Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: berg?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #1

Question berg?

well i feel i made a mistake i bought a ax10 when i didnt even know there was such a think as berg please tell me the the avantages of the berg over the axial?
wanttocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

dig systems are MUCH easier to setup. a servo and a switch vs a servo and a custom made drive line or dig gearbox added onto the transmission.

axle stall. also referred to as "clod stall" some hate it, i love it. the rear axle will stall when the front end hits a vertical ledge. rather than spinning and possibly putting the truck in a bad position by sliding sideways or digging into the dirt, the rear axle will just hold forward pressure on the front axle keeping the front end biting and getting traction.

torque twist. what torque twist?
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Mic
Rock Crawler

You will have fun with your Axial. But the Bergs are head and shoulders better preformers in just about every situations. The more time I have on mine the wider the gap has gotten. Top reasons. Electric DIG (front and rear if you want it), much lower COG, Berg stall is an advantage and they are very strong.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I agree with all of that.

But there are a few good things about the shafty's. (Cant believe I said that)

I have noticed that in some places, the slow wheel speed and full time 4wd will get traction before a berg will.

When you lock the rear end, its locked and will not let the rear rotate at all unlike a berg. I was told that you can tighten up the pinion gear on the rear to get more drag with the bergs but I have not tried it yet.

Weight. You only need 1 motor on a shafty.

I know there is more........

If you get a shafty set up right, you can compete with them. But I personally like the fact that you have rear dig with the bergs.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have noticed that in some places, the slow wheel speed and full time 4wd will get traction before a berg will.
yep i have noticed the same thing. but he's right, a well dialed shafty will compete with the bergs.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
yep i have noticed the same thing. but he's right, a well dialed shafty will compete with the bergs.
Unless the guy with the berg knows what he is doing with it. If you try to drive it like a shafty its not gonna work.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Unless the guy with the berg knows what he is doing with it. If you try to drive it like a shafty its not gonna work.
I have only had my "Rent-a-Berg" for a week.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:41 AM   #8

i like the berg setup better ive gone all out on my axial it performs well but i think id lie a berg better
wanttocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I too bought an axial before I knew of a berg. I think the berg is a killer deal in comparison. Everything on the berg is aluminum or s.s., and the axial has a lot of plastic, especially the rtr one. I have both, and I feel very fortunate, but I have a feeling the berg is going to outperform my axial. It is already much 'tougher', now I am evaluating the abilities.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I know the Bergs have some huge advantages in competition over shaft driven trucks. But I'm undecided if I will build one.
It's taken me a year to develop a shafty that I think preforms well and I enjoy.
I think if your going to stay at the highest level of competitive equipment your going to have to jump on the shaft less band wagon. The Nationals will be very interesting in a few weeks and I'll wait to see what the finishing order tells us.
I'm also not convinced that the Berg axle will be the best axle theres a good possibility that the axles that will join this movement might be better.
I started doing this to hang out and have fun I'm not that concerned about where I finish in comps it's more about fun and enjoyment.
If your super competitive you'd better bring lots of money because nothing stays the same very long around here.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Very well stated Stormin2u.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I don't really know anything but shafty rigs. I've built 4 clods and never driven any of them enough to learn anything from it.