Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: Montrucks Japan Katana Chassis Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Montrucks Japan Katana Chassis Review

A while back Saver posted up asking for Berg testors for his Axial based chassis, the Arrow. After seeing the pics I could tell that it was far from ideal for a Berg, and PM'ed him with tips to make it narrower, with the upper link mounts brought in and up on the TVP's, to get as close to equal length links possible. Well, after many pics back and forth, the Katana chassis sold by crawler hobbies is what they decided on. I offered to test it for them, and, I recieved a chassis and skid.

I have previously run a GC2 on my Berg, and currently switch between KK Zero line of chassis.

Here are my thoughts and impressions:

First off, the parts were machined decent, but my package was marked testor so I am guessing the purchased versions are finished nicer. Here is what came in the bag

The channeled skid seems cool, I have not tried one of those. The skid is 2" wide, but the opening for the lower links is a bit wider than the KK skid. This means less triangulation, but a little more motor clearance at the axle.

Here are pics of the overall dimensions of the Katana, it is a very small chassis, very low profile. Looks to be setup for 90mm shocks. This pic shows the layout of hole spacing, etc, and then there is a reference pic to campare to my 4.0.

Immediately I could tell that I would not be able to fit a battery on the skid due to the very low upper link mount holes. This is a bummer because I do not like mounting my batts on the rear axle out in the open, and because that limits my battery size possibilities. Here is the Katana on top of my Zero 4.0

The pics show that this is a 90mm shock chassis, but for now I built it up with my 4.0 running gear, including 4" shocks, giving it a 3.5" belly clearance.

I actually have been wanting to try a higher clearance truck, and not mounting the batt on the skid may minimize the higher center of gravity.

Here is where I think I am going to mount the battery. (1500mah 3 cell 20c)

So far I like the looks of the chassis, and the skid is nice, I just wish that they would have let me and some others test her out first. I can already tell I need some more upper link holes. But, I haven't run it yet so time will tell on how it performs. Hopefully I am surprised.

I will run it tomorrow with the 4" shocks, and then again probably this weekend with the 3.5" shocks to see which setup is better. I'm guessing the 3.5" shocks with 3" ground clearance will work better.

Thats all for now.

Last edited by 4xFord; 07-15-2009 at 04:36 PM.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=4xFord;1825793]
First off, the parts were machined decent, but my package was marked tester so I am guessing the purchased versions are finished nicer...

Here are pics of the overall dimensions of the Katana, it is a very small chassis, very low profile. Looks to be setup for 90mm shocks... this is a 90mm shock chassis, but for now I built it up with my 4.0 running gear, including 4" shocks, giving it a 3.5" belly clearance...

So far I like the looks of the chassis, and the skid is nice.QUOTE]

Thank you for taking the time to post up!! Looks great!!

First, the chassis you received was a tester chassis. The chassis that we have for sale are cleaned up for final sell. The Katana kit also comes with the hardware to mount the skid to the chassis where yours did not.

Second, the chassis was designed to run shocks ranging from 94mm-104mm (3.5"-4.1"). That is just a guide and can be changed to suite the user of the chassis. I bet you will be much happier with a shorter shock setup.

Thank you once again for taking a look at our chassis. I would love to see some action pics. The setup looks great!!!

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You might be able to fit the battery on the skid if you outboard the nuts on the upper links??? Prob not becuase that chassis is narroer than mine.

dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
RCC Addict

What is the width of your skid you are running?

-Jason
Old 06-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
WOOPOOW!!

Lovin it! Cant wait til i can afford me one of these montrucks chassies
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It is because of how low the upper link mounts are, not a width issue, my old chassis was the same width.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Any updates? How did it preform? -Jason
Old 06-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Well, I got prematurely rained out, but it seemed to do pretty well with the chance I got to run it. I was blown away by how much more .5" ground clearance will help in breakovers, but, I could pick up on a bit higher center of gravity. Not much, but enough to notice. Of course this could probably be fixed if I ran the batt on the back axle and the ESC on the skid, and servo taped the servo and dig switches together or used a Punk RC dig switch deal. All and all I would say its a good chassis. I will know more when I test on more smooth rock, then I can tell how it sidehills and handle hard throttle climbs.

And sorry for the no pics I could tell I was going to be rained out so I left the camera at home.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Great, sounds like the chassis is doing well for you!! Did you have any luck yesterday on getting some more testing in? -Jason
Old 06-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Actually I did, I ran another pack through my buddies backyard course, which is actually pretty f-ing brutal and I have gotta say, the chassis was great, and I LOVE 3.5" belly clearance. I was holding some killer lines on sidehills, just as well as before (thanks panther) and the break over was awesome. I am really debating what to run at the state finals next weekend now, as this chassis has surprised me.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Actually I did, I ran another pack through my buddies backyard course, which is actually pretty f-ing brutal and I have gotta say, the chassis was great, and I LOVE 3.5" belly clearance. I was holding some killer lines on sidehills, just as well as before (thanks panther) and the break over was awesome. I am really debating what to run at the state finals next weekend now, as this chassis has surprised me.

GREAT that is what I wanted to hear!! So you are thinking of running our new chassis next weekend in the state finals???

Keep up the great work and let me know if you need anything!!!

-Jason

Last edited by KrawlOff-Road.com; 06-11-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Any more updates?

-Jason

Last edited by KrawlOff-Road.com; 06-11-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

After running this chassis and being very surprised by it, I gave more detailed feedback to Jason, and in our conversation he offered me a spot on Team Krawler Hobbies. And I accepted. So I will for sure be running this chassis and hope to do well at the Texas State Finals with it, and am looking to keep my 1st place standing in the TXRCO 2.2 series ender comp at the end of this month.

I will be making a few changes though, but I will post them as I get to them.

Last edited by 4xFord; 07-15-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I hope to have your new prototype skid there before state finals!! Hope all is good and hope the chassis is still running good for you.

-Jason