Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Darkside Question???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Darkside Question???

I am going to come over to the darkside, but before I do I have a newbie question. What is better for a newbie to get started in this hobby with one of these vehicles? Is it better to get a kit or just buy parts and put the vehicle together with help from members of this forum?
Here area a couple of kits I have looked at so far in my search

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1919

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1537

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-1...p-p-16898.html

I just need some general direction. I have read build thread on these vehicles and would appreciate some experienced help on which way to go for a newbie,
BMFOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

none of those. i would buy a chassis that you like and buy a set of berg axles from whomever and start your build. a little more time and research, but it will be worth it in the long run and you'll have a better rig. jmo.
ROCKCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

buy th parts & build your own. read up on some berg builds & make your list.
bajajam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKCAD View Post
none of those. i would buy a chassis that you like and buy a set of berg axles from whomever and start your build. a little more time and research, but it will be worth it in the long run and you'll have a better rig. jmo.
Thanks for your response. Any suggestions on chassis and can I do a tube chassis berg?

Is the Kamikaze 4.0 chassis a good berg chassis???

Last edited by BMFOTP; 04-26-2009 at 01:38 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajajam View Post
buy th parts & build your own. read up on some berg builds & make your list.
Thanks for your response. Time to get back to the search button
Old 04-26-2009, 05:48 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFOTP View Post
Thanks for your response. Any suggestions on chassis and can I do a tube chassis berg?

Is the Kamikaze 4.0 chassis a good berg chassis???
I have not heard a bad thing about any of the chassis made by any of the vendors on here... only except when someone was trying to convert a shafty chassis to MOA and it didn't work out so well.

Check out the T1E Rockshow. It's a bodiless chassis. That's what I run and it's great.

The Kamikaze Chassis is top notch and an RCC favorite and I like the looks of CDW too.

Basically... all the chassis made for MOA's are good for MOA's. Just stay away from the Berg Kit stuff.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
ghetto fabulous newbie

I would wait a little bit longer to buy a Chassis
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

A NEW MOA CDW CHASSIS HUMMMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
ROCKCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
I have not heard a bad thing about any of the chassis made by any of the vendors on here... only except when someone was trying to convert a shafty chassis to MOA and it didn't work out so well.

Check out the T1E Rockshow. It's a bodiless chassis. That's what I run and it's great.

The Kamikaze Chassis is top notch and an RCC favorite and I like the looks of CDW too.

Basically... all the chassis made for MOA's are good for MOA's. Just stay away from the Berg Kit stuff.
Berg Kit stuff??? What exactly is that? Like one of the kits mentioned in my first post?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
How long would you wait, is the wait going to be good for a newbie to Bergs and will the wait include all the necessary links and equipment to put a chassis together???
Old 04-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I would just buy the Berg 2.2 kit in your initial post from CKRC. The price of the Berg axles alone will cost you a good portion of the price for the kit from CKRC. The kit includes shocks and wheels that you can use even if you build your own chassis, and will allow you to get started quickly and learn what you want.

~petev
vavaroutsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

by far build your own, more than enough insight to a killer setup... I tried 3 chassis before I actually ran mine, then settled w/ an El Nino, now I just need to upgrade from a 2s to a 3s lipo...
pig bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Build your own man...That way the end result will be exactly what you want it to be.Plus when you build your won rig from the ground up you will learn a lot more about it and how it all works,thus making tuning and such more of a second nature.

So IMO I would look at the vendors section,find you a MOA style chassis that you like,buy some Berg or Bully axles and then start piecing it all together.You will be much happier with what you have in the end that way.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavaroutsos View Post
I would just buy the Berg 2.2 kit in your initial post from CKRC. The price of the Berg axles alone will cost you a good portion of the price for the kit from CKRC. The kit includes shocks and wheels that you can use even if you build your own chassis, and will allow you to get started quickly and learn what you want.

~petev
The good about a kit is that I would get all the little pieces I need to build a MOA. The bad is that I wouldnt have the experience of putting my own MOA together from the ground. The bad about building from the ground is that I dont know that much about MOAs and might get the ground components and cost myself money. The good of a kit is all I have to do is add electronics. I could then take the MOA apart at my lesiure and examine the components and see how they work and test and tune from that point. The bad part of a kit is that the components that come with a kit might suck and need replacing from the start of the project. The bad of building from the ground is having to ask questions in the forum and getting bashed for asking newbie questions.

Winner: Kit MOA

The last point is enough to make me want to get a kit MOA.:-(
Old 04-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig bandit View Post
by far build your own, more than enough insight to a killer setup... I tried 3 chassis before I actually ran mine, then settled w/ an El Nino, now I just need to upgrade from a 2s to a 3s lipo...
How much did the 3 chassis you tried before setting on the El Nino cost? What made you decide on the El Nino chassis? I have never heard of the El Nino chassis. Could you supply a hyperlink?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepial View Post
Build your own man...That way the end result will be exactly what you want it to be.Plus when you build your won rig from the ground up you will learn a lot more about it and how it all works,thus making tuning and such more of a second nature.

So IMO I would look at the vendors section,find you a MOA style chassis that you like,buy some Berg or Bully axles and then start piecing it all together.You will be much happier with what you have in the end that way.
I agree building my own MOA would be a good learning experience and give me insight into my build. My biggest problem would be if I ran into trouble with the build and having to come into the forum and asking for assistance. I would hate to get bashed for asking newbie questions. Even if I searched and couldnt find the answer to a question or finding an answer and not understanding the information. Guess I am told old to to tolerate getting bashed for trying to learn and experience a new hobby
Old 04-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

stock newage chassis was a piece of dog schit, the SWX bender chassis was good but was too high, the El Nino chassis is made by Chaotic Crawler PM him on this site, a few of the local crawlers have it and I liked how it was setup, as far as the cost I bought the NEWAGE ENROUTE kit of which I used only a few parts, the SWX chasis was one I had purchased for an axial but never put it on, also the SWX width was too wide the El Nino uses 50mm spacers... I almost went w/ the RockShow from T1E it looks like a killer setup
pig bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
Team T1E/VP Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig bandit View Post
RockShow from T1E it looks like a killer setup

Hey BMFOTP.... we are having a comp not to far (couple hours drive) from you on the 9th, check out the details on NCRCC. You can check out several chassis there, plus there will be a ton of Rockshows there... NC is home to T1E
Uroplatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Cant go wrong w/ the Rockshow. Been running mine for a couple of months now and have done well in comps, the only thing holding her back is the driver. You won't find a nicer bunch of guy's either.
The only people here that will flame you are jacka@@'s anyway and are thankfully outnumbered.
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFOTP View Post
I agree building my own MOA would be a good learning experience and give me insight into my build. My biggest problem would be if I ran into trouble with the build and having to come into the forum and asking for assistance. I would hate to get bashed for asking newbie questions. Even if I searched and couldnt find the answer to a question or finding an answer and not understanding the information. Guess I am told old to to tolerate getting bashed for trying to learn and experience a new hobby
That's why they have a newbie section.......But for real man...I was in your shoes at one time.But I choose the build my own route and it turned out great for me.Plus I met a lot of good guys on here asking dumb newbie questions.Plus there are regional threads,get on the one for NC and find you some locals or some local comps to check out so you can meet some locals to get you hip to the game..And hell,if all else fails send me a PM with any questions you run into and I will do what it takes to help you out.Plus this forum is loaded with builds,tech and everything else you would every need to know..And really man,what are you gonna do with a rig built by someone else when you get to a comp and it breaks down and you don't know anything about fixing it?..You think you would get flamed on here for newbie q and a sessions...Try doing that at a comp......But for real,there are alot a good people on here that are more than willing to help new guys out,that is how our hobby stays progressing.....Just my thoughts...

Last edited by Jeepial; 04-29-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote