Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: berg 2.2, how good is it out of the box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default berg 2.2, how good is it out of the box

i have been reading the threads for days but only found one that wasent modded out of the box. how good is it out of the box, does it need alot of weights in the tires like the pti and the ax 10 to be competitive or is it like all the rest as the axles and links get caught on the rocks. i want to get one but i just dont want to sink another 1000 bucks into a 2.2 dud .
thanks guys
jombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
'08 2.2 National Champ

Build it as they say and its really not that good. There is some stuff in the kit that is alright but as you look at the build threads here you can see that pretty much everyone has changed everything but the axles.

The Axial Comp Spec is better out of the box, but with some work and $ the berg will be much, much better.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

EVERY rig you buy, you going ot have to change things to make it keep up with comps. You are NOT going to get one outta the box that can win comps, just isnt going to happen. Suspension changes, wheel weights, all that is going to happen no matter what, a $1000 on a 2.2 dud only happens to the ppl that dont read the info in here before they spend the money (like me in the beginning,lol). I dont have a berg yet, its in the works, but everything you are asking about directly, thats EVERY RC Rock crawler, no matter who makes or built it, is going to have changes made to run comps and be seriosuly competative. Noobs complain about what you pointed out, the lifer's, if they actually complain and not just modify because "I ran into this problem, this is what I did to fix it", then it might be worth paying attention too. Wheel weights and axles hanging up IS PART OF THIS, EVERY RIG get changes like that made, if the axles hang up, then you need to practice driving your lines more.
Mav-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
i have been reading the threads for days but only found one that wasent modded out of the box. how good is it out of the box, does it need alot of weights in the tires like the pti and the ax 10 to be competitive or is it like all the rest as the axles and links get caught on the rocks. i want to get one but i just dont want to sink another 1000 bucks into a 2.2 dud .
thanks guys
change the wheels for some berg offset wheels that can be found in the vendors section

I extended one end of each link with a single 3mm nut. Then i just bent them for some high clearance links. My wheelbase is a 1/16 short of 12.5"

Made a custom delrin skid but the stock will work okay if you dont want to spend money/time on making one

limit the shocks with some fuel tubing (internally)

I also made some extensions to stand the front shocks up a little more but it will work fine if you dont

you can see the first pic of my dig setup. since the kit included two skids, i took one and just made the slot a little longer and a hitec-81mg servo fit perfect

some people say upgrade to aftermarket chassis but if you dont have the money to spend then this is a good way to go. My truck will hang with most other bergs in SERCRC and I dont have that much invested in it

Last edited by yukon635; 08-31-2008 at 09:40 AM.
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav-1981 View Post
EVERY rig you buy, you going ot have to change things to make it keep up with comps. You are NOT going to get one outta the box that can win comps, just isnt going to happen. I dont have a berg yet, its in the works, but everything you are asking about directly
So even tho you havent built/ran your berg, you say that it sucks with some stock stuff?

Last edited by yukon635; 08-31-2008 at 09:39 AM.
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

so its not , the poster who said it wasent was right then. the reason i asked is i have a clod new in the box and was going to build that up as a 2.2
so i will spend the money that way.
if the berg was competitive out of the box with some small adjustments then it would be a good buy for me , but since i have the clod and need a good chassis and some good esc to go with the dsm i have that would be the way to go
Old 08-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
if the berg was competitive out of the box with some small adjustments then it would be a good buy for me
All the mods mentioned in this thread ARE small adjustments.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Right out of the box, the berg, imho, is much better than the axial crawler. For the money, and for the performance. The Berg has more weight and more articulation to play with, without so much as buying an extra set of springs or wheel weights. The construction is of much higher quality as well. ALL metal vs. a bunch of plastic junk that twists off bends up and all that torque twist?

Don't get me wrong, I have an axial and a berg, but out of the box, I was MUCH happier with my berg purchase.

The shocks need work, and the axles need clocking just for starters on the berg though.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

In its stock configuration, the berg works very well. In fact, I think a near stock berg placed in the big east coast comp earlier this year (forgot the name, I'm from the west). Thats was when bergs were still new and noone had had much time to modify them. The result was/is true testament to the stock kit's capability.

I remember after that competition how peeople were complaining that a stock rig was beating their $1,000+ AX10s.
RCbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Stock Berg works very well. I run stock chassis, bent lower links and stock shocks (limited internally 1/4" and externally 3/4") and love it. I have tried 2 different aftermarket chassis and liked the stock chassis better. Still may try another aftermarket chassis later this fall, but for now it is going back to stock.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbasher View Post
In its stock configuration, the berg works very well. In fact, I think a near stock berg placed in the big east coast comp earlier this year (forgot the name, I'm from the west). Thats was when bergs were still new and noone had had much time to modify them. The result was/is true testament to the stock kit's capability.

I remember after that competition how peeople were complaining that a stock rig was beating their $1,000+ AX10s.

That was my truck. I built it the day before, used most of the stock stuff, but swapped to clod offset rims, and drilled a buch of new link mount holes, and limited the shocks, and had to settle on some stuff due to the time. It did very well, but I know how to tune a truck. This is no sales pitch but the truck I am running now its 3 times as good as the one I had at ECC. The stock berg is good, better than axial, but why settle for good?
I would hardly consider it a stock truck, some stock parts yes, but it was not setup anywhere close to stock.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
That was my truck. I built it the day before, used most of the stock stuff, but swapped to clod offset rims, and drilled a buch of new link mount holes, and limited the shocks, and had to settle on some stuff due to the time. It did very well, but I know how to tune a truck. This is no sales pitch but the truck I am running now its 3 times as good as the one I had at ECC. The stock berg is good, better than axial, but why settle for good?
I would hardly consider it a stock truck, some stock parts yes, but it was not setup anywhere close to stock.
I stand corrected . It's amazing how far the 2.2 class has come in just the last few months. I couldn't be happier that I got a berg, and am looking forward to getting my zero chassis in the near future when I have a enough time to do a full rebuild.

Last edited by RCbasher; 08-31-2008 at 04:12 PM.
RCbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

then maybe keep the clod as a stock truck the way it was intended to be built for the kids and buy a set of berg axles and a new chassis and get her done
thanks guys

Last edited by jombo; 09-01-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: pushed the wrong button