Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: 2 ESC's vs Dig switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 2 ESC's vs Dig switch

Is there a difference between the two?....I know its probley all radio set up, but can you do the same dig function with 2 ESC's as with a dig switch? Sorry for the noob question, Berg's are just a new adventure for me!
robvbro81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The 2 ESC's will have more options, since you could control each esc seperately. You'd need a 4pk or other 4 channel radio to work 2 ESC's perfectly.

Dig switches only allow 4wd, Front dig and rear dig (level of true lock of motors varies on wiring).
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I am not sure how well this works, but if I had 2 esc's I would have went with this punkrock rc
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

two ESC will give you more control options, and you will be able to eliminate motor stall. But it will also be more expensive, weigh more, and take up more space then 2 micro switches and a micro servo.
dorji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

The control options of two esc outweigh any weight gain. A 4 channel radio is a plus but not an absolute necessity. The DX3R does not give you the control options that a Futaba 3PK will. With the Futaba you can do front/rear dig, lead or trail on the rear motor. You can run the rear in reverse or use it with minimum throttle to act as a freewheel.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Oliver Custom Knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post

Dig switches only allow 4wd, Front dig and rear dig (level of true lock of motors varies on wiring).

How does the wiring affect the level of lock on the motors ?
Thanks

Dwane
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwaneO View Post
How does the wiring affect the level of lock on the motors ?
Thanks

Dwane

If you short the motor that gets disconnected it will have more resistance.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

And that resistance will vary depending on motor too. Different number of turns and different magnet strengths will give you different amounts of drag with the motor shorted.
LincolnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

i tried that whole dig switch thing a couple times. and being used to a shafty with flip switch dig and no stall... i couldnt take it and just went with dual sidewinders on my berg build and never looked back. im using a dx7 with mixxed f/r on the left stick and steering on it also so its all on 1 control but i can flip a switch and have front/reardig/reverse etc by useing the 2nd stick.

- tre
akguanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorji View Post
two ESC will give you more control options, and you will be able to eliminate motor stall. But it will also be more expensive, weigh more, and take up more space then 2 micro switches and a micro servo.
My twin FXR's weigh less than one FXR, 2 micro switches, extra wire, servo, switch/servo mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-eyed Jack View Post
The control options of two esc outweigh any weight gain. A 4 channel radio is a plus but not an absolute necessity. The DX3R does not give you the control options that a Futaba 3PK will. With the Futaba you can do front/rear dig, lead or trail on the rear motor. You can run the rear in reverse or use it with minimum throttle to act as a freewheel.
A 4PK is an amazing setup to have with dual ESC's. I have a thread giving step by step instructions on how to set one up. It allows the rig to make verticals that I never believed possible with my shafty.

By feeding the rear about half the power as the front it still propels the rig up hill without wanting to flip the rig over. I wouldn't trade it for anything! Plus I can't drive a stick radio very well and with this I don't ever have to!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #11
RCC Addict

The "dig switch" option is just that . Its an option to use so your total cost is down. Its more savy to replace a $2.00 radio shack switch then it is to buy a mamba.

But like Harley said, With the 2 esc option you have the ability to use either motor as a slave and minimize its rpm's.
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I run 2 FX-Rs on my clod (for now) 2.2. As Harley said, its unreal to be able to set 50% power to the rear and drive as if you were digging up, but with a little extra throttle can 'bump' the car up a notch without it going over backwards. But I'm using a React ;).

Not only that, here is Aus we can run rear steer, so by reversing the rear ESC and turning front and rear wheels in different directions, I can turn like a bobcat on the spot!

Its handy to have the extra functions, but is it worth the extra cash? I think, just barely.
LincolnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote