really like my Mayhem OCM offset wheels.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Let us know if we can help. We have Mayhem "7" and spiders in the berg offset and will put you at just a nats a## under 10 1/4 on track width. We also will have a berg offset with live weights, hope to have pic's of the prototypes by the end of the week.

Mayhem Eng.
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
...We also will have a berg offset with live weights, hope to have pic's of the prototypes by the end of the week.

Mayhem Eng.
Please explain live weights:neutral:
Miller Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Lookin good SVEN Congrats on the win
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post

Bring your ear plugs.

Congrats on the win Steve,good driving. Guess I'll make the courses harder next time......

This rig did perform well. Allot slower than your TLT. I miss watching your TLT bounce around jumping holes. Hopefully that gear oil your talking about will calm the noise down.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Looks good Steven and congrats on the win... We built Gregs tonight and you can"t even hear it run..Need to check your mesh...I guess this weeks comp will be just about all Bergs :-(:-(
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
Good job on the win.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Let us know if we can help. We have Mayhem "7" and spiders in the berg offset and will put you at just a nats a## under 10 1/4 on track width. We also will have a berg offset with live weights, hope to have pic's of the prototypes by the end of the week.

Mayhem Eng.
I love my spider's (tlt offset). I can't wait to see what you are coming out with. I'm not a big fan of extra rotating mass, so I'm interested in the 'live' weight. Similar to your Competition Phatty's I would assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Tyme View Post
Please explain live weights:neutral:
The weight moves, rather than stuck in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon635 View Post
Lookin good SVEN Congrats on the win
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Bring your ear plugs.

Congrats on the win Steve,good driving. Guess I'll make the courses harder next time......

This rig did perform well. Allot slower than your TLT. I miss watching your TLT bounce around jumping holes. Hopefully that gear oil your talking about will calm the noise down.
Haha , thanks. Yeah, it is a bit noisy. Those courses were awesome, very challenging yet 'doable'. I got the gears lubed up with Rocksmith's gear jelly and it has cut down on the decibels. The gears are silent with out the motor installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddill View Post
Looks good Steven and congrats on the win... We built Gregs tonight and you can"t even hear it run..Need to check your mesh...I guess this weeks comp will be just about all Bergs :-(:-(
Thanks. I've tried every mesh possible and it doesn't change. I checked the motor screws and they aren't hitting either. I guess it's something with the motors, I can't find anything else.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
Mic
Rock Crawler

I have a 55t intergy moter that is very loud compard to the 45t version of the same motor. I just thought that is what they were suposed to sound like. I will have to take it apart and see what is going on with it. It does seem to run a little hoter than I think it should. That may be the same thing going on with yours as my Berg with 45t motors is silent.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Some updates...

The loud grinding noise was due to using standard pitch gears rather than metric. It is silent now.

Got some Panther Cougars mounted to Mayhem Berg Comp wheels. I'm using 1 Losi foam cut in half and 1 NWTracTech foam in each tire. It ends up looking like an Oreo, with one half of a Losi on the outsides of the NWTT memory foam.

I finally upgraded the old Hitec 645mg to a JR8711. There is such a big difference, it's unbelievable how I could have gone without it for so long.

Transition phase 2 is coming soon, so this is the last time it will use this chassis. But here are some pics from last weekends ETRC comp at the Ocoee.

Here's a little preview of Transition Phase 2...

Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
Some updates...

The loud grinding noise was due to using standard pitch gears rather than metric. It is silent now.

Got some Panther Cougars mounted to Mayhem Berg Comp wheels. I'm using 1 Losi foam cut in half and 1 NWTracTech foam in each tire. It ends up looking like an Oreo, with one half of a Losi on the outsides of the NWTT memory foam.

I finally upgraded the old Hitec 645mg to a JR8711. There is such a big difference, it's unbelievable how I could have gone without it for so long.

Transition phase 2 is coming soon, so this is the last time it will use this chassis. But here are some pics from last weekends ETRC comp at the Ocoee.

Here's a little preview of Transition Phase 2...

Looks like the start of a stick type chassis . Nice machine work Sven .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I like it, can't wait to see were this goes!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #14
Official Cook of the ECC

Do we have anything other than Bergs in our condo?
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd View Post
Looks like the start of a stick type chassis . Nice machine work Sven .
Something like that.

I drew up the pieces in AutoCAD and sent them to Wet Jet Precision (www.wetjetprecision.com) where they cut them out with a Water Jet machine.

No one should ever use the excuse that they don't have the tools to make their own stuff. I had both of the chassis in this thread made for less than I could buy a chassis pre-made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
Do we have anything other than Bergs in our condo?
Huh? What else is there?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

The axle mount uses the stock berg axle clamps as well as the 4 holes that would normally be used for the link mounts. It may be a little bit excessive, but I know it will hold.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Got the rear axle mounted up minus the shock. The rear is the easy one, because I don't have to clock the axle tubes or make a servo mount like I will for the front.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I would have cut it for you for free......... I am glad to see someone tale axle swing into account with a stick type chassis. Great job sven!!!
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I know you would have Jeff, but the cost of material alone (not including shipping it) would have been way more than what I paid to have it cut and shipped to me. I will probably get you to cut some smaller stuff in the near future though.

Eliminating or at least reducing the axle swing was one of the key features of the design.

Like you predicted the 1/2" delrin backbone does flex a bit, so I will be adding an aluminum L bracket down the full length.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
Some updates...

Did you run something other than stock gears?? I thought the gears that came with it would be correct but mine is noisy with 45T integys too??
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote