Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: TCS Chassis'd Berg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TCS Chassis'd Berg

Been working on this for quite a while now and finally got it running last night so I figured I'd go ahead and post up a build thread. Tried to do a couple things different but used a few tricks from everyone elses builds. All the info you guys have provided on here has been a great help.

Here are the specs.

Axles: Enroute Berg
Chassis: TCS
Shocks: Berg limited
ESC: Mamba Max / w CC BEC
Motors: 55T front and 45T rear
Wheels: Vanquish Pro-Comp
Tires: Panther
Steering Servos: Dual Hitec HSR-5990TG's
TX/RX: Spektrum DX3
Dig Servo: Hitec 65MG
Battery: Maxxamps 2000 3c lipo
Body: HPI Bug

This is going to be my nationals rig so I've got to hurry up and get some testing done on it. The 20 minutes I ran it today it did well. I'm loving this electric dig, so much better than my AX10 dig, so instant with no binding.

When I was trying to figure out a way to mount my electronics and a place for the dig servo, I found an easy solution. I used one of my daily pill boxes to house the dig servo w/switches, ESC, BEC, and RX and it all fits real nicely in the chassis. The entire box is removable via disconnecting the deans plugs and is easily accessible. I was able to keep the flip lids on one and half of the pill boxes to cover the RX and BEC, doesn't look too bad. For the steering servo, I mounted it in a way that I've not yet seen with an OTA setup. I positioned the servo at an angle over the axle and ran a long tie rod over the gearbox. So far it has worked good but I need to upgrade it from brakeline with allthread to solid rod. I also decided to not use rod ends and just ran the rod straight to the AX10 knuckle.
Plan to test it some in the coming week so we'll see how everything does. The first 20 minutes or so has been promising. Right now I'm running the Panthers with two panther foams in each tire in the front and two Aces foams in each in the rear. I've not put air holes in them yet so I can see how it performs first, and then decide. I also need to put the weights in the wheels, gonna try six in the front and three in the rear first, start with that and go from there.

Enough talk, onto the pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by '04 Rubicon; 10-02-2008 at 11:01 AM.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

HAHA..............spent the day building instead of cutting the grass huh?

Flip flop for me, did the chores today to spend tomorrow in the shop.

Good to see what I need to shoot for to beat!!

The rig looks great! The experimental ways of steering a clocked front Berg axle are always fun to see.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
varcor.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
you saw that too... LOL...

mark, i'm surprised, no GC2 chassis? anyways, nice thinking out of the box. hopefully this week i can start the rebuild of mine for nationals...
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Is that BTA steering tie-rod for real
I assume (hope) that is just temporary to hold the wheels strait for setup....... If not I think we need to start a "Scary Steering" section on the forum

Awesome rig otherwise
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugg View Post
I assume (hope) that is just temporary to hold the wheels strait for setup....... If not I think we need to start a "Scary Steering" section on the forum

Awesome rig otherwise
I have beating my brains out on a steering system myself. I imagined something similar. Keep us posted on how that baby works.

"Scary steering" sounds like a cool thread....

Ben
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Good to see what I need to shoot for to beat!!

The rig looks great! The experimental ways of steering a clocked front Berg axle are always fun to see.
I'll get to the grass soon enough. Crawler comes first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swell searcher View Post
mark, i'm surprised, no GC2 chassis? anyways, nice thinking out of the box. hopefully this week i can start the rebuild of mine for nationals...
I didn't want to use the GC2 cuz I didn't want to disassemble anything on it so I can still drive it. You better hurry for nationals, I don't like starting this late, but hopefully I can find the time to test it some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugg View Post
Awesome rig otherwise
The brakeline tie rod is temporary until I can bend some thicker stainless steel rod. Why do you think it's so scary? It turns the truck well enough, and the SS should be strong enough. Only testing will tell. Thanks. though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
I have beating my brains out on a steering system myself. I imagined something similar. Keep us posted on how that baby works.

"Scary steering" sounds like a cool thread....
Ben
I messed with this thing way too much and finally decided on this setup for testing. I will keep you updated on how well it holds up.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default Two Servos are better than one

Couldn't help myself. I had to try it. I've wanted to try this for a while but with my AX10 I always ran the battery on the front axle and couldn't fit two servos. I've mounted two Hitec HSR5990TG servos on the front axle, one for each wheel. The initial tests seem like it may work well, I took it on my rockpile in the yard for about 5 minutes with good results and then my DX3 started dying but the servos definitely turns the wheels with lots of power. It seems to get more steering too since there is no limit on the throw from the long tie rod. I used a Y-Harness Reverser to help dial in the second servo but it still took a lot of trial an error to get the swings working right. But so far it looks like it may work.

I did a bit of cleaning up as well with the wiring for a cleaner look. This pill box electronics box is working out nice. It comes out completely and houses all the electronics and the dig switch. Just unplug the deans plugs and servo plug and it is completely removable on it's own. I'm thinking of making another one with my other electronics for a backup unit for nationals. It's just so easy to swap out. I didn't take pictures of it out yet but can if anyone is interested.

I also shot a very quick first time testing video inside the house to show how it works. It's uploading now so I'll post again once it's ready. I plan on some real rock testing this Wednesday, I hope it goes well because I'm loving 400+oz.in to each wheel.

Pics
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

holy dooly!! I've thought about it but i was going to use two smaller servo's with about 1/2 the torque of those, It looks busy up there.
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Default Dual Servo Steering Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
I also shot a very quick first time testing video inside the house to show how it works. It's uploading now so I'll post again once it's ready.
Vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN_20u4vJGs
Old 08-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

That thing looks sick, nice job on the steering

Mayhem Eng.
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Looks like it might 'just' be strong enough :-P
Shorty40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:14 AM   #12

Sick steering setup. Two servo horns should take a much longer beating than one.
victionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Default Funtion & Durability Test. Round 1 - 'Beat a Berg'

Wanted to test my dual servo steering setup before taking on some real courses and it failing immediately after driving out there. Made this short vid and turns out, I think it might be ok. Also a good demonstration of the durability of these Berg axles, they are pretty darn tough.

Check out this video and see what you think - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frnSdhBrOT8.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Awesome, I knew the dual steering servo setup would work well. It works well in my planes with that same setup, you wont beable to get a stronger steering setup then what you have their.

So cool,

I need to finally do that.
KenDobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Took the Berg out to one of our local comp locations for some real rock testing. The setup performed very well. I was able to make some climbs that I've never made as easily before, sidehills pretty well too. I am very pleased with it so far. This was my first time running with Panthers and they grab the rock nicely. I think my foam setup helps with it very much, especially since I put two breather holes in them, however I'm thinking of putting two more in each tire.

I am also in the middle of rearranging my electronics and battery. I hope to soon have all electronics inside the chassis with nothing sticking up above it like it is now. The 1100 mAh or 2000 mAh maxxamps batteries will fit on my front upper links and should not cause any problems, allowing everything else to fit inside. I also have a trick method for housing and mounting an electronic dig unit that I hope to share as well.

Anyway, here are a couple pics and here's the latest vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTAVMQKZE5I
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #16
varcor.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
I also have a trick method for housing and mounting an electronic dig unit that I hope to share as well.
do tell!!!
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Default Cheap Dig Unit Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by swell searcher View Post
do tell!!!
Maybe not so much trick, but cheap. Bought a mini blind mounting bracket from Lowes for 97 cents that is made of strong plastic and houses my switch setup perfectly.

The pictures show how the switches are mounted on the servo and is wired. I used velcro to attach the switches for two reason, to hold the switches more secure and to help make the whole unit fit tighter, you'll see what I mean in the pics. This unit fits securely into the mini blind bracket and even allows one side to open for easy access to the wiring. The other bonus is all the wholes and slots on the bracket. It even has recessed holes on one side in the inside to mount it if needed.

All I could get are these pics of it out of my rig real quick. I'm leaving now for the weekend so didn't want to leave you hanging with no response. But you can see that it can basically be mounted almost anywhere. I know in the TCS chassis I can fit my entire eleictrical system as pictured below completely inside the chassis, but only when I mount my lipo on the front.

Many pics
Attached Images

Last edited by '04 Rubicon; 08-17-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Took the Berg with me this weekend and did a little more crawling on some riff raff until I lost a shock spring holder. Gonna have to switch to another kind on the rear unless anyone has a spare berg gold one laying around I could get. The truck performed good, considering the kind of rocks I was on.

I did notice a possible issue with my right wheel servo. It wanted to change it's center position moving as though it were turning left after a few minutes of crawling. I'm sure it has to do with the Reverse Y-Harness, possibly getting knocked around while crawling. I've never used a Y-Harness like this before and the screw that sets the center on the servo is super sensitive. I'm using the Expert Electronics brand. Have any of you ever run one of these on a Super maybe and incurred this problem? I know I could crack it open and rewire the inside but 1)Not sure I trust my soldering on a $120 servo, and 2)Not sure how to set the center afterwards so that it's adustable separately from the other wheel. I read somewhere that overheating could cause a reverser to go off-center but didn't think mine got that hot. Maybe some of you guys that fly planes know more about this stuff to, any ideas?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Default Smart Fly Equalizer II

Did some more research and found something that may help my servo issue above. This allows centering, EPA, and reversing to be set for each servo independently. Anyone have any experience with one of these - http://www.smart-fly.com/Products/Eq...equalizer.htm? I assume they are reliable since they are used in planes. All help appreciated.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I think you have way too much time on your hands. By the way what foam setup are you using? Looks good
Chargerguy is offline   Reply With Quote