Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Berg track width.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 04:38 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Berg track width.

I realise that pretty much every berg build here has included offset wheels so the extra 1/2" must make a BIG difference in your comps.
Is it just getting through the gates that's easier with a narrower track or does it also help in other ways.
The reason I ask is because I only realised today that you guys have 16" min gates in 2.2 and 20" for super however in Australia it seems that the min gate width for All classes is 20". (I wish the guy who makes the rules in Australia would just run with exactly what the USRCCA uses)

So if you only had to get through 20" gates would you still narrow your bergs?
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

With a 20" gate width I wouldn't worry about narrowing the overall width.
Crawlin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Tires close together help keep the axles off the rocks meaning less hang-ups especially when using aluminum axles. Most Bergs have a really low COG so a little narrower shouldnt hurt the stability too much.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin4fun View Post
With a 20" gate width I wouldn't worry about narrowing the overall width.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
Tires close together help keep the axles off the rocks meaning less hang-ups especially when using aluminum axles. Most Bergs have a really low COG so a little narrower shouldnt hurt the stability too much.
So 1 vote for leave it alone and 1 vote for narrow it for extra clearance under the axle when driving on a mound shape rock.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The better transverse breakover angle is a good reason to run narrow offset wheels, but also consider how much more leverage your servo will have on the tire with narrow offset wheels. Your servo doesn't have to work as hard, making it last longer and work better. The difference isn't actually all that huge, but if you want to win, little things can push you over the edge
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
RCC Addict

With 20" gates, I vote for full width.

The wider wheels would allow for more stability overall, and also more mounting locations for batts and servo as opposed to narrow wheels. Options for various mounts get real limited once you stick narrow wheels on.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i would probably run full width for more side hill and off camber stability.
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

to me its not about getting through gates. its the fact that if the rig is too wide the differentials will hang up more often.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
to me its not about getting through gates. its the fact that if the rig is too wide the differentials will hang up more often.
true, but if the gates are wide enough you have more options on how to go through the gate not just barley fit, making it easier to navigate without getting hung up.
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbound View Post
true, but if the gates are wide enough you have more options on how to go through the gate not just barley fit, making it easier to navigate without getting hung up.
Its not all about the gates, every course Ive run has had obsticals between the gates as well.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbound View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
Its not all about the gates, every course Ive run has had obsticals between the gates as well.

ding ding ding!! the gates are only a small part of a course. sometimes (most of the time) getting through them is no problem, its getting to them that is the hard part.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Ok, I think I have the answers I was looking for.
Very early in the berg builds everyone started fitting narrows (mayhem started making specific wheels etc) and I read that this was all due to "wider isn't always better for a comp rig" I never understood why as it seemed ocm thought they were doing a favour making the axles wider, in the end only to be narrowed again by offset wheels.
HR berg axles have put tried trumping berg on there earlier mistake with a narrower version berg copy.
I didn't consider the transverse break over clearance at all, I was just thinking about side hill stability vs gate clearance.
There is also the steering arm clearance with panthers issue and gear mounting room although even on my stick i don't have anything mounted on my front axle plates (i did have 2/3a's there but i'm yet to see if it was any advantage over a lipo between the front links and BB.
Thanks for the info ppl, it's great.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #13

Default proline 8 shooters

hey all,

if anybody is looking at getting a set or have already got a set of Proline 8 shooters to alter the track width make sure you check that your wheel nuts are locking on the wheel and not the hex drive.

mine stuck throught the wheel just enough to stop the nut locking on the wheel.

we're all in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies!!!!
Darkfire_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

OC, Do we have a (one) guy here who makes the rules?? :-P

I also believe when the idea of even going anywhere near the USRCCA rules was mentioned a large number of people got their knickers in a knot.

I for one have been trying to change the gate width rule for 3 years now, I think 20" is way to wide, unfortunately I keep getting voted out (by the imaginable guys). Maybe you should raise this issue somewhere else for a more localised discussion on the topic. I can assure you right now you will have my vote for a 16" gate, I would even like to see it go down a little more.

As you said, width will help with stability however I personally like a narrow comp rig, I feel the pros out way the cons. In fact I am having trouble coming to terms with the need to fit widners to the axial axles needed to clear the shocks with the new steering set up :-(

But as mentioned, half the battle can be getting to the gate anyway.
clodossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodossal View Post
OC, Do we have a (one) guy here who makes the rules?? :-P

I also believe when the idea of even going anywhere near the USRCCA rules was mentioned a large number of people got their knickers in a knot.

I for one have been trying to change the gate width rule for 3 years now, I think 20" is way to wide, unfortunately I keep getting voted out (by the imaginable guys). Maybe you should raise this issue somewhere else for a more localised discussion on the topic. I can assure you right now you will have my vote for a 16" gate, I would even like to see it go down a little more.

As you said, width will help with stability however I personally like a narrow comp rig, I feel the pros out way the cons. In fact I am having trouble coming to terms with the need to fit widners to the axial axles needed to clear the shocks with the new steering set up :-(

But as mentioned, half the battle can be getting to the gate anyway.
G'day Benno, fancy seeing you here, lol!!
I'd be very happy if we followed the USRCCA rules to the letter, you'd have no complaints from me
At least I know what rules i'll be driving to at the nat's this year, after that i'll worry about it when the time comes.