Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: DIG question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default DIG question

Does the dig setup with two switches and a servo lock the rear axle or does it free roll? Also if you run two esc and novaks dig switch will lock the rear or free roll?
M_ENERGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

The 2 switch dig will lock either the front or rear wheels. It will not allow it to freewheel unless you wire it to disconnect the power to the motors instead of shorting them. If you are running 2 ESC's, you do not need a dig because you can have independent control of the front and rear motors if you have a 4-channel radio. If you only have a 3 channel radio, you can run a dig, but why complicate things?
jdmstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmstuff View Post
The 2 switch dig will lock either the front or rear wheels. It will not allow it to freewheel unless you wire it to disconnect the power to the motors instead of shorting them. If you are running 2 ESC's, you do not need a dig because you can have independent control of the front and rear motors if you have a 4-channel radio. If you only have a 3 channel radio, you can run a dig, but why complicate things?
The new Novak Dig unit allows you to run 2 esc's with a 3channel radio. When you use this it relys on each ESC's drag brake to lock the axle. The FXR does a great job of this, the Castle ESC's lack a stong enough DB in my oppinion. I hear Castle is working on this though
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
the Castle ESC's lack a stong enough DB in my oppinion. I hear Castle is working on this though
I can verify that one. Castles will allow the wheels to roll a little.
RivBlueNoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivBlueNoma View Post
I can verify that one. Castles will allow the wheels to roll a little.
I ran sidewinders when I expeirenced it, I am not sure on the Mamba Max but I think it is the same.

A little roll is fine with me (I run FXR's and don't have it all the way up for this reason). I like to blip the throttle when using I want it to act as a lock. Then when I am constantly on it will slightly roll with me, giving a sort of freewheel effect.

The 4PK I run gives the best of all worlds though.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

On the castle stuff,you can adjust your reverse curve up a little to help with the brake. It does make your reverse a little touchy,if you go to far with it. A little trial and error in the Castle Link and you can get the drag brake to work really well on a Castle ESC....even with wimpy cat pee motors.

Wheelspeed can also help. The faster your front tires "burn" the better your dig will work,even if your rear tire roll free a little.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_ENERGY View Post
Does the dig setup with two switches and a servo lock the rear axle or does it free roll?
You can set it up both ways in effect/theory.

If you only cut the negative with the switches, the "off" motor can roll some, but its not a free wheel like an Axial or 2 ESC's and a 4PK/3PK radio.

If you cut the negative wires and short to the positive on the motor, this will in theory add some more resistance to help lock it more.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

well, after today at summit, you can see that none of us really had that much of a problem with our digs on the bergs. Miller Tyme and Real Deel were using Dual ESC setups. which like stated earlier can effectively lock up the motor more. But you seen that mine still effectively locked the rears any time that I wanted, I am just running a single ESC with my dig switches that do not short the motors. It just depends on your gearing and what not. I personally do not need to short the motors to get the rears to hold well. My crawler digs really well too. Just can't drive it as well as Brian!
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the info guys! Brian had to climb gate 2 with your berg too. He is definately good but you got it right after that and then you rocked it on the other courses!! Good Job
M_ENERGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_ENERGY View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! Brian had to climb gate 2 with your berg too. He is definately good but you got it right after that and then you rocked it on the other courses!! Good Job

Thanks, I appreciate that, Just to let you know though, I'm dropping that comp score. I just didnt have a good day! excuses excuses! LOL!!! Brian is one hell of a good driver though. He was the one who got me to build my berg. And yeah, he could have taken my crawler up Gate #2 but I did it myself! Not that it mattered though!!

There are some really good drivers here to learn alot from.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote