Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: figured out my steering issue!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default figured out my steering issue!

Well i think i finally figured out my steering. Had zero issues all day at sundays comp. pretty close to the same setup that kamikaze is using, but a little different.
i used 2 of the stock upper links. I used 1 stock rod end ball in both of the rod ends and used a washer on the outside by the stock screw head to keep the rod end from popping over the screw. I did not use any of the rubber o rings, the stock ball end fits the 2 rod ends pefectly allowing just enough slack to keep them from binding.
I had to grind the inside rod end a bit to clear the servo arm which you can see in the pics.
all in all i am very pleased with it. It is up high enough not to catch on anything and the steering is just about even with regards to inner and outer tire steer. with this config i have been able to turn the sharpest yet! and i can actually make it sharper if i wanted to because i have backed it off a bit to keep the pin engaged to the outer shaft at full lock.
here are some pics!

Last edited by rockbound; 06-24-2008 at 07:55 PM.
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
RCC Addict

hey cj that looks good, i am not sure about setting it up like that though. i think that is going to put some big time load on the servo....
i am still working on my steering. i am trying to use the standard method just experimenting with different arms right now.
4stAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stAir View Post
hey cj that looks good, i am not sure about setting it up like that though. i think that is going to put some big time load on the servo....
i am still working on my steering. i am trying to use the standard method just experimenting with different arms right now.
I added a spacer to my servo mount and I get full steering lock to lock with steering rod mounted on top.
v10king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stAir View Post
i put a 5998tg servo on it, i don't think i will be having any issues with load. at least i hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10king View Post
I added a spacer to my servo mount and I get full steering lock to lock with steering rod mounted on top.
i thought about doing that but then my servo is even higher and more unprotected. If i was running a body then i would probably go that route!
Old 06-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i am running the same servo... but matt has me scared of the magic smoke now....
Old 06-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Jason smoked a servo doing it the same way.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post

i kept checking it throughout the day and it never got hot.

busted can make anything go up in smoke!!
Old 06-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Smoked 3 of them with the same setup you are showing.

Changed it to a normal draglink/tie rod setup and it's fine.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Smoked 3 of them with the same setup you are showing.

Changed it to a normal draglink/tie rod setup and it's fine.
yeah i read that in your post.

Quick question, are you sure that you had no binding anywhere? I can turn mine lock to lock and still grab the links and easily twist them by hand at any point in their travels. Did you check if yours did that? just curious cause i obviously do not want to smoke any servos.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
R.I.P. Chip

Yep as far as I could tell everything was free to move.

Just check the servo every few minutes, if it isn't getting hot you should be good to go. Mine got smoking hot.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Chargerguy also experienced a hot servo condition while running a dual-arm setup, and changed back to a tierod setup because of it.

Both '04 Rubicon and myself have been running a dual arm setup recently (mine on OCM, his on Axial), and haven't had any overheating issues.

I hope someone figures out why this is happening to some and not others!! I would like to know what to do to prevent a problem in the future.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Chargerguy also experienced a hot servo condition while running a dual-arm setup, and changed back to a tierod setup because of it.

Both '04 Rubicon and myself have been running a dual arm setup recently (mine on OCM, his on Axial), and haven't had any overheating issues.

I hope someone figures out why this is happening to some and not others!! I would like to know what to do to prevent a problem in the future.
To be safe, I think I'm going to start out w/ a traditional drag link set up.

Can't afford to replace $100.00+ servos very often.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #13

Assuming neither are binding I don't understand how the two link set-up puts more stress on the servo. Not saying that it doesn't but I don't understand it, both set-ups are turning two wheels??? Not saying that it wasn't Jason's problem swaping it and then not having the problem says alot, but I know Kamikaze has be running this set-up without any problems????
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
RCC Addict

i beleive it due to ther servos travel.... a servo swings in an arc not a linear motion..
so that means its not only loaded laterally its being loaded when it tries to raise the linkage as it swings it horizontally.
does that sound right to anyone else?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:17 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Ben thinking this one over...not saying I have the answer.
It might have to do with the fact that when using a drag link the servo is either pushing or pulling.
With two links the servo is doing both simultaneous and while the total work may be similar it still is creating opposition to direction of travel.

Picture pushing a 300lb object doable but will require a firm foundation

Now picture pushing a 150lb object while another 150lbs is dangling over a ledge tied to your back....that sounds a little harder.

Not saying it is not possible put those of us running 200oz servos may have a harder time than those of you running 325+oz servos. And this scenario would also be compounded by how much weight is involved.

Last edited by Miller Tyme; 06-26-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Miller Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
True, I am running dual links, however I've been using the dual swivel ball link from Dubro, for over three months now, with no issues. I am using it with a Hitec HS5990TG servo. I've yet to see anyone else run this same kind of setup. Those that have been having servo issues seem to be doing the 'one rod end on top of the other' technique. I am working on a similar concept to what I run now, just more durable than the plastic dual swivel ball link.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote