Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Harley's Ultimate Dig Setup - 4PK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
20K Club

Default Harley's Ultimate Dig Setup - 4PK

Like many of you I am stick radio challenged. I first built my OCM with two ESC’s and a DX6i. However I quickly learned that when it comes to using a stick radio I have the coordination of a baby rhino. So out came my second ESC and in went my DX3R.

I went the very popular micro switch style dig, and I decided to set it up for front and rear dig. Once I got used to the setup I fell in love with rear dig just like I had with front dig in my shafty 2.2’s previously. This is where I ran into a dilemma. I would say that I use the free wheel position in my shaftys about as often as I use the lock position.

Well like all of you that have set this up similarly to mine you have to make a decision:
  • Do I dead short the motors to gain a true lock of the wheels
Or
  • Do I leave it open and try and use the drag of the motor to act as my lock when I need it.
I have found that my driving style isn’t conducive to the latter, but I don’t feel I can live without the free wheel position. So know what do I do? I don’t have enough channels to add a second switch but I can’t drive a stick radio either.

ENTER Futaba 4PK!

Finally a 4 channel pistol grip radio that doesn’t use crystals, won’t burn up receivers and has more options then you can shake a stick at.

This radio is absolutely perfect for me to install my ultimate dig setup. All that is required is that I add a second micro switch and connect the wire to it that will allow me to dead short the motors when I please for a TRUE lock. The 3rd and 4th channels can be programmed to be on multiple buttons (much like the DX3R) and conveniently there are two roller switches right by my left thumb (for right handed people) that will work perfectly.

Some quick pictures. I have been working with the awesome people over at Futaba/Great Planes for months now trying to bring this to fruition and all the work on both of our ends has paid off. A huge thanks has to go out to Jason, thanks for all your hard work especially. I have been reading the manual thoroughly and everything seems very user friendly.

FINALLY a backlight!!!!!

More on the radio and the functions most useful to us as soon as it hits my doorstep!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
20K Club

Oh yeah, my favorite picture in the manual

Old 08-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Old guy

Something don't look right. How much is one of these radios going to go for. User friendly great , but is it wallet friendly.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
Something don't look right. How much is one of these radios going to go for. User friendly great , but is it wallet friendly.
That is always an issue when wanting the best, a radio is just another one of those things you have to decide on

I will get the list price here shortly.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Old guy

Harley, on this dead shorting of the motor. I got it set up front and rear dig, free wheelin on both. I try to dead short it ,but must be doing something wrong. It only works as long as it takes to burn the wire up.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
Amain has them for $499 - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17916

Ultimate Hobbies seems to be the cheapest again. $465 - http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...=FUTK4900!1001

I will be watching to see how this turns out. We all need a good pistol with more than three channels. Where's the 6 channel pistol at?
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
I will be watching to see how this turns out. We all need a good pistol with more than three channels. Where's the 6 channel pistol at?
I think with a 3rd and 4th channel with up to 200 positions each, it will keep me plenty busy maybe I can lend my wife a couple positions.......you know for her rig...............
Old 08-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

What I am missing something here, nomadio has had there pistol grip radio out for a least 1 1/2 years and it's 4 channel, and you can program any thing you want, the sensor and the react both are 4 channel radios. Granted the back light on the react sucks, but it works???
jl_907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looking good ASSHOLE!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i use a nomadio sensor and with esc's i have front and rear dig, 4 channel pistol is the way to go
tat2INDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_ak View Post
What I am missing something here, nomadio has had there pistol grip radio out for a least 1 1/2 years and it's 4 channel, and you can program any thing you want, the sensor and the react both are 4 channel radios. Granted the back light on the react sucks, but it works???
Those radios are notorious for burning up recievers. I wouldn't even consider owning one after seeing the amount of problems people have had. Again this MY ultimate setup, not going to be for everyone.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Finally a 4 channel pistol grip radio that won’t burn up receivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_ak View Post
What I am missing something here, nomadio has had there pistol grip radio out for a least 1 1/2 years and it's 4 channel
He was referring to the Nomadio when he said it won't burn up receivers...

The React is terrible for burning up the 4 channel transceivers

edit: too slow...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
RCC Addict

This I feel is the best radio out. I had the 3pk and loved it. When my LHS got these in I was totally stoked on how comfortable the Tx is . I think it only weighs in at 1.7 lbs. Futaba is one good company. I feel I have to buy more crawlers to make the Tx feel love.
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Those radios are notorious for burning up recievers. I wouldn't even consider owning one after seeing the amount of problems people have had. Again this MY ultimate setup, not going to be for everyone.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones I haven't burned any of mine up yet, I have had good luck with mine, also I didn't mean to start a flame thread here.
jl_907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #15

Harley, is there anything different about your radio than what was initially released? I just picked one up at my LHS and am loving it so far!
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:12 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Erectronic haha

At least now I know I have an option if my REACT dies :-)
Shorty40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #17
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
Harley, is there anything different about your radio than what was initially released? I just picked one up at my LHS and am loving it so far!
Nope, its the same as everyone elses.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:

Futaba has had there share of problems lately, too. Don't see too many FASST systems at the tracks or the air fields because of the receivers overheating.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Nope, its the same as everyone elses.
Thanks Harley. Have you decided what case you are going to use yet? I have not found a suitable fitted case for it yet. I've found some gun cases, but finding one with enough depth is a little tricky. With the APA attached the width of the radio is nearly 6".
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
Futaba has had there share of problems lately, too. Don't see too many FASST systems at the tracks or the air fields because of the receivers overheating.
Futaba also has a problem with interferance from other fasst radios.

2 guys in our club can't run at the same time with thir futaba 2.4 radios. Futaba says they need to send them both back. What a bunch of BS!

Good luck with yours.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote