Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Ordering a berg, have a couple Questions for you pros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Ordering a berg, have a couple Questions for you pros

I have a couple crawlers now, Losi MRC and an AX10 that I've put about 1500 bux into and love it. However, the notion of motors on the axles intrigues me.
I have a DX3S radio and use a dig unit on my axial with it. However I'm having a time conceptualizing a dig for a berg when there's no axle disconnect. So, barring that I think until I get a 4 channel radio I'm going to use my ch3 for rear steer as I don't compete (yet)
My questions are thus:
What esc can utilize dual motors? (I have an emaxx but don't think that'll work)
What motor turn would work well? a couple of roosters? or maybe the integy 55's?
Thanks for any input you may have. I'm excited to get it built up and I have read a bit about the 4ch radio, dual esc for the dig and will do that eventually.
BoredGord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The electronic dig is like no other dig available. I'd say save your money and go the dig direction instead of rear steer. Since you have the 3S only 4wd and 1 dig option will be a available to you. Most likely you will want to run the Front Dig setup.

A Tekin FXR works well and is a popular choice. I run it myself and can say it is well worth the money. The tuning at your fingertips is not available on any other speed control.

Another option is the Castle Creations Sidewinder. This is cheaper and works just as well as a FXR. But in order to program it you will need to purchase a Castle Link, so in turn the FXR and Sidewinder+Castle Link are about the same price. Just a matter of preference as there are many threads arguing which one is better.

Most People will Run 45t-55t motors. Integy's will work but any type of Handwound would be much better/stronger. These may be Banzai, Holmes Hobbies, JP Customs Warrior, etc. I'm sure others will chime in on which they prefer.

Just spend hours searching/browsing this forum and you will learn everything you need.
Calicrawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 AM   #3

go for a rooster, you only need one. i went with the 35t jp's, but it's all ur own choice.
FONZERELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGord View Post
I have a couple crawlers now, Losi MRC and an AX10 that I've put about 1500 bux into and love it. However, the notion of motors on the axles intrigues me.
I have a DX3S radio and use a dig unit on my axial with it. However I'm having a time conceptualizing a dig for a berg when there's no axle disconnect. So, barring that I think until I get a 4 channel radio I'm going to use my ch3 for rear steer as I don't compete (yet)
My questions are thus:
What esc can utilize dual motors? (I have an emaxx but don't think that'll work)
What motor turn would work well? a couple of roosters? or maybe the integy 55's?
Thanks for any input you may have. I'm excited to get it built up and I have read a bit about the 4ch radio, dual esc for the dig and will do that eventually.
Unless you are afraid to solder a few joints get the Tekin FXR.....
other wise the rest are all equal

joking. but seriously, get the tekin. READ THE THREADS!
spend a little time researching the berg/Moa rigs. That is the best way to aviod making the mistakes you dont have to.
eg. had I paid more attention initially I would have gone with the 2 esc / 4pk set up.

Read twice, buy once
Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

After doing a pile of reading here and elsewhere I'm going to do it up with dual
ESC's mixed on a 4pk or dx6. I am kinda leaning towards the dx6 as I have a small fortune in spektrum receivers and can programme all my vehicles into it. Haven't decided on the motors but read nothing but praises for the handwound ones from holmes. Tekin seems to be the ESC of choice among the majority, I have never used one myself but the programmability is cool so they'll be used. CC BEC and a 5955 servo. For the bulk of the hardware I'm going to use the kit to start and upgrade components as I become accustomed to the driving style.

This is going to be fun and I will post a build thread when I get all the goodies in. Oh yeah, I also have an HPI Baja Bug body in a bag sitting here for it.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Firstly spektrum surface receivers won't bind to a DX6. Remember how the FCC mandates surface and air radios be different? If you want to run dual ESC's effectively and keep all your spektrum receivers your best bet would be to get a 3PK with a spektrum module. The 3PK will do most everything the 4PK can, it's just 3 channel, and you only need 3 channels for dual ESC's, plus it's cheaper. Another option is a Nomadio radio (React, Sensor) which will also bind to spektrum receivers, they will work with dual ESC's, and they are both 4 channel.
Please note these two options only work with DSM receivers. If your receivers are all DSM2 you're completely SOL. There's not a single surface DSM2 compatable transmitter which will do dual ESC's well (at least that I'm aware of)
As for motors, I'm using plain old 55t cheapo integy lathes and I'm perfectly happy with it. Handwounds are better, but unnecessary.
I'm currently using 2 FX-R's in my berg and I'm happy with it, but I found this setup to be difficult to control with 35t motors. If you want to use higher turn motors you should go for a castle ESC, such as the Sidewinder or a Mamba max, they're significantly smoother. Be aware you'll need a BEC with any of these setups.
I'd advise 3 cell lipo batterys. If you're not already using lipo just make sure you use a lipo specific charger, and set the cutoff on the ESC. The berg is geared just perfect to my taste with 55t motors and 3 cell lipo.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I am building a berg now and I will be using a Futaba 3pm that has benn programed to have front and rear dig. I use a castle creations sidewinder in all my trucks. They work flawlessly. I might go to a mamba max, but have not decided. You can find a few wiring diagrams in this forum using a micro servo ans some micro switches. You can also get some heavier switched from holmes and it is relatively simple to wire up. It would be alittle easier to drive and a little lighter on the chassis without dual esc's, and Batteries
TK-twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
Mic
Rock Crawler

Default 3 positions out of a 2 position 3rd channel switch

You can use a dx3s for a Berg dig and get front dig and rear burn. Set up the servo and 2 dig switches. Trim needs to be at 0 (centered). Front dig servo moves clockwise and activates Front DIG switch. Hit 3rd channel button and go back to 4WD. To get rear burn, hit 3rd channel servo reverse button, then hit the dig button and servo turns counter clockwise and activates REAR Burn switch. I do this with a JR xs3 which has a 2 position 3rd channel and it works great. There you go front DIG and Rear burn all with a 2 position 3rd channel.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

hrmm, I wasn't thinking about compatibility between stick and wheel radio receivers. Makes sense. I wanna eventually get a helicopter but schmeh, it can wait. I don't have a real problem using the switches method of controlling dig. Making them looks simple enough. I however think dual esc's would be fun, I saw that video clip from Harley and I like the way it handles with the dial under the wheel on the 4pk. Maybe what I'll do is set it up switched so's I can use my existing controller and 1 esc/2 servos for now as the initial cash outset is lower and grab a 4pk later. My rc budget for the season is only about 3500 this year so I should spend frugally. I really also wanna get one of them 1/10 Losi crawlers too. So much cool stuff such a small budget, anyone wanna buy a real nice italian steel road bicycle?