Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: 2 esc's or 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 2 esc's or 1

in the process of setting up my berg and was wondering whats better for clod stall 1 esc with motors wired in parallel or 2 esc's and a y splitter(using a 3 channel pistol with electronic front and rear dig.....can't wrap my head around a stick radio for independat motor control)
thx for the help
Bc Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
RCC Addict

i have a berg with 1 esc and 2 mico switches but i think when i get 1 more esc i will put my dx6 on it
jeepcj578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrocks View Post
in the process of setting up my berg and was wondering whats better for clod stall 1 esc with motors wired in parallel or 2 esc's and a y splitter(using a 3 channel pistol with electronic front and rear dig.....can't wrap my head around a stick radio for independat motor control)
thx for the help
Mine is set up with one esc, 3s lipo, and 12 tooth pinion on the front and a 10 tooth pinion on the rear. This help eliminate most of the clod stall. Clod stall can actually help some times. It can keep you from braking parts. I think the only way to get rid of it 100% would be two esc on separate channels, and a stick radio.
dorji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorji View Post
Mine is set up with one esc, 3s lipo, and 12 tooth pinion on the front and a 10 tooth pinion on the rear. This help eliminate most of the clod stall. Clod stall can actually help some times. It can keep you from braking parts. I think the only way to get rid of it 100% would be two esc on separate channels, and a stick radio.
fourxhondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
Mic
Rock Crawler

Two ESC on the same channel will do the same thing as one ESC in regards to clod stall. You would need to have separate control of each ESC to get rid of clod stall, but why would you want to get rid of it? It really is an asset and not a liability.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
Holmes Hobbies

X2,The only way to reduce clod stall but it won't eliminate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
Two ESC on the same channel will do the same thing as one ESC in regards to clod stall. You would need to have separate control of each ESC to get rid of clod stall, but why would you want to get rid of it? It really is an asset and not a liability.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkelley05 View Post
buy a shafty and use 1 esc.
Shafties will NEVER compete with bergs. (unless you consider the scale likness!! WGAF? if you want to have a scale rig get a 350).

I'm using 2 FX-r's and a DX7 and i think the switch dig and one esc would be as good. Even though i can completely compensate for clod stall with mixes i think a switch dig berg zero would be the most capable 2.2 in the world.
However i won't know that for sure until a team in my country gets some that I can run against.
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

do you guys use the stall effect as a sign when to use the digs?
Bc Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #9

Default it can work

Quote:
thx for the help

I have a berg with two ESCs. If your radio can support dual rate you can drive both ESCs from a single stick and then flick a switch and drive each independently.
toxic_mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:13 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_mammoth View Post
I have a berg with two ESCs. If your radio can support dual rate you can drive both ESCs from a single stick and then flick a switch and drive each independently.
OR
Drive bothe ESC's from a single stick and mix the other stick to offset the drive towards either the front or rear axles. Same result i guess just with out the switch flicking.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
Mic
Rock Crawler

Quote:
do you guys use the stall effect as a sign when to use the digs?
It is like an auto DIG.
In a situation where you are climbing an overhang or shelve the rear will stall and hold pressure and allow the front to climb up and even a little back when needed. Full fwd at that time would make the truck bind or flip over backwards. It works automatically and even better than a fully locked dig or a freewheeling dig could in those situations.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon crawler View Post
Shafties will NEVER compete with bergs. .
Interesting that you say that...

I was recently at my first comp ever, with my newby ax10 rig. Last years national champ was at that same comp with his berg rig. After I got the hang of things running through the first two courses, the third course, I made it just as far as the natty champ. Gate 7, with probably a very similar point count. I would say that was pretty much competing (a shafty with a berg). What would you say?

Interestingly enough, I actually have both, a shafty and a berg, but I don't have enough wheel time to make a good distinction, other than the berg is much more bullet proof.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Like you, I also have both.
I Know for sure that there are gates that i can't drive my ax10 through no matter how hard i try, and I know I can get my berg through.
However I haven't yet been able to find somewhere that my ax10 will go that my berg can't.

Admittedly my berg is set up way better than my axial so in my case it may not be a fair contest. Also if you wanted you could set a course where the berg can't make the most of it's advantages over a shafty and they would appear more equally capable.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I am running just one ESC in my berg. I had read all the 'horror stories' about clod stall before I got my rig together and running; but now that I have it all up and going, I really like the clod stall. It is (in my opinion) advantageous on the steep climbs as some of the people in here have said. Plus, if you start out with just one ESC, you always have the option of going to 2 esc's later on if you don't like how just one performs. That saves you a little $ right off the bat, and you can see what you think. If it's not for you, then pony up for another esc and go that route
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

This statement is completely incorrect and after this coming weekend I will prove it, 2 of the guys in our club run the new berg and both are completely set up and both drivers got a free ride to the Nationals, not only will I compete with them, but I will beat them.
I know, your thinkin, well why didn't you get to go to nationals, late starter, I missed the first three events
Quote:
Shafties will NEVER compete with bergs.
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #16
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
OR
Drive bothe ESC's from a single stick and mix the other stick to offset the drive towards either the front or rear axles. Same result i guess just with out the switch flicking.
How do you have yours setup?.....I am fixing to setup mine with dual ESCs and a DX6i
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I've tried mine both ways, and I think I like dual ESC's better. The stall in a berg is really not bad, I like it even, but I kept frying dig switches. It seemed like I had to replace them every 5 or 6 packs, which is a PITA. Getting used to dual ESC's with a stick radio is some work though...
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #18
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
I've tried mine both ways, and I think I like dual ESC's better. The stall in a berg is really not bad, I like it even, but I kept frying dig switches. It seemed like I had to replace them every 5 or 6 packs, which is a PITA. Getting used to dual ESC's with a stick radio is some work though...
Do you have them mixed on one stick?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #19
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHardwear View Post
I am going after Rockedup Ricky
Oh, like that's a challenge!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHardwear View Post
Shoot I aint got to run with Arklamiss in so long, I fogot what it was like, I am going after Rockedup Ricky and bbyrd, if they beat me the next comp....I will buy a berg and run dual esc's
"IF"?

Mine and RR are set up totally opposite as far as radio. He runs a DX3R with micro switches and I run DX6i with dual ESC's.

The advantage to the dual ESC's and stick Tx is that I can up my rear end points to drastically reduce the motor stall. I can also flip the switch and run each axle at different speeds.

Been running the super like this for a couple years now.

Bring it JB.
bbyrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote