Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Another new rig for '08

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Another new rig for '08

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a Berg. I was a little hesitant since I just love my Axial axled GC2. The GC2 is just incredible and I couldn't believe what it did and how well it handled. I decided to just build the Berg pretty much stock. I used STRC bent lower links for an Axial, Traxxas 5318x links for the upper rears to clock the rear axle and clocked the front axle and ended up using the bumper posts for the front uppers. I flipped the rear C's and did a lock out mod to them. I put on new AX10 front C's and put the steering rods on the inside holes. While I had the axles apart I put in some AX10 stub axles.

Rest of specs
Integy 55T with stock 12T pinions
Tekin FXR
Hitec 5955 servo
CC BEC
ThunderPower 1320 3C lipo
F/R dig with micro switch
Eritex wheels from my GC2

Well, this thing flat out crawls. Even with stock shocks and chassis, I was able to pull many lines I could not do with my GC2. Everything I have tried has to be relooked at. This thing climbs verticals with ease and sidehills better than any rig I have owned.

The wheelspeed is about perfect, IMO, with the Integy 55T's. The "clod stall" was slightly apparent but was never a hinderance, in fact I would say it was beneficial. It is like having a "natural" dig. Speaking of dig, electronic dig is the best. No matter where you are or how bound up you are, it digs. That is HUGE.

My first hop up is going to be some narrower beadlocks. Not sure what to get. I really like the VP Dirty Harry's, but not sure I want to spend the coin on them. I have a question on people running other chassis designs. I guess I am wondering how many drove the stock chassis? I really can't find a fault with how it drove today. I will probably make a delrin skid, but other than that, it drove incredible.

On to the pics.

Rear lock out. I will trim more off the old arm later.

Pic of front with new C's and relocated steering. Front tie rod is 5/16" delrin.

Pic of clocked front axle.

Pic of layout. I have a MM in this pic, but put in the Tekin.

Let me know what you guys think.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Ok so what kind of deal do you have for me on your old rig?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Mic
Rock Crawler

I ran the stock chassis for a while. The way I clocked my rear axle with the longer links changed the shock angle to much. I switched to a Zero, and run full droop stock shocks with the shock bodies more vertical. The derlin skid is a plus as well. I could have added a piece to get the same effect but I like the way the setup looked on the Zero. You are right it is hard to compare the shafties with these trucks.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
I put on new AX10 front C's and put the steering rods on the inside holes.
Hey man, looks great. I have a similarly setup rig.

I think the stock chassis is decent if you change the links out so there is less slop. I had a question about your new AX10 C's. Did you put plastic AX-10 C's? Or are they aftermarket aluminium? Just wondering. I have some rCP crawler C's but they look pretty similar to the bergs. I juut had the dreaded panther tire wrap around the c happen to me at Hyde Park with stock offset rims so I know once I get my mayhems that they will do it again.

Thanks!

Last edited by v10king; 07-05-2008 at 09:31 PM.
v10king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks good Casey !!

I'll let you know how my FXR drag brake works today.
THAT1GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
RCC Addict

v10king....I used aluminum C's from STRC.

Joe....let me know how well your drag brakes work.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Looking good Casey.

Any pics of how you clocked your axles?
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I wouldn't tell you Kevin!

I don't have any step by step pics, but do have some pics of the final clocking. For the front I just followed the thread OCM Axle Clocking
For the rears I just put on Traxxas 5318x upper links that I had sitting around.

Let me know what pics you want.

I hear that you got one, too. Should be an interesting fall season.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Well, I did some minor updating. I put in a JR 8711 servo, put the FXR, micro receiver, dig servo and dig switches in a RS 3x2x1 project box (real tight fit in the smaller project box) and put that on the chassis skid. It barely fits between the links....it is perfect.

The rig ran great at the comp today. I think I placed in top 3 in 2.2 and took 1st in super with it. It is unreal how nice this rig works. I may pick up a 2nd one just to run the super courses with and lengthen the wheelbase to about 14" and run Axial offset rims.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Here are a couple pics of the small project box stuffed in the stock chassis. It is a tight fit, but it all fit. I left the BEC out to keep it cool. I run the Tekin FXR, Spektrum micro receiver, Spektrum micro servo from a DX6 and the Radio Shack switches.

Shots of outside of chassis.

Shots from top of chassis.

Pic of the inside of the project box. It is 10lbs of crap in a 1lb bag.

Here is a pic showing the screws holding the switches in. They are 2.5mm threads. The set screws I had laying around and used because I thought the screw heads might hit the chassis.

I am really loving the stock chassis still. I used Robb's (I think it was him) set up for the stock shocks with 1/4" internal limiting and 3/4" external limiting using fuel tubing.

I just love this rig.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Nice truck, I like the project box Idea, any issues with the FX-R getting warm with no airflow?

I tried the stock chassis, but since I run full droop unless I limited the shocks it would allow the shocks to rotate below parallel and droop right to the ground
Miller Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #12
RCC Addict

No issues with the FXR getting warm. Running 3 cell lipo and I ran it about 6 hours last weekend, over 2 hours straight with not a single issue.