Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: My Berg Build: Alban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My Berg Build: Alban

I got the berg several months ago and have gone through several different chassis setups, link setups and I am now finally happy with it. It has made an outstanding replacement for my WK, with the added bonus of being about the same width, allowing me to use the same wheels.

Big thanks to skid plate for the above pics.

Here's the specs:
Berg Axles
Front axle is clocked
Front uses STRC Axial knuckles, tie rod is on the inner mounting hole
Rear has FUBAR lockouts
Axial chassis with custom 1/4" delrin skid plate
Kamikaze rear axle electronics plate
Kamikaze delrin lower links with revo rod ends
Aluminum revo pushrods as front upper links
Home made 8-32/Jato rod end rear uppers
Losi Crawler shocks, White losi's and 40 weight all around, bout 3/8" of fuel tubing on the outside.

JR DS8711 servo on stock kit servo mount with home made steering linkage
Dual Tekin FX-R's
55t's
CC BEC
Spektrum DX6i with AR6100e receiver
Flight Power EVO25 2170 3 cell

Losi Rock Claws on Mayhem WK offset 7's
Panthers on VF Stalkers with axial rings
M2K's on CAC non production oddball wheels

Currently a hammered swiss cheese grappler, new body is in the works.

I originally ran it with 1 mamba max and 35t handwounds, but I seemed to be frying dig switches left and right. I got tired of switching them out and went with dual ESC's. And, as crazy as this might sound coming from me, 35t's were too fast. the 55t's are a nice fit with 3 cell.

I've spent the last week really trying to get this thing finalized. I've got the ride height as low as I can stand (2.5" or so) the body as low as it'll go, and finally, electronics properly mounted and wiring routed cleanly.

It's still not as clean as cato's trucks, but it's pretty damned spotless by my standards. And it performs very well, at least when I don't roll it into drainage ditches

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 10-05-2008 at 07:53 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

looks awesome, how much articulation do you get and do you like the way the suspension acts? I am currently trying to get a "settled" suspension setup on mine and might go back to the stock axial chassis I'm lovin that body too
stublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stublet View Post
looks awesome, how much articulation do you get and do you like the way the suspension acts? I am currently trying to get a "settled" suspension setup on mine and might go back to the stock axial chassis I'm lovin that body too

I'm pretty happy with the articulation, and the suspension works really well. I've only run it briefly at Lutz since I lowered the ride height though, I'm not putting out any final verdicts until I've run a few packs through at various places. Red rocks is still the real test of rear suspension setup (at least in my mind) and I haven't run there since august or so. I've loved the way the front has reacted since day one running this chassis though.

Also, thanks for the panther tuning trick tip. I never would have though so much foam would work right, but it feels right once it's all in there

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 10-05-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

keep us updated
stublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

looking good, im stil clueless on clocking axels ?????
bullet1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet1231 View Post
looking good, im stil clueless on clocking axels ?????
New OCM 2.2 Crawler Review

To get the motor out of the way while maintaining proper caster angle. I think there's a thread about it somewhere, I just can't find it. It will jigger with your link geometry and possibly change where you have to stick your steering servo mount, but I think it's worth it.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The jury is back and the verdict is in! This is the finest crawler I've ever owned. I had to hack the body up even more, because the rear shocks were hitting, and I screwed around with the steering setup a bit more, but now it's just incredible. The panthers take some real getting used to, especially after using claws almost exclusively for nigh on a year, but I like them. This thing sidehills like nothing I've ever driven!

Some new specs:
Total weight is 6lbs 1oz
Front has 3lbs 2oz
rear is at 2lbs 14oz

and a pic of my updated steering setup:

Only real difference is that I spaced up the tie rod and flipped the servo horn over. The way I had it the drag link was so close to the pivot of the horn the steering was unbearably slow. This allowed me to space it out a hole, which is really great. I'm gonna try to get the servo down lower at some point to get the drag link angle to be less goofy, but it works fine for now.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
RCC Addict

It's always a good time for me to show off my sub-par painting skills

My intent was to paint red scallops on the side, but I didn't have any red paint, so I did it in green. You can barely see it, even in person. Anyway, it doesn't rub.
I love the way those CAC wheels look, sadly they're just not the right offset. I'm still gonna use them though.