Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: How Good is the Berg Chassis??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default How Good is the Berg Chassis??

It seems like the kit is more readily available that just the axles. How good IS the Berg chassis?? Wheels?? Shocks?? I'd like to start a Berg build.........soon
FL Knifemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

well i do not have a berg but two people that i crawl with use the shocks and chassis. the wheels i think the ofset is to big or somthing i might be wrong on the wheels.
Georgerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The Berg shocks work well after limiting them some. The beadlocks are 'ok' for other builds (I think they are the right offset for AX10 axles) but are too wide for the Berg axles and the ring bolts are two small and can shear off. I've not used the chassis to comment on it but I'm sure others have.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
RCC Addict

the berg chassis and shocks work fine IMO. I have mine setup with some tweaks and it performed great at the last comp.

custom skid, extended the stock links just a shade to sit right at 12.5" wb, made some different upper links ....

I would just change the wheels
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

ive never seen the stock berg chassis in person bu i sure as hell love my Ti blackjack!
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
ive never seen the stock berg chassis in person bu i sure as hell love my Ti blackjack!
Way to throw that plug in there. :-P
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I run a stock berg and love it. That being said its my first crawler so i'm probably not the best source. You may want to dig up joebruiser's berg build thread . I believe he ran it in a near stock form for quite a while with great success. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, I think a stock berg (with micro dig) placed in the east coast regional comp earlier this year when bergs were just becoming a force.
RCbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
20K Club

The stock chassis is pretty decent, wheels are pretty much the only MUST.

I would say that chassis' like the BJ are not the best choice for a Berg. They just don't take full advantages of the Berg. You can use so much longer links and get a suspension that works so much better. I built mine first with a chassis similar to the BJ or SW3 but then realized that I wasn't taking full advantage.

The chassis I designed for TCS uses equal length upper and lowers and they almost touch in the center to give you much longer links. This is just my opinion but I have done quite a bit of suspension modeling to try and back it up.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I would say that chassis' like the BJ are not the best choice for a Berg.
I would agree that longer lowers would be better but I have been running mine with no issues. Skid plate and lower links can be changed easily.

I run a 60/40 on mine and it has been working very well so far.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
Yes you have.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
I would agree that longer lowers would be better but I have been running mine with no issues. Skid plate and lower links can be changed easily.

I run a 60/40 on mine and it has been working very well so far.
I by no means think that there would be any issues. It would run just like any other rig. But by taking advantage of longer lower AND uppers you can raise your ground clearance but still have a great performing suspension. Even if you leave your ground clearance the same as you would with a shafty you will still have a suspension that has the possibilities to perform better. Again, just an opinion. Maybe I will try and post some suspension modeling videos to try and show what I have been experiencing.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Ya'all! I'm going to get the kit, build and upgrade it as time permits. After our Florida get together, I couldn't be happier with our Axial based crawler, now my son and I need a second one! We have a TON of extra parts from our Axial an other RC cars. At some point, I'll whip up a titanium frame of my own design. I just need more experience to base the design on
Old 08-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

harley... i agree, longer links would be better. back when i ran a j2-tt chassis i loved running long revo rods on the lowers and the suspension worked very well. ive been staring at that j2 sitting in a box under my workbench. im thinking about narrowing it down with a blackjack skid plate and giving it a try.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I extended each lower link with one 3mm nut and it works great. no extra money involved . good and cheap until my zero gets here
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I went off a couple of stock builds on here for my stocker. I just limited the shocks some, put on different links that I had sitting around. I love the performance of the stock chassis and shocks. It performed great in every situation. I put over 12 hours on it in one weekend and just love the way it handled. That being said (and the fact that I can never leave anything alone) I did put my GC2 chassis on it to try. I will be testing that this weekend to see the difference. I know I have less flex, but cannot tell yet if the overall performance is improved.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
I will be testing that this weekend to see the difference.
Hey Casey post up what day if your thinking about Taylors Falls I'll see if we can join you.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Guys, we all know the Zero is the best berg chassis out there. You will see in a few weeks......
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:44 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Hey ya'll, new guy here... How do you think the new XTM crawler will compare to the Berg settup?
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145632.asp
NitroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:17 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroX View Post
Hey ya'll, new guy here... How do you think the new XTM crawler will compare to the Berg settup?
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145632.asp

I don't like how the shocks mount to those blocks on the lower links. Those things will hang up on everything :-( I'd be wanting to change that ASAP
Old 08-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Guys, we all know the Zero is the best berg chassis out there. You will see in a few weeks......