Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: EP's Reign RC Cheater Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
MODERATOR™

Default EP's Reign RC Cheater Truck

Firstly, this thing wouldn't be if it weren't for a few of my friends. The one and only Crawler Store, MaxAmps, Tekin, Reign RC, and lastly Panther. Thank you very much everyone.

I built it so I could bring a gun to a gun fight. I had been successfully using an Axial AX10 to compete for the most of the year, but as the entry list for Battle Grounds grew larger with some names I was a little concerned about, I decided to ditch the knife I was using and jump on the cheater bandwagon.

So, as you can see, it's a drooper. Not my style, but I was working with what I had and the combo of parts worked very well together, so I tried it (again). Those are old TXT shocks with springs from a Hi Lift kit. I modded them with a ball end on the top. 40 weight oil I think.

Panther tires mounted on the best wheels in the freaking world, Vanquish Products' Revolver - DH Pro Comp Six Shooter Supertastic Kick Assers. Beautiful pieces of art that I am NOT enjoying scraping on the rocks, but they work perfectly. I've got some uh... softer than usual tires and found a great foam set up. I use the stock Panther memory foam, then add a half of an Axial foam to the outside. I used to think the Northwest Traction Tech Hybrid Squatters were the best I tried, well... until now. I'll say it's likely due to the weight of this truck that those NWT foams just didn't cut it on the sidehills.

That's an Airtronics 361 servo, and one of the Berg kit upper links with Axial ballends as a link. The Castle BEC sends 6.5 volts to that and it works pretty good. I've always been a fan of these servos, so I keep using them. Tiny Spektrum receiver is strapped to the upper link.

Front axle isn't clocked.

The rear axle isn't clocked, but the links are mounted in a different hole which rotated it back, and that got the motor out of harms way for the most part.

Some of the Fubar rear lock outs are on order. Thankfully.

I mounted all the links and shocks to the inside of the axle mounts. Some nice angles there...

Yeah, the motors are a little beat. They're Integy 65 turns. Thinking about Holmes' Handwounds...

Pretty much nothing is above the top of tires. Maybe the ESC capacitor, and the tippy top of the chassis...

At rest there is exactly 2 1/2 inches of ground clearance. Fully drooper'd, it has 3 5/8 underneath.

Simple one switch dig. Little Hitec servo, and that Radio Shack switch. That and the Tekin FXR is just velcroed to the top of a MaxAmps 3 cell 1100 mah Lipo. With the 65 turn motors, I think it's a great combo, and fast enough. The two 65 turns in parallel on 3 cells pretty much stays in the Tekin recommended safe zone of 3S/35 turns and up. The built in temp monitor on the Tekin only goes up to #4.

The battery is just velcroed to the chassis. It's a big velcro sandwich in there, but everything stays put.

And finally! Team Natty Ice beer can flex shot. Beautiful baby!

This truck plain. kicks. ass. It's very easy to drive, and once I learned the limits (very high limits at that) and how it reacts it's easily the best comp truck I've ever had. And the thing is damn near indestructible as many of you know. I replaced all the outer axles with Axial outers after I bent three of the stockers and so far so good.

And what did this gun get me at the Battle Grounds event? A third place finish. Not too bad for slapping together a cheater.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Adilynsdad too!

cool build...

What's your width?
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Thanks BD. The Axial outer foam slice kinda, a little tiny bit pull the tires outward, and gets me out to 10 3/4". I was a little worried about that as my AX10 was substantially skinnier. It's not proven to be a problem.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
support@rc4wd.com

Finally the secret is out
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looking good, I have a really bad habit of sweating all the small detail on my rig, every thing needs to be "perfect". I need to quit being so anal and picky, build the damn thing and drive it!

Thanks for the inspiration Eeep, show again that it's 90% driver and 10% rig!

Congrats on your finish!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Good looking rig dude! Feel good to have DIG again?!?!?

Maybe one of these days I post up a build of my cheater truck.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Nice rig. I am really digging my droop Berg.

Nice wheels also!
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Im Brandon

Nice rig! Cant beat em, join em right?
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

cheater na very nice.
Georgerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

This truck worked very good at BG. The wheels do kick ass. I just ordered a set. I am working on some video that includes this rig on the finals course. That first climb was sick!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
varcor.org

nice cheater right ep... join the whole cheater family!!!
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i saw this truck getting whooped on ,it looked like he was trying to bust it , one tuff rig
tat2INDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

yeah quite a display you put on on course #2 (i think) the one in the middle when you jumped ahead of use. you spanked that course in minutes!!

that truck works great.
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #14
Say hello to my dactylion

Oh very nice...
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Looks good Cory. I can't believe that you actually put the dig on it....BTW nice wheels

oh yeah Cory...where can I get some friends like yours :grin:

Last edited by jcnalley; 07-21-2008 at 09:56 PM.
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #16
'08 2.2 National Champ

Nice I love my cheater rig too Between dig and bergs there's alot of cheating going on
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #17
MODERATOR™

Hey thanks guys. I see I didn't put up any pictures of it with the body... I'll do that later.

Cheater trucks! Yay!

Dez, I'm a little like you in the detail orientedness, and intended to go back and get everything all perfect. Meh, it works good as it is, so I'll leave it as long as I can stand it. Lazy me.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #18
RCC Addict

With all these badass Berg's you guys are making it harder to resist. EeePee, sweet rig and good luck at the Nationals.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #19
tjb
Rock Crawler

Nice rig, and pics EP. But watching you put this through it's paces on the Finals course Sunday in person was plain awesome...

Great meeting you, and Congrats on the Podium finish
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #20
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Nice cheater truck. The counter top spot next to the sink must be a favorite place for you to photograph your rigs. Your old J2-TT was photographed there. I remember because I cloned your truck and downloaded the photos of it for reference.

It's nice to know everything is working good with 6.5 Volts. Did you have to run the Spektrum capacitor?

You mentioned weight but didn't say how much, so... how much does it weigh?
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote