Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Does wheel weight matter that much?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Does wheel weight matter that much?

I thought my rig was working fine untill I went to a crawl spot and for the first time I was NOT able to make a climb.
I saw an axial tuder get up and over but I simply could not.

I asked, and the guys were running like a pound of lead in there front tires... yeah 16 ounces.

I have 1.5 each (3 oz total front zero rear)

I like a light rig.... but the rigs I picked up to feel their weight seemed to to a pound or two heavier than mine.

Is that normal....am I too light?
Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I would probably say yes, you are too light. Just experiment with different weight setups. I am at 13oz total tire each up front and 6 oz each total weight rear tire. (that is, one front wheel/tire weighs 13oz total, and one rear wheel/tire weighs 6oz total) I run a half sprung/torsion rig. Works perfect after i got the weight dialed in.

I was in the same boat as "run a light rig" with my super. I added weight to the front on my second course this weekend and it made a big difference.

Last edited by Szczerba; 04-27-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

guess I have to hit the hobby shop for some weights.

Rocksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I havent ran mine without it but each of my front wheels weigh 14 oz each and each back wheel weighs 6 oz. I think it does help for breaking over stuff and keep the front end down
p3ripperfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Just go to your local tire shop with a few $'s or a box of DD's in hand...

Works wonders and much cheaper than LHS...
Arct1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
RCC Addict

remember that its not just weight but also the balance of the whole rig. I run my balance point right in front of the bolts on the lower front links. The weight is just one part of the setup. If you run heavy you will need different foams, maybe different shocks, oil, springs, etc etc, everything is connected.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
remember that its not just weight but also the balance of the whole rig. I run my balance point right in front of the bolts on the lower front links. The weight is just one part of the setup. If you run heavy you will need different foams, maybe different shocks, oil, springs, etc etc, everything is connected.

thats right, to me its more important to have a well balanced rig. my fronts are about 18oz total each (wheel/weight/tire/foam) and the rears are about 12oz.

i'd say your rig is a little light, one of our local guys runs his shafty that light and gets it done, but he tried his MOA rig the same way and it just wasn't working.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i wouldn't run that much weight.. in my axial i was running 5 in each front nothing in the rear.. My berg im running 7 in each front and nothing in the rear.. austin dunns last years national champ 3 in each front and nothing in the rear.. just add a little weight to the front and try it. don't just drop a few pounds on your car. you will find alot more breaks and some obsticals won't be possible.. the lighter you can get it with still doing what you want to be able to do is your best set up. so just gradually add the weight. and don;t add any to the rear unless you find your fliping forward. another thing that you will find will help is to add a little stiffer foam to the rear tires so you have a little less traction which will help not flip you over backwards on the steep climbs. and possibley a little softer up front. not so soft that your sidewall strenth goes away. but soft enough to increase your front traction. My suggestion would be 7 oz in the front. 0 in the rear. and do what i suggested with the foam set up and see how it works. There are ways to keep it light. which is the best set up. The less weight you have to drag up over something the better.

Last edited by thescoutmandan; 04-28-2009 at 04:04 PM.
thescoutmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Weight is very important with any rig.
But I see people saying don't add but 3 ounces and nothing in the rear or what ever amount they say to add.

There is no way to tell someone to add 3 ounces here and nothing there unless you know how much there wheel,tire,and foam weights to start with.I like how Diesel stated what his total weight of each wheel was.That is the best way to put it.
Most Berg drivers that I have talked to end up with 14-16 ounces total for each of the fronts and 7-9 total for each of the rears .If they are running in a area that the courses end up with a ton of side hills the may go heavier.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I set mine up so that it will balace on the forward edge of the skid. Right now I have 9oz added to each front wheel.

Not sure what each tire/foam/wheel combo weight's though. I need to get a scale.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote