Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Berg stall? Maybe ESC? Maybe not. Help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Berg stall? Maybe ESC? Maybe not. Help please

Hey guys, just wondering what you guys are setting up your Mamba's like. I have the dig set up, 2s lipo, and 45t motors. I'm having a small issue with one of the motors stopping, like the dig is activated. I'm kinda wondering if it's a timing issue with the motor's or if it's in the ESC.

I'm currently set up with 100% brake, 100% reverse, 0% punch, 100% drag, start power high, motor timing 15*, brushed reversing.

Thanks guys.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
Colt Python/SR9c

Mamba settings

No reason to have 2 threads and welcome to the clod stall
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I like clod stall. When you use it right and set it up it becomes a huge help in so many situations.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

One esc and two motors equals clod stall. You don't have to live with it. Can be eleminated 99% with two esc and appropiate radio and setup.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
I like clod stall. When you use it right and set it up it becomes a huge help in so many situations.
I couldn't agree more, I find I'll use the clodstall to get started on a climb, and if I feel that the rear kicking in will cause any problems, that's when I go ahead and kick it into front dig.
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Team T1E/VP Driver

I had played around with a few things and wanted to minimize clod stall. I don't think it hurts you untill there is just too much of it. Mine started getting worse and worse. I think it could have been my Mamba Max... I went to the FXR and got most of the clod stall to disappear. I didn't want to get rid of it, but just knock it down a little.
Uroplatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Hey guys, just wondering what you guys are setting up your Mamba's like. I have the dig set up, 2s lipo, and 45t motors. I'm having a small issue with one of the motors stopping, like the dig is activated. I'm kinda wondering if it's a timing issue with the motor's or if it's in the ESC.

I'm currently set up with 100% brake, 100% reverse, 0% punch, 100% drag, start power high, motor timing 15*, brushed reversing.

Thanks guys.

Drop a tooth on the pinion on the rear motor, or a higher turn motor on the rear.

I personally dropped a tooth on the rear and went up 5 turns on the rear as well. Might put the stock pinion back in now though.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Not clod stall. One motor doesn't turn at all. I didn't get this with my goat but I am now with the mamba. I can try the different pinion though I don't think it will help.

And I posted it in here because I don't know if it's a Berg issue or ESC issue and it got moved.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Have you rotated the endbell 180 degrees on the reverse wired motor?

Helps a bunch. Along with reseting the timing?

Longer wires to the front motor, to create a matching resistance to the rear when it is under load?

3s Lipo?

These are things that I have done(along with one or two of my own secrets) and have virtually no clod stall compared to other rigs in my club.
downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
Keep it real

Quote:
Not clod stall. One motor doesn't turn at all. I didn't get this with my goat but I am now with the mamba. I can try the different pinion though I don't think it will help.

And I posted it in here because I don't know if it's a Berg issue or ESC issue and it got moved.
How old/what condition are your motors in? What kind of switches are you using for the dig?
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I haven't rotated the endbell. What timing are you talking, motor or ESC? I haven't tried the 3s yet but that's why I got the Mamba. I do have longer wires for the extra resistance.

Motors are new. One is brand new, one has maybe 10 minutes on it. I'm using the Radio Shack switches that were posted up to use by someone else. Can't remember the part number but they aren't the roller switches.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I was taliking about motor timing.

I am asuming that you are using two of the same brand and model motors?
Matching the two motors' timing will help to equalize the draw. You can also adjust it just like dropping or adding a turn or two to your desired motor.

3s helps but is not neccessary. You can achieve the the same amp rating either way.
Try adding a little more in the punch setting(esc)...It allows more amperage at initial trigger pull.

How many mAh is your 2s and what is the C rating?

Last edited by downtown; 01-05-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Keep it real

Quote:
I'm using the Radio Shack switches that were posted up to use by someone else. Can't remember the part number but they aren't the roller switches.
I used the same ones when I had mine, and I found that if you get dust or debris in the switches, they would stick, basicly like engaging dig and killing the motor. Might be something to inspect.

EDIT: might also be a hung brush??

Last edited by Tanis; 01-05-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Tried the brushes. That's the first thing I tried. Any better switches to use?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I think I got it with the endbell rotation 180*. I did that and set the timing on them both and it seems to pull really strong now.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I agree with Tanis, check your brushes and springs on your motors.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I am still getting some stall but nowhere near as much now. I'll play with the timing a little again, play with the throttle curve a little bit and I am looking for a 13t pinion for the front.

Hopefully with all of that it will be solved.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

People seem to be overlooking that alot..
Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

A much better switch than the RS one>>> http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=12&page=1

edit: Not in stock right now. But when they do come in stock, that's the one to get.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Does anyone have a good clean picture of a dig? Not the wiring diagram, but an actual picture that show's the wires and stuff? Itried following the dig box thread and I didn't get it right I don't think. This is now the third time rebuilding the dig to try and get it right. So far it hasn't helped and I'm still getting clod stall.

180* turn on the motor, played with timing, played with ESC settings and it's not much better. Only thing left was to rebuild the dig.