Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Lower turn motor up front

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #1

Default Lower turn motor up front

Had my Berg running for all about 4 hours....

Anyway the shop didnt have two identical motors, so I figured motors are cheap so I got a 45 and a 55 to get me running and stuck the 45 up front. I figured it wouldnt really make any difference and because I have never run it with two identical motors (the 4 hour thing) I really carnt tell.

But anyway, I have been thinking...

With a lower turn motor motor up front the amount of throttle you need on a crawling ledge to get the rear tyres to start to turn will be less. Meaning that when you got the front up on top of a ledge and they are turning over and the rears are stalled with the higher torque motor in the rear you will get less front wheelspeed before you can get the rear tyres to start to crawl.

So it should make it crawl better cause you can crawl slower with less front tyre slippage...

Got a 35 turn as well...I should throw that up there to see what happens...but with the 4 hour thing Ill probably leave it there for a while and just wheel it.

But anyway..like I said...just thinking...may be worth while.

Sam
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #2

And remember, a lower turn motor needs more throttle input to drive at a given load. Or for a given throttle input it drives at a lower torque than a high turn motor.

This is the effect I am believing is worthwhile.

...now it the front tyres are spinning relatively freely the high turn motor up front will actually make them spin faster meaning that if you are crawling with no tyre slip and the front breaks free the high turn motor up front will probably make the fronts spin faster...but because of the

Generally when on "crawling" ledges with these things (4 hours expriencs in the dark up to 11.30pm at night) when you get front tyre slip on a ledge you play around with the front till you get it planted and them bring the rear up.

On somehting when you carnt get the front planted you just snap the throttle a bit and I dont think any of this matters.

Sam
Old 08-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I would think on a steep ledge or overhang, you would want the front to ingage first so as to not flip you over backwards. If the front grips and pulls first there is less chance of the rig ending up on it's lid.
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEW View Post
I would think on a steep ledge or overhang, you would want the front to ingage first so as to not flip you over backwards. If the front grips and pulls first there is less chance of the rig ending up on it's lid.
nice stew you got it.
maro69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You might want to do some reading in the clod section......the motor on axle is nothing new in crawling. There are years of research in there.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEW View Post

It still does this exactly the same way, the front still pulls first..Its just that the torque bias is different.

To look at the way my berg drives it behaves exactly the same way as a few clods that my friends have.

It just that I think that running different turn motors may be an advantage cause on steep climbs teh rear has much more grip and can handle more torque...so why not give it more torque than the front with a high turn motor. May make it better overall?

Sam
Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
You might want to do some reading in the clod section......the motor on axle is nothing new in crawling. There are years of research in there.
So is running different turn motors front and rear normal in clods...I didnt know that.

I guess I should have alook at teh clod section.

Sam
Old 08-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

For those wanting different turns most use different sized pinions rather than different sized motors.

Before going dual ESC I ran 6/7 pinions.
SMR4RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
Keep it real

I've got a 13T in the front, and a 12T in the rear of my Berg right now
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Ah! On the Berg I have 30 turn running 13/12 as well.

Last edited by SMR4RUNNER; 08-05-2008 at 07:23 PM.
SMR4RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Rover View Post
So is running different turn motors front and rear normal in clods...I didnt know that.

I guess I should have alook at teh clod section.

Sam
Different turn motors in Clods isn't as common as different pinion gears front to rear. Usually with a higher tooth count in the front.
Shorty40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR4RUNNER View Post
Ah! On the Berg I have 30 turn running 13/12 as well.
Mike, you got me on motors(I have Holmes 35T's)but I got you on voltage....4cell lipo baby
Old 08-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
I've got a 13T in the front, and a 12T in the rear of my Berg right now
How's that workin for ya. I have the pinions and have not tried em yet, still runnin just 12's.
raul duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Rover View Post
Had my Berg running for all about 4 hours....

Anyway the shop didnt have two identical motors, so I figured motors are cheap so I got a 45 and a 55 to get me running and stuck the 45 up front. I figured it wouldnt really make any difference and because I have never run it with two identical motors (the 4 hour thing) I really carnt tell.

But anyway, I have been thinking...

With a lower turn motor motor up front the amount of throttle you need on a crawling ledge to get the rear tyres to start to turn will be less. Meaning that when you got the front up on top of a ledge and they are turning over and the rears are stalled with the higher torque motor in the rear you will get less front wheelspeed before you can get the rear tyres to start to crawl.

So it should make it crawl better cause you can crawl slower with less front tyre slippage...

Got a 35 turn as well...I should throw that up there to see what happens...but with the 4 hour thing Ill probably leave it there for a while and just wheel it.

But anyway..like I said...just thinking...may be worth while.

Sam
Same theory I used back in '05 when I started running mismatched pinions in my Clods. I always found it to help to run one tooth bigger pinion up front. This would reduce the amount of front axle spin when climbing steep inclines and ledges.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #15

I understand the physics, just don't know where to buy different pinions for my Berg axles.
side-burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #16
Keep it real

Here is where I picked mine up from, just make sure they are the metric 48pitch ones
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&C=CLCRRP&P=SM
Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Here is where I picked mine up from, just make sure they are the metric 48pitch ones
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&C=CLCRRP&P=SM
Awesome, thanks! Think I'll order a couple 12/13T sets...
side-burn is offline   Reply With Quote