Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: kwal's SWX Berg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default kwal's SWX Berg

I just finished My Berg yesterday and since this is the first non kit crawler I've done I'm looking for some critique.

Here's what I got:
CC Sidewinder
CC BEC
Manly dig switches
Hitec 55 dig servo
Hitec 645 steering servo
integy 55t lathe motors
ckrc 1500mah lipo
Proline Eight shooter wheels (they're a temporary until i figure what I want)
Proline Chisel Tires

Right side

Left side

Flex shot

Yes I know my wiring is a rat's nest
kwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I would ditch the 645 servo for a monster one. Won't know how you lived without it. You could also raise the upper links on the rear higher in the chassis. Looks good.
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Whats up with your wiring it looks like a rat's nest.

K Riccardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

alot of nice parts

just wondering how your shocks work?
it might help if you got some shorter ones or limit the travel on those with some gas line or xomething
I am sure you are ready to get down to the tuning and wiring

its a joke
Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You definatly need some shrink wrap on you deans solder joints. when that lipo shorts you will weld something you don't want welded
rock addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Jamison I moved the links up and it pushed the wb to 12 5/8 in and clocked the axle, but was able to shorten the upper links to fix it

Rock Solo I thought about doing that but my belly height is 2 3/4 in right now and I don't think I want it lower. I'll let you know how the shocks work, but from just running it around my house I think I might need some softer springs.

Rock Addict The deans that aren't shrink wrapped go to the motors, the battery ones are, but you are right I need to get some kind of insulator on there to protect the esc.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Look into slash rear springs. I think they are pretty nice. I just cut mine down last night a hair for a lower ride height. I like the progressive nature of them though.

Another thing to look into is since you have a long bolt for the upper links.
Go ahead and put a spacer in there for the links to take up the extra length. Will help the way the suspension cycles as well. And look good while doing it.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamisonWorkshop View Post
Look into slash rear springs. I think they are pretty nice. I just cut mine down last night a hair for a lower ride height. I like the progressive nature of them though.

Another thing to look into is since you have a long bolt for the upper links.
Go ahead and put a spacer in there for the links to take up the extra length. Will help the way the suspension cycles as well. And look good while doing it.
I'll look into the Slash springs.

The reason I put a long bolt in there is so I can try different setups but if I space out the upper links right now I'll move the wb to more then 12 1/2 in and clock the axle to much, right now I'm looking into getting a shorter upper link to fix this problem, but I forgot to measure the overall link length last night so it's not going to happen today.

Thanks to everybody for the help.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I am referring to the axle mount. The bolt in the front on shot.
Just widen them out a little. Should not change the wheelbase.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I took it to Carderock park yesterday to see what it'll do. The suspension worked well, but I couldn't tell too much since everything was damp and I had no traction.

Jamison I did put some spacers in the front upper link mounts and it moved the wheelbase to 12 1/2, since the link is at less of an angle it's going to go move it out, so I put a smaller link on it which moved it to 12 7/16.
When I assembled the rear I spaced the rear lowers at the axle in, I thought it was too much of an angle stock, once I removed the spacer and added the spacers to the upper link mount it moved the wheelbase to 12 1/4 right where I wanted it so I can make adjustments and not worry about having a to long wheelbase
Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I was wondering how you like those Pro Line wheels?Do they make the rig to wide in your opinion?What is the quality like?I was thinking of using them on my berg for a cheaper alternative.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepial View Post
I was wondering how you like those Pro Line wheels?Do they make the rig to wide in your opinion?What is the quality like?I was thinking of using them on my berg for a cheaper alternative.
The width is just under 11 in wide, don't know what you're shooting for in your rig, but I think that it's a tad too wide. I'm just using them until i figure what wheels I want to run, leaning towards Mayhem wheels right now.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwal View Post
Rock Solo I thought about doing that but my belly height is 2 3/4 in right now and I don't think I want it lower. I'll let you know how the shocks work, but from just running it around my house I think I might need some softer springs
I think if you got shorter shocks you would be able to position your shocks more upright (not too much) and I think this will the suspension actuate a bit smoother without raising your ride height. The red springs are a bit stiff but some people use 'em. I like wheely king springs because every hobby shop sell HPI and they are short money... and a bunch of different spring rates. oh, and get to the wiring before you burn it to the ground
Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksolo View Post
I think if you got shorter shocks you would be able to position your shocks more upright (not too much) and I think this will the suspension actuate a bit smoother without raising your ride height. The red springs are a bit stiff but some people use 'em. I like wheely king springs because every hobby shop sell HPI and they are short money... and a bunch of different spring rates. oh, and get to the wiring before you burn it to the ground
I understand what you are saying and I will give it a try.

I need to rethink my electronics I tried something and it didn't work. Other then the deans to the motors (I already took care of it last night) there is no chance of shorting the battery since the connections are insulated
Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

i ma sure you arent offended by my bad sense of humor

feel frre to throw some my way dude, its all good fun.

hurry up with the body and the action shots