Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: what radio?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default what radio?

ok so the newbie is back with a few more question...
does berg stall replace the need for freewheel while going up over ledges and such? if not, would it be a good idea to use a stick radio with 2 esc's so i could independently control the front and rear? i know it might take a while to get the hang of it but it seems like the best way to push these moa to full potential... let me know what you guys think! if not ill just stick with the pistal radio and do it like everyone else lol thanks
GEARSCIENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I have been running my Berg for a while now with a spekrum DX3R radio and I have not had a need for freewheel. It does great withouth it. I think having the rear dig is more useable than freewheel.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
I have been running my Berg for a while now with a spekrum DX3R radio and I have not had a need for freewheel. It does great withouth it. I think having the rear dig is more useable than freewheel.
what do u think about the independant control of forward and rear axles? would it be more capable than your set up? to me it seems like the control would allow some one to climb better. if you dont think it would make a major diff ill opt to go the dx3r rout. this has been a major head scratcher for me and i havent bought a thing for my rig due to not knowing which set up to follow lol HELP!!
Old 01-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erforce52285 View Post
what do u think about the independant control of forward and rear axles? would it be more capable than your set up? to me it seems like the control would allow some one to climb better. if you dont think it would make a major diff ill opt to go the dx3r rout. this has been a major head scratcher for me and i havent bought a thing for my rig due to not knowing which set up to follow lol HELP!!
This is the only setup I have ever ran so I dont know if it would be bette to run Dual ESCs or not. With the rear stall it really helps out because the rear tires will spin slower than the front most 90% of the time. So on a climb with a ledge or under cut at the bottom just ease into it and the front will get going before the rear so it wont just loop out as easy.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I think this depends on your back ground. If you have flown planes or helis with a DX6 or 7 you might like the extra control available with the mix of channels allowing you to have better control of power to the separate axles and essentially doing away with the clod stall.
On the other hand if you are like myself, the simplicity of the DX3R with the electronic dig setup allows you to control the separate axles indipendently or both together, but you will have clod stall of the rear axle. Which in some cases helps.
In short this is a situational deal that is different for each and every driver according to their abilities.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

ok great advice so far thanx a lot guys, i think i might do the single esc set up if thats what most are doing... as long as i can climb those ledges like my buddies freewheelin ax10 ill be happy lol if anyone one else has opinions on this let me know, i would like to hear as much as possible on this subject before i buy anything. thanks again guys! do any of you use brushless? y or why not? my first crawler is brushed and its ok, not very fast due to the 55t so im looking into the brushless set up for this berg build...
Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
20K Club

I will pipe in with my regular sales pitch on the Futaba 4PK.

I am a Futaba driver so you can take it with a grain of salt.

I started my berg with a Spectrum DX6 and dual ESC's. I set it up but I was just not coordinated enough to drive it. So I went back to my DX3R with a single ESC and micro switches. However I did not like how it performed. The biggest thing was the lack of freewheel.

So that is when I started talking with Futaba and asking them to get into crawling and to let me try the 4PK. The 4PK gives me the option to mix the rear ESC in at different percentages that I can adjust on the fly. I also have front and rear dig. This is the best of all worlds without have to try and drive a stick radio.

So in short, 4PK is the way to go if you can swing the $400.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I will pipe in with my regular sales pitch on the Futaba 4PK.

I am a Futaba driver so you can take it with a grain of salt.

I started my berg with a Spectrum DX6 and dual ESC's. I set it up but I was just not coordinated enough to drive it. So I went back to my DX3R with a single ESC and micro switches. However I did not like how it performed. The biggest thing was the lack of freewheel.

So that is when I started talking with Futaba and asking them to get into crawling and to let me try the 4PK. The 4PK gives me the option to mix the rear ESC in at different percentages that I can adjust on the fly. I also have front and rear dig. This is the best of all worlds without have to try and drive a stick radio.

So in short, 4PK is the way to go if you can swing the $400.
you can adjust the rear esc on the fly? how? ok im very interested lol that would make things a lot simpler for a cave man like myself...
Old 01-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
20K Club

Quote:
you can adjust the rear esc on the fly? how? ok im very interested lol that would make things a lot simpler for a cave man like myself...
There are several ways, the way I use is to set the subtrim for the mix to the rollers that are on the grip right where your thumb sits. It is all displayed on the screen so you can see the exact amount you are adjusting.

I have a complete step-by-step thread on how to program the radio located in the electronics section
Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
20K Club

You can see the rollers in this picture, to the left of the trigger

Old 01-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You can see the rollers in this picture, to the left of the trigger

wow i just told myself the only way i would ever buy one of those things is if this guy told me i could role a dial back and forth to change rear axle speed and bam u smack me in the face with this one! wow, ok so im definitely gonna have to read your thread... im thinking first i will do what u did... i will buy a cheaper heli style radio to see if i may be blessed with a little more ambidexterity than you lol but chances are i wont be so i will be pm'ing u on getting my hands on one of those thanks a mill on the hasty responses!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
20K Club

Quote:
wow i just told myself the only way i would ever buy one of those things is if this guy told me i could role a dial back and forth to change rear axle speed and bam u smack me in the face with this one! wow, ok so im definitely gonna have to read your thread... im thinking first i will do what u did... i will buy a cheaper heli style radio to see if i may be blessed with a little more ambidexterity than you lol but chances are i wont be so i will be pm'ing u on getting my hands on one of those thanks a mill on the hasty responses!
See if you can find a local with a stick radio that you can drive around, it may save you the time in and resale loss in having to purchase your own.

Here is the 4PK thread: 4PK Setups, Tips, Tricks and Help

Any questions just PM me, happy to help.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

just read your thread, sounds awesome but a little complicated. i will still give it a try if and when i get to that point. do to my travels for work, i wont be building or doing any rock crawling for the next 2 months... when i return home ill have several boxes waiting and once the berg is all together and ive figured out what the heck im doing ill let u know! hopefully for me, its worth the wait!!thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #14
20K Club

Quote:
just read your thread, sounds awesome but a little complicated. i will still give it a try if and when i get to that point. do to my travels for work, i wont be building or doing any rock crawling for the next 2 months... when i return home ill have several boxes waiting and once the berg is all together and ive figured out what the heck im doing ill let u know! hopefully for me, its worth the wait!!thanks
Yeah it is just a bunch of jibberish until you actually get the radio. The most important things to know are that it can do what you want though. Once you get it the programing all comes together very quickly.

2 months is a great amount of time to do a lot of research to find exactly what is best for you
Old 01-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

yeah i think ill make a lot wiser purchases if i dont rush myself. besides i wont have a choice lol anything i order wont be tested till i get back so might as well get the best and think before i buy. ok time for bed. thanks for the advice. we'll talk about this again soon
Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah it is just a bunch of jibberish until you actually get the radio. The most important things to know are that it can do what you want though. Once you get it the programing all comes together very quickly.

2 months is a great amount of time to do a lot of research to find exactly what is best for you

Harley... I'm going to have to call you out here. All you need is a simple 3 channel with endpoints. Like a DX3r or an airtronics mx-3. Set up a few simple switches and a micro servo and you are competing with some of the best. I would like to point out that I do not have a radio sponser.......
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #17
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Harley... I'm going to have to call you out here. All you need is a simple 3 channel with endpoints. Like a DX3r or an airtronics mx-3. Set up a few simple switches and a micro servo and you are competing with some of the best. I would like to point out that I do not have a radio sponser.......
HAHHA!!!!

Don't make me go quote my own post from earlier

You absolutely don't NEED a 4PK but it can do everything a 3R can do and more. I am going to make you drive my truck in Omaha and show you how much cooler I am than you because I have this radio
Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
HAHHA!!!!

Don't make me go quote my own post from earlier

You absolutely don't NEED a 4PK but it can do everything a 3R can do and more. I am going to make you drive my truck in Omaha and show you how much cooler I am than you because I have this radio
I would just get mad and throw it anyway.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #19
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
I would just get mad and throw it anyway.
It was a "Toss"
Old 01-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I have a quick question to add to the radio choice...
if a guys wants to run a Dx6i...and have control over the motors independently would I have to run Dual ESC's?? or can you still do front or rear digs with one ESC??
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote