Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Clocking vs. low CG?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Clocking vs. low CG?

Has anyone found that clocking their axles affected their low CG performance? Or is it not significant enough of a change and the clearance is the better trade off?
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I personally am going to clock just the rear. I dont see the front as being a problem with hang ups.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
I personally am going to clock just the rear. I dont see the front as being a problem with hang ups.
ME TOO!
-WHEELMAN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I have 2 Bergs and have tried back to back testing. I ran one day with no clock axles and the next day ran clocked axles. I personally liked the clocked axles better. I could go the same places and lines with the unclocked axle, but it often required more wheelspeed due to the front motor catching. I found no loss in performance due to the raised CG. The terrain I run on is notorious for having lots of "steps", edges and little ridges that like to catch on pumpkins and motors.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I clocked both the front and the rear of mine, and love it. I've got a new set and those will be getting clocked as well!
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I plan on clocking my front but not the rear. I'm just going to use longer links for the rear.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
I clocked both the front and the rear of mine, and love it. I've got a new set and those will be getting clocked as well!
And you drive it like you love it. Hope that new chassis works out.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Clocking on a berg axle should not make that much of a difference in CG. Unless you go to far. I think anywhere even with the lower links would be fine. Clocking a shafty axle will cause torque twist. If your pinion angle is to far out of plain it will bind. You want your drive shaft connaection to be as strait as possible. Just my .02
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
Clocking on a berg axle should not make that much of a difference in CG. Unless you go to far. I think anywhere even with the lower links would be fine.
That's basically what I did. I clocked mine 18*, which made it just a hair higher than my lower links. This has worked well. I beat the hell out of my motors so bad before I clocked them, that almost every other time out, I was cutting a motor brush wire in two. We run a lot of rip-rap style/size rock, so they got hit alot.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I clocked my rear axle to keep the motor above the lower links, didn't afftect my CG much. Just keeps my rear motor from hanging up. I wouldn't clock my front axle unless i had a high clearance steering setup.

thanks
kblackwell71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackwell71 View Post
I clocked my rear axle to keep the motor above the lower links, didn't afftect my CG much. Just keeps my rear motor from hanging up. I wouldn't clock my front axle unless i had a high clearance steering setup.

thanks
Your not clocking the whole axle in the front just the motor casing (pre-drilling holes), axle shaft stays the same without the steering changing in angle...my steering is still the same...you don't need high clearance steering.
slip408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #12
RCC Addict

If you are running the stock servo mount, this will limit the clocking mod. to when you contact the steering servo. Its enough to help from getting hung up to soon or too long. (IMO) The Rear I just used longer top links.
Its a winning set-up.

-Jerome
Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #13

yes actually i found when i clocked my diffs the pumpkin would start getting hung up so i switched back also i found when you clock the front you lose steering cuz your turning into the ground

Last edited by GX10Scorpian; 12-02-2008 at 12:06 PM.
GX10Scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
Keep it real

I actually rotated my front motor down, to gain some caster and to lower the CG even more in the front. The benefit of the lower CG made up for the few times the front motor held me back. I did have to be pickier about line choice.
Rear I used longer upper links to rotate up a smidge.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX10Scorpian View Post
yes actually i found when i clocked my diffs the pumpkin would start getting hung up so i switched back also i found when you clock the front you lose steering cuz your turning into the ground
When I refer to clocking it is assumed that the front axle tubes would be ground and redrilled to eliminate the negative caster angle issue.

Although caster is obviously a non-issue for the rear, I still feel too much clocking by simply lengthening the top links raises the lower links and creates an asymetrical shock angle compared to the front. So I would prefer to redrill the rear just like the front.

Thanks for all your input. I guess I will be taking on the axle modifications shortly.

Last edited by dpdsurf; 12-02-2008 at 03:16 PM.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Although caster is obviously a non-issue for the rear, I still feel too much clocking by simply lengthening the top links raises the lower links and creates an asymetrical shock angle compared to the front. So I would prefer to redrill the rear just like the front.
Thats exactly why I took the time to redrill the housing and clock both axles the same way!