Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: T-berg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default T-berg

Got some axles and parts. Using some small parts and aluminum I have laying around here. Now, please note this is similar to the clod chassis made by a vendor here, but this is nowhere near the quality that that appropriate vendor here would come up with. And so it begins...

Chassis blank. Tuning holes to come later. Also need to find some 3/4" material to replace the stock upper link bracket with a beefy multi-hole mount for the backbone.

Have to drill thru the outer screw hole.

See.

Backbone mounted for now. As stated above, need to find some thick material to make a real mount with multiple attachment points.

This should be replaced with a turnbuckle. You can adjust the clocking of the front and rear axles using this (but it changes the WB as well).

Side...

Clearance without tires.

This was my after-work project today. Thinking about just getting it running and then building some better parts (real backbone mount and replace stabilizer with turnbuckle).

What I have is 55T motors (want 45Ts), 13T pinions, JConcepts body, Mayhem 7s, and lots of stuff I could scavenge off my clod torsion.

Last edited by papasnachez; 04-13-2009 at 08:37 PM.
papasnachez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

R2J, I'm going to be improving this design hopefully. I know the chassis rage is all about chassis' similar to your new ones, but I am faithful to the torsion cane style.

I'm thinking the backbone mount will be easy once I get some 3/4" material. The berg case is great in that it has the two screws for the link mount already, and I want the mount to fit up into the channel and probably be about 1.5" or so long so I can put 2 spaced out screws and ditch this one screw with spacer thing I have going on now.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nice work! Keep us up to date!
dano104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano104 View Post
Nice work! Keep us up to date!
Thanks man. It is a start...I was just bored after work and got tired of staring at these loose axles so I had to tie them together with a chassis somehow.

I have also learned to not "finish" the project until the end, for example, don't spend time rounding the edges the first go around, and then end up scrapping it for another design. So it will only look better as we go.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

New delrin backbone mounts. Now I need to take it off and clean it up.The slots are for the u-channel to fit with the opening downward. It is opposite of the traditional way and I will probably have to cover it up with something thin and slick. But I wanted the pivot point as low as possible to reduce axle swing.

Steering I'm working on.

Tire choice

Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

You're on a roll- don't stop now!
APESHAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I'm still wondering if the center chunk there that fits inside the channel actually helps or if I should cut it out completely and run the u-channel facing up like normal.

The way it is now I can run screws all the way though horizontally and it is like a double shear set-up. Also on a separate note, the delrin wraps around underneath and covers the gap that is usually between the axle tube and motor.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Not as much clearance as I would have liked. Wanted over 3.5". This is just under. I do have rovers I could put on for more height though. As you can see the chassis is way below the tops of those tires which aren't even 5" tall. Hope you can see the traxxas rod end and ruler for reference.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Do some HB rover's or PL chisel's there 5.5". And the losi are 5.2" tall
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:00 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Looks good man. The torsion type setup seems to be hanging on in subtle variations and hybrids. Make it work, and kick ass with something different.
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
Do some HB rover's or PL chisel's there 5.5". And the losi are 5.2" tall

Yeah, I've got some rovers. I want to try these tires though.

Yeah the losi's say 5.2" tall but mounted on these wheels with stock foams they were just shy of 5". And as it sits with just the unfinished vehicle weight on them they measure 4.75".
Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Finished second in our first season of the year (Texas RC Offroad). Some more pics I never posted...

Steering (and tons of it)

Rear axle plate

Last comp

Last edited by papasnachez; 07-24-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

So, how is the progress of this crawler coming along?? Still using the stick chassis?? I'm really debating on trying one of these chassis for the indoor winter series. The look like they could be really stable and predictable. But just would not articulate as smoothly as a full suspension setup.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Well, I've ben using this thing for about 3 months. I'm bad about not updating my threads. I tend to build more and post less. Anyways...

Still running this chassis. Works good.
- Steering is insane, no links or shocks to get in the way.
- Backbone is mounted pretty low, so the axle swing is not that bad, NOT like a clod with 5" center clearance.
- This is NOT a stick type chassis...those have shocks
- I still need common upgrades like rear lockouts and axial stubs, but it works great as I drive pretty light.
- Overall most weight is on axles. Only thing on chassis is receiver and dig switches.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Some picture updates from some past comps.